Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Mar 2013 (Saturday) 08:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2013 16:55 |  #526

maverick75 wrote in post #16034727 (external link)
You guys should look up how many focus points $40,000-50,000 Medium Format cameras have...

Why? Is there anyone shopping in this price range that is not aware that medium format cameras are generally not well suited to many fast action genres where SLRs excel?

I think most people understand that more money for a camera does not always mean it is better at every possible thing.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jun 16, 2013 18:37 |  #527

JeffreyG wrote in post #16036748 (external link)
...I think most people understand that more money for a camera does not always mean it is better at every possible thing.

You mean like a 5DIII versus a D800?
Or, maybe a 6D versus a 7D?
Like that?

Tom

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jun 16, 2013 18:50 |  #528

RTPVid wrote in post #16036968 (external link)

These cameras are very close in price, although they (to my mind) are targeted a bit at different customers.

Like that?

I don't know.....like that?

I guess I'm still puzzled. The guy I first quoted seemed to be trying to make a point that very, very expensive MF cameras have limited (or none at all) autofocus systems.

My point.....so what? Excellent AF performance is not the calling card of these MF cameras, as fast action shooting is not their intended use.

And so back to the point I was making.....the most expensive camera you can possibly find may not be the absolute best performing camera at all possible things. MF digital cameras basically suck at sports photography despite their hefty price tags.

For that matter, the Leica M9 sucks for sports too even though it costs as much as a 1DX.

I'm not sure why this is confusing to people. AF performance is important to some people shooting some things, and in cameras that are aimed at that market then better AF systems will command a price premium.

There are other customers shooting other genres who don't give a rip about AF performance. If these people have the money and the need for what is on offer, they may be clients for Leica or one of the MF options.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 16, 2013 19:02 |  #529

JeffreyG wrote in post #16036992 (external link)
I'm not sure why this is confusing to people. AF performance is important to some people shooting some things, and in cameras that are aimed at that market then better AF systems will command a price premium.

There are other customers shooting other genres who don't give a rip about AF performance. If these people have the money and the need for what is on offer, they may be clients for Leica or one of the MF options.

Pretty much.

What you need determines what you must have. However, note that having some other things in addition to that won't hurt anything as long as there aren't any tradeoffs to get them that would affect those things you really do need.

Hence, it doesn't hurt to have a good, fast, and flexible autofocus system as long as you didn't have to trade something that matters to you in order to get it.

I, personally, tend to gravitate towards cameras that have more built-in still shot capability (I don't care about video and wouldn't use a DSLR for it even if I did because the ergonomics just aren't right for it) because I don't want the camera to ever be the limiting factor in what I can photograph. This is why I found the 7D to be (with the exception of vertical banding in the very deep shadows and lack of focus-point-linked spot metering, and both of those are relatively minor issues overall) essentially the perfect camera for my purposes.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,712 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jun 17, 2013 00:08 |  #530

JeffreyG wrote in post #16036748 (external link)
Why? Is there anyone shopping in this price range that is not aware that medium format cameras are generally not well suited to many fast action genres where SLRs excel?

I think most people understand that more money for a camera does not always mean it is better at every possible thing.

RTPVid wrote in post #16036968 (external link)
Like that?

Glad someone got the point ;)

It's the reason I'm getting that exact camera, 1 focus point is all I need.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

jonnydonut
29 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 17, 2013 20:35 |  #531

Can't get everything. I think it's a very good camera for the price. The money was in making it full frame. My understanding is that it's about equal to the 5d mkII, with some extra features.

Jonny Carroll - DTX Media. Commercial Photography (external link) and Video Production in Dallas (external link), Texas focusing on aerial photography (external link), corporate headshots (external link), greenscreen photography (external link), and etc (external link). I also do wedding video (external link), wedding photography (external link), portraits (external link), and evenphoto booth studios (external link).

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 17, 2013 20:39 |  #532

jonnydonut wrote in post #16040566 (external link)
Can't get everything. I think it's a very good camera for the price. The money was in making it full frame. My understanding is that it's about equal to the 5d mkII, with some extra features.

People aren't thinking with rationale whatsoever. Remember the cost of the 5Dc when it was released? ;) It was $3K IIRC. :lol:

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 18, 2013 15:51 |  #533

jonnydonut wrote in post #16040566 (external link)

Much better than the 5D Mark II, the high ISO performance is much improved and the AF system is more sensitive. In fact in high ISO noise and shadow raising, the 6D is slightly better than the 5D Mark III.

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

sponsored links

48,291 views & 0 likes for this thread
Still can't get over it 6D autofocus 11 points
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.