Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Feb 2013 (Saturday) 21:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does anyone use a iPad or other tablet?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 25, 2013 17:12 |  #46

Littlejon Dsgn wrote in post #15651107 (external link)
I see your points. My laptop is not even close to that light and wont be any time soon lol since I switched to a desktop unit as my main computer. So a tablet fit all the bills I needed. I do zero editing while I travel, I am lucky to have enough time to start my backup before crashing on the bed most nights. The tablet just fit my needs better then a new laptop at the price I was willing to spend.

Again so many ways to skin the cat, just gotta decide which is best for your needs and run with it.

Yeah I don't do any editing when I use the tablet either. I don't even put raw on it anymore. The JPEGs are nearly instant with wireless transfer so I just do that.

I hear ya though. My old laptop didn't go many places with me. It wasn't bigger like yours but the screen was garbage and battery was lucky to get 2 hours. The tablet won just about every bullet point until the new laptop came aboard. I spec'd both laptops out as my primary machine so I don't have to do multiple transfers of raw files. It's basically a flat tower with all kinds of junk plugged into it at home.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
mike1812
337 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2013 18:56 |  #47

tgara wrote in post #15647006 (external link)
While I’ve said here and elsewhere that the iPad is not ideal for Raw image backup, this notion that the iPad is nothing more than a glorified picture frame fails to appreciate the power and flexibility of the iPad and its apps. For many, the iPad can act as a complete mobile platform to edit and share photos on the go, particularly for JPGs and cameras that use SD cards. As an example, I set up a workflow for my wife’s Powershot SX260, where she imports the JPGs into her iPad using Apple’s Camera Connection kit, edits the images in iPhoto for iOS or other photo editing app (adjusting color, contrast, and cropping mainly), then posts them to a Photostream, blog, or Facebook. The main advantage here is that the images can be shared or posted quickly, instead of waiting 5-10 days to get home before posting and sharing. And carrying the iPad beats schlepping her MacBook Pro around any day.

I’m experimenting with a similar workflow for my 5D3: shooting Raw images onto the CF card and JPGs onto the SD card. I can edit the JPGs on my iPad for sharing immediately. The Raw images get stored onto a mobile hard drive for more extensive processing on my iMac when I get home. So far, this has been a great way for us to edit and share photos essentially in real time during a trip — particularly for important family gatherings like Christmas, baptisms, milestone birthdays, etc.

The iPad has other advantages I can see for pro photographers too. With the right choice of apps, it’s possible to prepare and sign documents like model releases, contracts, etc. There are also apps that accept payments, track business expenses, store copies of photo manuals, schedule client meetings, etc. Folks who view the iPad as just a tool for viewing photos do not fully appreciate how much the device can actually do for photographers.

^^this. I bought an iPad mini solely for photography purposes. For those quick reviews with the model, or a fast edit and post online, it's been great. And as mentioned, using a model release app is fast and efficient. Then you have apps like Square for payment. The tablet is a great field tool with multiple uses, but it will never replace my pc and 30" monitor for serious editing. I just added a Seagate Wireless Plus 1tb Wifi drive to my arsenal, and that allows for extra storage for the iPad.

EF 135L | EF 70-300 L | ST-E3-RT | (4) Einstein E640s | Sekonic L-758 | Sony A7RII Gripped | Sony A7RIII Gripped | Sony 16-35GM | Sony FE 55 f/1.8 | Sony FE 85 f/1.4 GM | Sony FE 100-400GM | Sony 1.4x | Sony HVL-60M | Sigma MC-11 | Flashpoint Xplor AD600 | Flashpoint AD200 (2)| Flashpoint AD360 | plus too many doodads to list

Africanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2013 20:16 |  #48

Can you get adobe photoshop or lightroom On a windows 8 tablet?

Canon 7D, Canon 100mm L F2.8, Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 430 ex II, Sigma 2x teleconverter, Kenko extension tubes, Vello flash cord And a few bits and peices and a Yashica 635!!!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 25, 2013 20:19 |  #49

Africanphoto wrote in post #15652038 (external link)

Not if it has an Atom processor. The true Intel processors will work, though.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Africanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2013 20:21 |  #50

On an ipad? Or android based one?

Canon 7D, Canon 100mm L F2.8, Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 OS, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 430 ex II, Sigma 2x teleconverter, Kenko extension tubes, Vello flash cord And a few bits and peices and a Yashica 635!!!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 25, 2013 20:24 |  #51

Africanphoto wrote in post #15652066 (external link)
On an ipad? Or android based one?

There are Photoshop apps but they aren't the same as real Photoshop. No to Lightroom.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

jemanner
625 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 25, 2013 20:26 |  #52

Jon wrote in post #15652056 (external link)

This is good to know. So, something like a Surface Pro?

Jim

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 25, 2013 20:28 |  #53

IIRC, yes. You need a full-blown PC to do the job; I think Microsoft hanstrung the OS, since I can run DPP on my Acer netbook with an Atom processor as long as my actual screen dimensions are large enough.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Africanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2013 20:57 |  #54

Are there any camera related apps for an atom proccessor? I'm looking at getting this one:

http://www.jbhifi.com.​au …-tablet-black-sku-346776/ (external link)

From what I can read its the same as this

http://www.asus.com …oTab_Smart#spec​ifications (external link)

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2013 21:08 |  #55

Africanphoto wrote in post #15652038 (external link)

Yes, I have Lightroom on my Lenovo Tablet 2. It's an Atom so performance isn't great, but it'll work just fine for organizing and batch importing / exporting. Spending time in the Develop module will take some patience, however.

A device like the Surface Pro will perform much better however you'll sacrifice battery life.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2013 21:10 |  #56

Jon wrote in post #15652056 (external link)

That's not accurate, an Atom is an x86 processor and will run all Windows apps.

Jason
Canon 1DX Mark II | 16-35 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2013 21:14 |  #57

Africanphoto wrote in post #15652179 (external link)
Are there any camera related apps for an atom proccessor? I'm looking at getting this one:

http://www.jbhifi.com.​au …-tablet-black-sku-346776/ (external link)

From what I can read its the same as this

http://www.asus.com …oTab_Smart#spec​ifications (external link)

*ALL* Windows apps will run on Atom devices, it is an Intel x86 processor. The poster that said Atom devices won't run Windows apps was incorrect.

Jason

CincyTriGuy
567 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2013 21:15 |  #58

Jon wrote in post #15652081 (external link)
IIRC, yes. You need a full-blown PC to do the job; I think Microsoft hanstrung the OS, since I can run DPP on my Acer netbook with an Atom processor as long as my actual screen dimensions are large enough.

DPP runs on my Windows 8 Atom tablet just fine. You're making inaccurate comments.

I believe you're thinking of Windows RT devices based on ARM architecture. ARM and Atom are entirely different architectures, and ARM devices are not capable of running legacy x86 Windows apps.

Jason

Africanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2013 22:15 |  #59

Okay. I mainly want to use lightroom so I can just transfer from camera to tablet and the possibly to a hard drive. Can you use hard drives to connect? I'm sorry for all these questions I'm about as tech savy as a rock...

DPP?

Africanphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
124 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2013 22:50 |  #60

Okay this is my last question. Would this choice be better than te one above?

http://m.thegoodguys.c​om.au …uct&modelno=ME4​00C-1B035W (external link)

sponsored links

7,369 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does anyone use a iPad or other tablet?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.