Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Mar 2013 (Monday) 16:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Viewing in LR vs viewing in Windows picture viewer

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 04, 2013 16:25 |  #1

Has anyone ever noticed a big difference in viewing images in LR vs viewing them in Windows picture viewer? In my case LR picture are crisp and sharp. If I view the same image, same file same computer in windows picture viewer it is noticably softer. In order to make sure it is not my image ,I export the file to my ipad and it is once again crisp and sharp. Is this a setting in Windows viewer or just the nature of the beast. I ask because if I give a person an image that I see as perfect and razor sharp, if they take it home to view and use Windows picture viewer I afraid it will look soft.

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 04, 2013 16:34 |  #2

Have you eliminate the factor of display, and then the very good background color of LR as opposed to WinVr.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,475 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2013 16:41 |  #3

The world is imperfect and that is not fair. Windows Picture Viewer is very imperfect and that is even less fair.

Elie / אלי

gotaudi
720 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 04, 2013 16:43 |  #4

(if you are working with raw photos) I believe windows picture viewer will use the embedded jpeg photo in the raw file to view it. Lightroom on the other hand will extract the raw data then apply the default Lightroom adjustments on the raw data to create a photo.

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 04, 2013 22:10 |  #5

The display has been ruled out. It is the same computer monitor and all. Even when converted to jpeg in LR it is razor sharp.....viewed in Windows picture viewer witch happens to be a default viewer on a lot of computers it downgrades the images big time....the real test was exporting the file via email and opening it on my iPad. Once again razor sharp! This happens on all images I view in windows picture viewers. Seems that windows picture viewer may just be a big dog! Any suggestions on a picture viewer for Windows that will show an actual representation of the image?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 04, 2013 22:26 |  #6

If you post both a screen shot from Lightroom and then one from the Windows viewer that clearly shows the problem/difference we may be able to give more "informed" input. Just make sure the shots conform to the POTN limits (1024 pixels at the widest, no bigger than 150KB file size).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 05, 2013 09:53 |  #7

flashpoint99 wrote in post #15677753 (external link)
The display has been ruled out. It is the same computer monitor and all. Even when converted to jpeg in LR it is razor sharp.....viewed in Windows picture viewer witch happens to be a default viewer on a lot of computers it downgrades the images big time....the real test was exporting the file via email and opening it on my iPad. Once again razor sharp! This happens on all images I view in windows picture viewers. Seems that windows picture viewer may just be a big dog! Any suggestions on a picture viewer for Windows that will show an actual representation of the image?

Do you realize that Windows Picture Viewer looks at a relatively low resolution preview image imbedded by the camera into the RAW data, while LR generates a brand new preview according to the preview generation quality parameters that you set up within LR?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 05, 2013 11:02 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #15679161 (external link)
Do you realize that Windows Picture Viewer looks at a relatively low resolution preview image imbedded by the camera into the RAW data, while LR generates a brand new preview according to the preview generation quality parameters that you set up within LR?!

So how do you explain the image degradation of a jpeg?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 05, 2013 13:58 |  #9

flashpoint99 wrote in post #15679444 (external link)
So how do you explain the image degradation of a jpeg?

If the JPEG has a large pixel dimension (say, the original camera resolution of 5000+ pixels wide) then Windows Picture Viewer must resample it to make it fit on the screen. Presumably, it doesn't do as good a job at resampling an existing JPEG, compared to Lightroom's freshly rendered preview of the raw file (plus edits, if any).

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 06, 2013 09:10 as a reply to  @ nathancarter's post |  #10

I don't use Windows Picture viewer, but I have noticed some differences in pictures when they are displayed on the desktop background or screen saver, which may utilize the same engine. One picture in particular that had to have quite a bit of noise reduction that looks great in all other programs looks very very bad on the desktop background.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 06, 2013 09:44 |  #11

Here is the issue. I shoot dance recitals. I take great time and effort to make sure I capture sharp,focused images, the results I get are very very nice. Normally I present the dancers parents images on a thump drive for their personal use. Unfortunately a good majority of these people will view the shots on WinVr. The majority of these people plug in the thumb drive and open it to view the pics not knowing the images have been degraded. They dont use LR or PS ect...What alternative can I suggest to these people besides WinVr witch is there default viewer?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 06, 2013 11:40 |  #12

As I requested a day ago:

tonylong wrote in post #15677808 (external link)
If you post both a screen shot from Lightroom and then one from the Windows viewer that clearly shows the problem/difference we may be able to give more "informed" input. Just make sure the shots conform to the POTN limits (1024 pixels at the widest, no bigger than 150KB file size).

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 06, 2013 13:08 |  #13

Asked an answered. Really dont see the point of posting a couple pictures of pictures off a monitor. Apparently this is a know issue with WinVr. Thanks for all the responses

sponsored links

2,449 views & 0 likes for this thread
Viewing in LR vs viewing in Windows picture viewer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.