Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 11 Jan 2006 (Wednesday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help from any New Yorkers

Northern ­ Tony
186 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 11, 2006 14:26 |  #1

Hi,

I am visiting New York over the Easter holidays and I have heard that many shops and attractions may be closed during the holidays.

Is there any truth in this rumour?

What shops and attractions are open?

Northern Tony
Canon EOS 40D, EOS 350D & more gear than I started with and know how to use properly!

http://www.tonybaileyp​hotography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
MAS
80 posts
Joined Sep 2002

Jan 12, 2006 08:14 |  #2

Hi, I'm not a New Yorker, but look at this other topic, which was opened recently (New York trip):

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=125325

I'm gonna visit New York already in February and then all photo shops (if You ment those) should be open as usual, I hope :D

Regards,

Markku

Canon 7Dm2, 7D w/BG-6E+40D w/BG-E2; EF 24-105 L IS, EF-S 17-85 IS; EF 85/1.8, EF 300/4 L IS, EF 70-200/4 L IS, EF 100/2.8 macro, EF 100-400 L IS, 1.4x II, 580EX II; Sigma 10-20, 30/1.4 EX , EF-500 DG Super+ Sto-Fen Omni; Kenko Tube Set etc.
Canon G2 + Lensmate; Velbon D700, Manfrotto 449 + 322RC2, 2xPOTN Strap, Lowepro Reporter 650 AW + Toploader 75 AW, Elincrom D-Lite 4 set, etc.

imagestablized
100 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 16, 2006 13:52 as a reply to  @ MAS's post |  #3

Well unfortunately for you, I would do all of your camera shopping before April 12. That is when Passover begins and since B&H and Adorama are ran by Jews, they will be closed until the 20th.

I remember having off in HS for 2 weeks for Easter and going into the city finding them closed.

However have no fear its NYC! You still can have loads of fun, EVERYTHING else will be open. Some stores will prolly be closed for Good Friday and Easter.

Shopping around 5th Ave and E57th. Bars and lounges by NYU. Eating anywhere.

-IMAGESTABILIZED-
20D with BG- E2
A2
20-35 3.5 - 5.6
50 1.4
80- 200 2.8L
420EX

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 16, 2006 13:54 |  #4

I was in NYC on a Saturday and B&H was closed, I knew that ahead of time. Saved myself heartache.

SuzyView

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Northern ­ Tony
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 19, 2006 03:14 |  #5

Firstly, thanks for all kind responses to my post.

Not too sure if I will be purchasing any camera equipment whilst there but may take a look anyway so sounds like I will only be able to look through the window at B&H!!!

Mainly concerned with the fact that attractions may be closed and not be available. Personally, I could not image New York city being turned in to a ghost town over the Easter holidays but did not want to disapppint my wife as this is her first time in the Big Apple.

Incidently, it is my wife's birthday when there and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a restaurent. Her tastes in food (and mine!) are basically anything, but mainly favourites are Italian and Mexican. When in Orlando last year we visited a great place called the Melting Pot. Does anyone know if there is one in the Big Apple? Searched on the web and their site indicates that there is maybe one coming soon but no further details.

Any hints on places to go for the best photo of the skyline?

Thanks

Northern Tony
Canon EOS 40D, EOS 350D & more gear than I started with and know how to use properly!

http://www.tonybaileyp​hotography.com/ (external link)

imagestablized
100 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2006 06:36 as a reply to  @ Northern Tony's post |  #6

SOOOOO Many good restaurants. Well if you want top notch Italian you go to Coco Pazzo on the Upper East side, E74th and 5th Ave. I hear its not as popular since I went because they changed chef's, but people say the food is still good. Check out the Rainbow Room for dinner and dancing (reservations must be made), its owned by Cipriani, who is Mr Italian food NY. A ton of nice restaurants could be tucked away East or West Village.

-IMAGESTABILIZED-
20D with BG- E2
A2
20-35 3.5 - 5.6
50 1.4
80- 200 2.8L
420EX

imagestablized
100 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2006 06:38 as a reply to  @ Northern Tony's post |  #7

SOOOOO Many good restaurants. Well if you want top notch Italian you go to Coco Pazzo on the Upper East side, E74th and 5th Ave. I hear its not as popular since I went because they changed chef's, but people say the food is still good. Check out the Rainbow Room for dinner and dancing (reservations must be made), its owned by Cipriani, who is Mr Italian food NY. A ton of nice restaurants could be tucked away East or West Village.

You can view the skyline at the Empire State Building, Rainbow Room, and one of the Rockafeller Center buildings.

-IMAGESTABILIZED-
20D with BG- E2
A2
20-35 3.5 - 5.6
50 1.4
80- 200 2.8L
420EX

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 19, 2006 06:46 |  #8

There are good places to get Italian in Little Italy downtown. If you want really good Chinese food, walk to Chinatown and just go into any crowded shop with barbeque chickens and pork in the window and lots of Chinese people eating inside. Avoid any place with just caucasians in it. Dead giveaway that it's not authentic :). I highly recommend the Rainbow Room, although very pricey. If you go by Times Square, you can walk to some great Deli's. I went to the Stage Diner and my son went to the Carnegie Diner. Those places have the best sandwiches ever. It would take two people to eat one sandwich. Have the hot pastami on rye with mustard. It's my favorite!

SuzyView

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

imagestablized
100 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 19, 2006 21:51 |  #9

O i forgot to tell you, my favorite restaurant is Fratelli Restaurante on Mulberry Street/Canal. Its consistantly good and really cheap

-IMAGESTABILIZED-
20D with BG- E2
A2
20-35 3.5 - 5.6
50 1.4
80- 200 2.8L
420EX

cruzyn56
229 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 20, 2006 21:59 as a reply to  @ Northern Tony's post |  #10

Northern Tony wrote:
Any hints on places to go for the best photo of the skyline?

From across either of the rivers. The Hudson, from Weehawken, Hoboken, Liberty State Park (Jersey City). The East River from Brooklyn (across the Brooklyn Bridge) or Queens. A touristy thing to do is to take a Circle Line cruise, goes around Manhattan. You should get some good skyline shots from there.

Greg -- 20D, some lenses, underwater stuff, '01 Roadking, '76 Superglide

cruzyn56
229 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 20, 2006 22:05 |  #11

Northern Tony wrote:
I am visiting New York over the Easter holidays and I have heard that many shops and attractions may be closed during the holidays.

I think that the only day you have to worry about is Easter Sunday. NYC still depends much on tourist dollars. If you have specific attractions in mind that you would like to attend on Easter, give them a call or look them up on the internet. They might have the info posted.

I don't know how big it still is, but the Easter Parade down Fifth Avenue was one attraction on Easter Sunday.

Greg -- 20D, some lenses, underwater stuff, '01 Roadking, '76 Superglide

sponsored links

2,463 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help from any New Yorkers
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.