Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 26 Feb 2013 (Tuesday) 19:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheap Competitors - How do they do it?

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 01, 2013 18:21 |  #106

mobei wrote in post #15780057 (external link)
What I think is that very few people on this forum are actually feeding their families with photography.
People in all types of businesses report cheats/criminals when they suspect them.

Sorry but as it applies to "real" business', I am going to call your reply BS.

As a person who has run a few businesses, I can assure you, I never gave a cats fanny about my so called competitions tax status, period.

On top of that, I would never “drop a dime” on someone I thought was bending the system because, “anonymous” is really not that so anonymous and the last thing I need to do is spend a few un-paid hours getting deposed.

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

sponsored links
mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2013 18:31 |  #107

ScubaDude wrote in post #15774156 (external link)
Have you ever made a post that didn't talk about ratting photogs out to the IRS? Why don't you just hire the mafia to knee-cap your competition?

This is a Business forum and I am offering business advice. I am offering a legal solution.
Most appear to be condoning illegal behavior.
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for a few good men to do nothing" comes to mind.

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 01, 2013 18:37 |  #108
bannedPermanent ban

mobei wrote in post #15780363 (external link)
This is a Business forum and I am offering business advice. I am offering a legal solution.
Most appear to be condoning illegal behavior.
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for a few good men to do nothing" comes to mind.

So, making a dollar and keeping is now considered evil? Any federal prosecutor who is honest will tell you that we ALL commit federal felonies every day. No exceptions. If you were given the max for every crime you've committed, just within the last month, you would spend the rest of your life in prison and wouldn't be eligible for parole until long after you're dead. Turn yourself in and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr page (external link)

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2013 18:38 |  #109

Channel One wrote in post #15780329 (external link)
Sorry but as it applies to "real" business', I am going to call your reply BS.

As a person who has run a few businesses, I can assure you, I never gave a cats fanny about my so called competitions tax status, period.

On top of that, I would never “drop a dime” on someone I thought was bending the system because, “anonymous” is really not that so anonymous and the last thing I need to do is spend a few un-paid hours getting deposed.

Wayne

I'm glad that you've never been in those shoes.
I will never be deposed because a link to a Facebook page sent by me means nothing. The tax authorities gather the real evidence and prosecute. You have no understanding of the system. I simply send them a link and they take it from there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure who is and isn't legit. 50% is a pretty good track record. The state tax people appreciate the leads. State revenue is hurting.

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2013 18:39 |  #110

ScubaDude wrote in post #15780390 (external link)
So, making a dollar and keeping is now considered evil? Any federal prosecutor who is honest will tell you that we ALL commit federal felonies every day. No exceptions. If you were given the max for every crime you've committed, just within the last month, you would spend the rest of your life in prison and wouldn't be eligible for parole until long after you're dead. Turn yourself in and throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

You make no sense whatsoever:confused:

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,699 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 01, 2013 18:41 |  #111

mobei wrote in post #15780395 (external link)
I'm glad that you've never been in those shoes.
I will never be deposed because a link to a Facebook page sent by me means nothing. The tax authorities gather the real evidence and prosecute. You have no understanding of the system. I simply send them a link and they take it from there. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure who is and isn't legit. 50% is a pretty good track record. The state tax people appreciate the leads. State revenue is hurting.

You honestly believe you're the source of all this??????

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 01, 2013 18:44 |  #112
bannedPermanent ban

mobei wrote in post #15780403 (external link)
You make no sense whatsoever:confused:

My post was written in clear, simple English. How hard could it be to understand?

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2013 18:44 |  #113

fotoworx wrote in post #15780412 (external link)
You honestly believe you're the source of all this??????

Could you clarify, source of what?

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2013 18:47 |  #114

ScubaDude wrote in post #15780423 (external link)
My post was written in clear, simple English. How hard could it be to understand?

Sorry I guess I run with a different crowd then you. I have never committed a felony or any other crime worse than a speeding ticket. I call you out on the statement that any federal prosecutor would tell you that everyone has committed a felony.

ScubaDude
Goldmember
1,104 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 01, 2013 18:59 |  #115
bannedPermanent ban

mobei wrote in post #15780434 (external link)
Sorry I guess I run with a different crowd then you. I have never committed a felony or any other crime worse than a speeding ticket. I call you out on the statement that any federal prosecutor would tell you that everyone has committed a felony.

Sure you have. There's a 99.9% chance that you violate the Clean Water Act every day; probably the Clean Air Act, also. Have you read every law and its associated case law?

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,157 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 01, 2013 18:59 |  #116

mobei wrote in post #15780321 (external link)
I'm the guy with the studio, feeds my family with my photography and does it while fulfilling all my legal obligations and I need more skills?:rolleyes:

I'll add something else: Why should I have to work more hours every week in order to maintain a living because others are breaking the law?

Because it has nothing to do with you. Whether they paid their inheritance tax on the $35 they inherited from Great-aunt Ethel isn't your business. Being a good photographer is your business. If their work isn't good, that will reveal itself eventually. Those who are cheating, if they are, more than likely won't ever look at photography as more than a hobby, and they'll more than likely quit and pursue another hobby in a few years, which leaves you as one of the few who has always been there and produced exceptional work.
The previous scenario, of course, was assuming that people don't find out that you like to turn people in for not paying taxes on the 25 cents they found in the parking lot; I can't imagine they would be happy.

Or perhaps the offender doesn't know he is offending. I certainly don't know all the laws, but I will willingly adhere to all I know. I am wanting to get my business name/license very soon, but I don't know exactly how to go about it. What if the tables were turned, and you were, oh, say, a 16 year old who is getting into photography? You're scraping by, doing all you know, when suddenly, someone rats on you. How would you feel?

Perhaps they aren't even doing enough business to need a license. In my state, I don't have to have a license unless I make in excess of over $4,000. If they are just doing photography on the side, or for the fun of it, they very likely are doing nothing wrong at all!

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

Channel ­ One
Goldmember
1,649 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 01, 2013 19:11 |  #117

mobei wrote in post #15780395 (external link)
I will never be deposed because a link to a Facebook page sent by me means nothing.

And it’s a finger pointing right back to you, if needed.

The tax authorities gather the real evidence and prosecute.

And they are measured upon cases they close and if needed to close one out, they will drag you into the issue, while you may not want to go there, you will.

You have no understanding of the system. I simply send them a link and they take it from there.

Oh trust me, I have a good understanding of the “system.”

Wayne

Madness takes its toll, please have exact change. (external link)

NPPA Member District 6.
SMPTE Atlanta.

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2013 19:22 |  #118

D. Vance wrote in post #15780468 (external link)
Because it has nothing to do with you. Whether they paid their inheritance tax on the $35 they inherited from Great-aunt Ethel isn't your business. Being a good photographer is your business. If their work isn't good, that will reveal itself eventually. Those who are cheating, if they are, more than likely won't ever look at photography as more than a hobby, and they'll more than likely quit and pursue another hobby in a few years, which leaves you as one of the few who has always been there and produced exceptional work.
The previous scenario, of course, was assuming that people don't find out that you like to turn people in for not paying taxes on the 25 cents they found in the parking lot; I can't imagine they would be happy.

It has everything to do with me. I'm losing money because they are breaking the law.
When they go away another just takes their place.
Or perhaps the offender doesn't know he is offending. I certainly don't know all the laws, but I will willingly adhere to all I know. I am wanting to get my business name/license very soon, but I don't know exactly how to go about it. What if the tables were turned, and you were, oh, say, a 16 year old who is getting into photography? You're scraping by, doing all you know, when suddenly, someone rats on you. How would you feel?

When you start a business you do it right. Why should I or others who do it the right way suffer at the hands of people who are lazy, ignorant or are just plain criminals. Ignorance is no excuse. I did it right why shouldn't everyone have to? Perhaps they aren't even doing enough business to need a license. In my state, I don't have to have a license unless I make in excess of over $4,000. If they are just doing photography on the side, or for the fun of it, they very likely are doing nothing wrong at all!

[I]Most states require you to collect sales tax.

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 01, 2013 19:25 |  #119

Channel One wrote in post #15780512 (external link)
And it’s a finger pointing right back to you, if needed.

And they are measured upon cases they close and if needed to close one out, they will drag you into the issue, while you may not want to go there, you will.

Oh trust me, I have a good understanding of the “system.”

Wayne

If it happens it happens. I didn't do anything wrong. Reporting suspected criminal behavior is being a good citizen.

erdons
299 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Apr 01, 2013 20:02 as a reply to  @ mobei's post |  #120

I work for the state sales tax revenue agency in California, look it up if you don't know who it is. I have to tell you that the state does not have the manpower or the means to go after little Jimmy who decided to turn his hobby into a business and makes a few thousand dollars a year, there are much bigger fish to fry than someone who evaded the state for a couple of hundred dollars in sales tax. I'm sure many people have failed to pay use tax for their untaxed purchases from Adorama and Amazon, it happens all the time but in the end it's not feasible for the state to pay a hefty salary for someone to track all this. Do I condone someone starting a business without the proper permits and evading sales tax? No I don't, but instead of blaming these people for ruining your business, make your business so great that they have no choice but to hire you for your services.

5D Mark III|7D Mark II|60D|T3|24-70/f2.8|70-200/f2.8L MK II ||Canon Speedlite 600 EX RT|Canon Speedlite 580EXII|2x Alien Bee B800

sponsored links

23,065 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheap Competitors - How do they do it?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.