Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 12 Jan 2006 (Thursday) 20:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Meet in D.C. for Chinese New Year Parade?

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 12, 2006 20:32 |  #1

Anyone up to meeting in D.C. for the Chinese New Year Parade? It's not as spectacular as the one in NYC, but it should be fun. I will get details to when it starts. It's usually on a weekday in the morning.

SuzyView

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, 7D2, SL1, G12, iPad Pro, iPhone 6P, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links
BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 13, 2006 07:52 |  #2

Suzy, I would like to see pictures of this event. Please post them if you do get to take pics. I think the Chinese arch-gateway thingie near the Metro Station on Avenue H is very pretty, it would be nice to use that to 'frame' the parade.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 13, 2006 08:17 |  #3

I missed the parade last year because they had it mid-week during the day. This year I am going to make sure I get there and get at least the Lion Dance part. :)

SuzyView

My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 13, 2006 08:27 |  #4

I work downtown, so I might be able to get off and get over. Sounds fun - only catch is that it'sthe Year of the Dog and I can't bring our Peke along to the office. Update - Jan. 29 (external link) is a Sunday. 2:30 PM. I'll find out this Sunday if I should expect to be in it (Potomac Valley Pekingese Club (external link))

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Tin ­ Man
206 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Jan 13, 2006 08:33 |  #5

I believe this year is on the weekend of Jan 28-29

The list is getting too long..

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 13, 2006 08:37 |  #6

I looked at the Chinese Consolidated Benevolent Association website and they said something about Sun. Jan 29 in the afternoon. That is the real Chinese New Year day. Since it's a weekend, I bet I can park at the MCI center, which is about a block from Chinatown. Why they don't have it in the morning when we could all have some Dim Sum is beyond me. :(

Also, what equipment should I bring? Thinking about the 18-55 kit lens and my 50 1.4.

SuzyView

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 13, 2006 08:44 |  #7

You might want the 85 (or longer?) to pick out individuals. Do I recall you have a 28-135? That'd be good. Also, if you're not used to it, a good time to try working between 2 cameras, so you don't need to worry about lens changes so much. At Kensington's Labor Day Parade (on one side of Connecticut Ave - 3 lanes) I was using the 24-70 and 100-400.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 13, 2006 12:56 |  #8

I do have the 28-135 IS. I think I will bring that instead. It will also depend on the weather. I didn't want a whole lot of eqiupment because it can be crowded. But since I've never been to one in D.C., I just don't know. I thought I should bring a wider lens and then crop later. Oh, and I'm leaning toward getting the Tamrac Velocity 7 or 9. I figure if the 7 can fit my 20D with the 28-135 on it and then one other lens, that's what I'll do.

Thanks.

SuzyView

Wrench
628 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 14, 2006 20:50 as a reply to  @ SuzyView's post |  #9

I will try to be there!! Have never tried to shoot something like this. I suppose I would be better off with my 70-200 as opposed to a 24-70??

Tony
-60D. Sigma 10-20 EX, Sigma17-50 f/2.8 EX, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX, Canon 100mm macro f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8.

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 14, 2006 21:52 |  #10

I don't know what to expect, really. Never shot a parade. I guess everything will be in motion. I may bring my 20D and EOS 3. I'll put the 28-135 on my EOS 3 and 85 1.8 on the 20D. That way I get both. I may let my 17 year old have one to work with. He wants to get into this a little (I hope he realizes that Mom's equipment costs more than his college tuition) ;)

We should decide on a meeting place. I recommend meeting as close to the arch as possible.

SuzyView

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 15, 2006 11:05 |  #11

Tony wrote:
I will try to be there!! Have never tried to shoot something like this. I suppose I would be better off with my 70-200 as opposed to a 24-70??

I'd think the 24-70 would be better than the 70-200. You're going to either be in close or too far behind the crowd to see anything.

Better figure on a fairly early meeting time to stake out a curbside spot. White lenses can only do so much!

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

SuzyView
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
32,073 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jan 15, 2006 13:41 |  #12

I have church until 12:30, will be driving in from Woodbridge. Hopefully we will get there by 1:45. I am hoping to park at the MCI Center underground. It's about half a block from Chinatown. If my family is with me, I will hunt you guys down by myself. They've never seen the parade and are really excited. I want to get some good roast pork so I will be around after they finish.

SuzyView

Wrench
628 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 15, 2006 15:22 |  #13

What's the best way to get into Chinatown? I'll be coming in on the train. Is there a stop in Chinatown?

Tony
-60D. Sigma 10-20 EX, Sigma17-50 f/2.8 EX, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX, Canon 100mm macro f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.8.

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Jan 15, 2006 15:37 as a reply to  @ Wrench's post |  #14

Wrench wrote:
What's the best way to get into Chinatown? I'll be coming in on the train. Is there a stop in Chinatown?

Gallery Place-Chinatown Station, on the Red Line. This will take you really close to the Arch on Avenue H. The train platform area is great to photograph as well.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

futura
Goldmember
1,370 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jan 15, 2006 16:55 |  #15

I would love to go!!! anyone willing to shout me a ticket :p

Various gear
...and most importantly my left eye!
Website (external link)
Flickr page (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links

10,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
Meet in D.C. for Chinese New Year Parade?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.