Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 28mm 1.8 ?

viperbass
89 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 07, 2013 21:29 |  #1

I have a Canon 60D with the kit 18-135 lens. I am going to Bavaria and Austria in two months. At first I was looking at a Canon 10-22 for wider shots. However after further thought, I am now leaning to the Canon 28 1.8 for better low light capabilities. I want to spend ~$600 or less.

My believe is the 28 1.8 prime would give me sharper landscape pictures as well as better lowlight/indoor shots.

Comments welcomed.

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 07, 2013 21:41 |  #2

The 10-22 will be sharper than the 28/1.8 at the edges and corners (quite important for landscape). IS will be more useful for you than 1.8 aperture for travel (assuming you need it for indoor stuff like churches etc... where the subject isn't moving).

I have never been to Bavaria or Austria, but I have been to many, many places in Europe, and I can tell you the 10-22 is my most used lens when I am there, and my 30/1.4 (similar to the 28/1.8 you are considering), is one of my least used.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Staszek
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 07, 2013 21:46 |  #3

The 28mm f/1.8 is one of my favorite lenses on my 5D3. If you want something WIDE, you'll need the 10-22mm. If you want something that will be useful for low light and street scenes, the 28mm is the way to go. Regardless, the two lenses are totally different and offer totally different results.

SOSKIphoto (external link) | Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link)| Instagram (external link)
Shooting with big noisy cameras and a bag of primes.

jaspa
233 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 07, 2013 22:36 |  #4

Staszek, do you happen to have some examples from that combo? Or can you comment on the lenses performance wider than 2.8? Looking for a cheaper wide angle with a large aperture for milky way shots/general landscape etc.

- Jason -

Condotierri
58 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 07, 2013 23:52 |  #5

I was in Vienna and Salzburg last fall. My interests are more on buildings than people so the 10-22 was on my 60D the most. For some parts of my trip, there isn't much space to back up to get a whole church. And in other places, there may be space, but they buildings around the platz are grand.

When indoors, I leaned on my ISO and when allowed, I used my Manfrotto table top tripod.

But if you enjoy people watching (and photographing), then the 10-22 is simply bad. I have the 28 f/1.8 and didn't miss it on my trip. YMMV.

5D3, 60D || 8 primes, 9 zooms
Flickr (external link)

*sigh*
Hardware Master (or something like that)
25,047 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 08, 2013 00:02 |  #6

I have a 28 1.8 and it's my favorite walk around lens on my 7D. It was the only lens I had with me in DC a year or so ago and it's worked just fine to photograph monuments and stuff. Sure a wider lens could have come in handy at times, but it forces you to get a bit creative with composition.

If you want a fast but wide lens, what about the Tokina 11-16?

-Nick | Gear | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 08, 2013 00:12 |  #7

The Tokina advice by Sigh is very good one. Its very less likely that one may be disappointed by that.
Do your homework.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

1,316 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 28mm 1.8 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.