Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 13:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Professional organizations

jonb06
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 07, 2013 13:20 |  #1

Are you a part of any professional organizations? Is there one you recommend over others?
Some offer insurance coverage and access to other member benny's, but is there professional standard respected most amongst photographers?

60D with BG-E9 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 SP et al. | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro
Canon 600EX RT | Canon 430EX II | Yongnuo 560 II | Yongnuo 565 EX
Photography and Image Works (external link)

sponsored links
Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2013 14:03 |  #2

Most of the time, insurance that is included with membership isn't worth the email it was sent on.

I used to be a member of PPA, but let my membership lapse. I didn't find it very useful, but thought their magazine was great. I just didn't see the point in paying $325/year for a magazine.

I am a member of ASMP, but ASMP is more geared to commercial and editorial photographers. I find it very useful.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

Flores
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 07, 2013 14:54 |  #3

is the PPA gear insurance not worth the $325 a year?

jonb06
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 07, 2013 14:55 as a reply to  @ Thomas Campbell's post |  #4

I'm currently a member of PPA (joined for the insurance), but I'm starting to question the validity of the membership as well as the insurance coverage. For $27 a month, I might be able to find more reliable insurance that covers drops and damage as well as theft.

Thank you for the feedback on both.

60D with BG-E9 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 SP et al. | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon 50mm f1.8 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro
Canon 600EX RT | Canon 430EX II | Yongnuo 560 II | Yongnuo 565 EX
Photography and Image Works (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2013 15:33 |  #5

Flores wrote in post #15688575 (external link)
is the PPA gear insurance not worth the $325 a year?

Not even remotely close. The insurance you get is depreciated.

So let's say you dunk your 5D mark II and 70-200mm 2.8L IS I in a lake while on a shoot. Both are trashed.

You get depreciated value. Not replacement value. You can't buy either one new anymore, but they still work fantastically.

So you are going to get a couple hundred bucks for the 5D2 and a couple hundred bucks for the 70200. But to replace both with new gear, it is going to cost you 5k.

A legit insurance program like TCPInsurance or Hill & Usher will insure it for replacement value. So when that new camera comes out, you declare your older model that is no longer sold for the replacement of the new one.

My 400 2.8L IS I is insured for $12,000 because that is what it would cost to replace it, even though I only paid $5k for it. The thing is, you pay for that higher. They don't care what cost you put on something, but you are going to pay for higher premiums the more you put on there.

Current Gear List

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 07, 2013 15:34 |  #6

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15688346 (external link)
Most of the time, insurance that is included with membership isn't worth the email it was sent on.

I used to be a member of PPA, but let my membership lapse.

Did you ever need to use the insurance, or did you not need it because you already had separate insurance?

We ultimately decided to go with PPA/Lockton Affinity for equipment and GL insurance. Since the majority of our work is video, we had trouble getting insurance from other companies. As soon as you mention "video" they try to lump you in with multi-million-dollar production houses. PPA does not explicitly exclude equipment that is used for video work: The floater just says cameras, and they're the same DSLRs we use for stills; moreover, since it explicitly includes audio recording equipment, it's reasonable to say that they don't exclude video equipment.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 07, 2013 15:42 |  #7

nathancarter wrote in post #15688729 (external link)
Did you ever need to use the insurance, or did you not need it because you already had separate insurance?

We ultimately decided to go with PPA/Lockton Affinity for equipment and GL insurance. Since the majority of our work is video, we had trouble getting insurance from other companies. As soon as you mention "video" they try to lump you in with multi-million-dollar production houses. PPA does not explicitly exclude equipment that is used for video work: The floater just says cameras, and they're the same DSLRs we use for stills; moreover, since it explicitly includes audio recording equipment, it's reasonable to say that they don't exclude video equipment.

I read their terms, but I had separate insurance before they even offered it.

I've never heard of a company excluding equipment because it is video .I have several video buddies that use H&U.

Current Gear List

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 07, 2013 15:53 |  #8

Although, to be fair, we had a business insurance agent doing the search for us. I suppose he wasn't very good, I haven't heard from him in a while and he's never at the networking events any more.

I'll look into Hill and Usher. Someone else recommended it to us less than a week ago.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 07, 2013 16:06 |  #9

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #15688721 (external link)
Not even remotely close. The insurance you get is depreciated.

Bingo. I have insurance through Photo.net/ willis einsurance. My gear is covered for its purchase price and not depreciated. Its by far the best deal I have found. I have 14K in gear insurance and a million of liability for a little over $300 a year.

PPA just didn't seems worth it.

I thought about joining my local professional photographers club just so I can hang out in person with other professional photographers....forum​s are nice but....you know. I went to a few events and seminars and then decided against it. Much of my photography work is weekend work and they meet on the weekends.....

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 08, 2013 12:58 |  #10

The equipment insurance you get with PPA is a bonus to their membership. It does not cost extra above and beyond the member dues. I will take it. You can opt to purchase replacement coverage which is the next tier up. It is competitive with H&U and TCP. Is it a reason to sign up for PPA by itself? Not in my opinion, however if you do sign up for PPA, my guess is that you are looking for more than just insurance.

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

PhotosGuy
75,850 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 10, 2013 10:53 |  #11

Photography associations and the benefits

Are you a member ASMP?
Why Join ASMP? (external link)

Question For PPA Members

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,034 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 11, 2013 07:53 |  #12

cory1848 wrote in post #15692233 (external link)
The equipment insurance you get with PPA is a bonus to their membership. It does not cost extra above and beyond the member dues. I will take it. You can opt to purchase replacement coverage which is the next tier up. It is competitive with H&U and TCP. Is it a reason to sign up for PPA by itself? Not in my opinion, however if you do sign up for PPA, my guess is that you are looking for more than just insurance.

Yes. PPA only started offering equipment insurance as a membership benefit about a year ago...everyone who has been a member over the previous 130 years joined for other reasons.

sponsored links

1,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
Professional organizations
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.