Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 12:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using MULTIPLE strobes - creative examples - post yours! (2)

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 01, 2015 18:05 |  #1171

2 x cl-360 with 7" reflectors and cl-600 as the main with QB43 and a cl-360 in a 7' para as fill.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I AM SHOM

sponsored links
RedCatPhoto
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 02, 2015 13:47 |  #1172

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7386/16429708525_edd85981a6_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/r2Qx​WD  (external link) Andrea (external link) by jmbruchez - other stuff (external link), on Flickr

JM - facebook (external link) - website (external link) - gear list

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,281 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 02, 2015 17:31 |  #1173

IMAGE: http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h433/shutter_dreams/x100s/DSCF5518-5_zps40748ea5.jpg

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by dmward.

Feb 05, 2015 17:14 |  #1174

This is a head shot from a workshop I conducted awhile ago.
5 Einsteins. Two on background, main in big soft silver PLM, fill in midsize PLM shoot through.

IMAGE: http://dmwfotos.com/galleries/people/deniseheadshots/photos/20120205HEADSHOTMANIA2172.jpg

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 05, 2015 17:22 |  #1175

From a recent baby portrait session.
She's about 5 months old.
CL-360 through an umbrella, about 2 feet away and at 1/4th power.
V850 for kicker, it was in a Flash Disk about 5 feet away at 1/8th power.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://dmwfotos.com …photos/XT1B8971​-1695A.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

darekn
44 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 06, 2015 08:15 |  #1176

Practice, practice and more practice... I fell like I'm starting to make some progress, after reading these forums for a while.

Did a quick shoot with a coworker of mine, who needed to update her social media profile photo. This was shot using a mix of speedlights (2): one aimed at the background, one as hairlight; and 2 studio strobes (basically in a clam-shell setup with shoot-through umbrellas). Would prefer softboxes, but don't have any yet Shot against a textured light gray wallpaper. For the most part I'm just eyeballing the lighting ratios and position. How did I do here; CC welcome and appreciated, as always.

HOSTED PHOTO

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by golfecho. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2015 08:48 |  #1177

darekn wrote in post #17418169 (external link)
Practice, practice and more practice... I fell like I'm starting to make some progress, after reading these forums for a while.

Did a quick shoot with a coworker of mine, who needed to update her social media profile photo. This was shot using a mix of speedlights (2): one aimed at the background, one as hairlight; and 2 studio strobes (basically in a clam-shell setup with shoot-through umbrellas). Would prefer softboxes, but don't have any yet Shot against a textured light gray wallpaper. For the most part I'm just eyeballing the lighting ratios and position. How did I do here; CC welcome and appreciated, as always.

Looks great. Subject is well separated from the background, very subtle shadowing on facial structures to bring them out. Nice catch lights in the eyes (did you want two in each eye?) This is what I would expect from a professional portrait studio. Just IMHO. By the way, how far in front of the background was your subject?

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

darekn
44 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 06, 2015 09:00 as a reply to  @ golfecho's post |  #1178

Thanks for your comments; I'm pretty happy with the end result. I think I would prefer just a single catchlight though; would you simply remove the lower one in post? She was seated about 3-4 feet away from the background.

Sometimes I wonder if clients notice catchlights to begin with, or is it just us photographers obsessing about them ;-)a

Darek

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2015 09:47 |  #1179

darekn wrote in post #17418237 (external link)
Thanks for your comments; I'm pretty happy with the end result. I think I would prefer just a single catchlight though; would you simply remove the lower one in post? She was seated about 3-4 feet away from the background.

Sometimes I wonder if clients notice catchlights to begin with, or is it just us photographers obsessing about them ;-)a

Darek

Well as a client I would be very happy with the results. The one thing I would request in post is to very slightly whiten the front tooth that is slightly darker than the rest. Maybe I'm the only one who notices that, but when I was a kid, I got a bang in the teeth, and the enamel coating on one of my front teeth was cracked. Now (45 years later) that tooth is still very noticeably darker than my others. I am constantly whitening my "dark tooth" whenever I get a picture of myself. Maybe that's why I'm behind the camera instead of in front of one . . .

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

RicoTudor
629 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Feb 06, 2015 23:15 |  #1180

darekn wrote in post #17418169 (external link)
How did I do here; CC welcome and appreciated, as always.

That b/g pattern is the shiznit! I intend to steal it. :) I already give this portrait grade A, so the following are minor nits only. First, brighten the tooth as mentioned by golfecho. Second, crop the jacket halfway to the neck. Third, greatly enlarge and slightly dim the secondary main: this means a softbox or panel. The catchlight will then be naturally more diffused, and the fact gets a little more definition (less flat). Bravo!

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

bartc
Goldmember
1,862 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2015 02:09 |  #1181

some fun with a fiber optic dress

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

-Bart
5D mk3 gripped |EF 28-70mm F2.8L | EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS | A Big @ss lightbank...and all sorts of modifiers

http://bartcepekphotog​raphy.com (external link)

darekn
44 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2015 08:17 as a reply to  @ RicoTudor's post |  #1182

Thanks Rico, do you think the reflector below, rather than the second umbrella, would work better here? ...and the background is your tipical light gray office wallpaper :lol:

RicoTudor
629 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Feb 07, 2015 21:18 |  #1183

darekn wrote in post #17419991 (external link)
..., do you think the reflector below, rather than the second umbrella, would work better here? ...

There's no single correct clamshell setup, and yours is certainly mainstream. My personal taste runs to harder directional light, but if I did use a clamshell then I would try to give it a single-source look in the catchlight. If the lower light source is large, it will more resemble fill rather than a secondary key. This, and other, variations are nicely demonstrated by Lindsay Adler at http://kelbyone.com …l-foolproof-beauty-light/ (external link) , specifically the BD and white reflector.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

psurrette
529 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 07, 2015 21:57 |  #1184

7 lights were used in this setup...... 2 main left and right, one from directly above, 2 with barn doors to create some highlights, 2 with shoots, one to create hot spot on amp and one to create hotspot on guitar.

IMAGE: http://www.petesurrette.com/Mac%20Web%20site%20galleries/Guitars/images/strat%20and%20amp%201.jpg

|SportsShooter Member (external link) | PeteSurrettePhotograph​y.com (external link) | Cameras: Fuji XT 2, Fuji XT 1 | Lens: Fuji: XF 10-24 f4, XF 16-55 f2.8 WR, XF 35 f1.4 R, XF 501.2, XF 50-140 f2.8 R, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 | Bags: Thinktank, Domke, Pelican | Feedback: 1-2-3

darekn
44 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 08, 2015 09:13 as a reply to  @ RicoTudor's post |  #1185

Thanks for the link, very informative. I think my next purchase will have to be a boom stand, so I can get the main light stand out of the way when trying to center the light perfectly over the face, unless there some tricks to doing this without a boom ???

sponsored links

701,510 views & 1,882 likes for this thread
Using MULTIPLE strobes - creative examples - post yours! (2)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.