Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 Mar 2013 (Monday) 10:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Body Cleaning

rpearlberg
84 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 11, 2013 10:00 |  #1

There is a spot showing up in my pictures. I've changes lenses and it's not that, so it must be the body.
A local shop charges $75 to clean the sensors, etc.
Is this reasonable?

I'm in CT if anyone knows of any other shops.

Thanks

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,372 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 11, 2013 11:06 |  #2

It depends. Most learn to do it themselves. A cleaning kit can cost as little as $30 and it will last you pretty much the rest of your life depending on how often you clean. :) Ok, that's an exaggeration, but I still do have my first cleaning kit purchased way back in maybe 2006 and it has cleaned sensors from and 300D, XT, XTi, 40D, 50D, 5Dc, 5DII, and 7D with a few others tossed in from time to time for friends and family and I'm only 1/2 through the materials. :):). So I figure my DYI cleaning is going to turn out to be something like 30 cents a cleaning so your $75 is a 250x markup. :)

But if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself or learning how to do it yourself, then the cost sounds maybe a little high but not unreasonable high.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
55,372 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 11, 2013 11:10 |  #3

Wow, I just checked and the cost has gone up. Back when I bought my kit it was $30. Now it's $48
http://www.micro-tools.com …spx?ItemCode=DI​GI-KIT4A-F (external link)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 12, 2013 06:29 |  #4

rpearlberg wrote in post #15701972 (external link)
A local shop charges $75 to clean the sensors, etc.
Is this reasonable?

Is it reasonable to charge $75 to do something that most people can easily do themselves in less than 2 minutes? Well, I suppose that all depends on how much you value $75. If you're a billionaire then I suppose $75 is reasonable.

Personally, I'd have laughed in their faces.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

rpearlberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2013 12:03 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #5

i got a rocket air blaster...

what do I do, just take the lens off and use it? I couldn't find any sort of cleaning mode on the camera. Do I turn the camera on/off before I try this?

This is a Rebel T3.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 12, 2013 12:24 |  #6

rpearlberg wrote in post #15706666 (external link)
i got a rocket air blaster...

what do I do, just take the lens off and use it? I couldn't find any sort of cleaning mode on the camera. Do I turn the camera on/off before I try this?

This is a Rebel T3.

Page 173 of your manual (an amazingly useful thing - especially the index, under Sensor Cleaning).

• Blast the rocket blower anywhere away from the camera a few times (to remove any crud that may be inside).
  • Remove the lens from the camera.
  • Put the camera into manual cleaning mode as described in the manual.
  • Point the rocket blower into the inside of the camera (the area known as the mirror box) but keep the end of the nozzle outside the mirror box.
  • Give a few sharp blasts with the blower.
  • Switch the camera off.
  • Replace the lens.
  • Take an image of a bright, out-of-focus area (sky, white wall) at f22 and check the image for dark blobs.
  • If needed, repeat.
  • If you still have blobs then you'll need to investigate wet cleaning, or a Lenspen SensorKlean.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

gjl711
55,372 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 12, 2013 13:15 |  #7

THe first time through is the most difficult so plan on spending a little more than two minutes. As with many things the cleaning is quite simple but there are some things you really have to watch. If done sloppy or carelessly, you can do some serious damage.

Tips for the blower:
- Mount the camera on a tripod or at least on a table top. This frees both hands to do the blowing.
- Make sure that your battery has at least 10~15 minutes of charge. I never clean unless the battery is at least 1/2 charged. The last thing you want to happen is that the shutter closes while you are puffing.
- Use one hand to press the bulb and do the blowing and use the other hand to control the tip. Take lots of care so that the tip does not scratch the sensor.
- U bunch of medium blows is safer than a couple really aggressive ones. Te last thing you want to do is poke the sensor with the tip of the blower.
- Don't get frustrated if it doesn't get everything off the first time. Most times several cleaning cycles are needed. THis is true when wet cleaning as well.
- Sometimes things just will not come off using the blower. If that's the case, time to try another method. THere are many to choose from.
- When in doubt, slow down, take a step back and start over. As mentioned, cleaning is straight forward and pretty simple but it is also risky and anytime you are poking a sharp object at your sensor, bad things can happen so again, use lots of caution. Don't let the tip hit the sensor.

And for your reading pleasure:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/s​ensor-cleaning.shtml (external link)
http://www.copperhilli​mages.com/index.php?pr​=tutorials (external link)
- watch the video.
http://www.bythom.com/​cleaning.htm (external link)

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 12, 2013 15:29 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Mr. Hollis stated:
Take an image of a bright, out-of-focus area (sky, white wall) at f22 and check the image for dark blobs.

You can make this more effective by using a relatively long exposure and moving the (camera) body in a concentric circle (is that redundant?) while the exposure is being made. Since the camera is moving, ANYTHING that shows up in that shot is either on the sensor or the lens. This will tend to cover up variances in paint reflectivity and incidental reflections when shooting a light-colored wall.

I would pay $75 for a sensor cleaning. I know me. I'd ruin the darn thing obsessing about it. Oh, and I'm not a billionaire. If I were, I'd pay someone to take it to the shop for me. What the hell, dirty sensor, buy a new camera!

Gear List

rpearlberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2013 16:59 |  #9

I can't find that option in my menu...
Am I looking in the wrong place??
This is a T3

rpearlberg
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 12, 2013 17:13 |  #10

nevermind, i'm an idiot!

anyway, the blower did the trick and it's much better now!

Thanks everyone.

gfspencer
179 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 13, 2013 08:15 as a reply to  @ rpearlberg's post |  #11

I use a Visible Dust kit. The kit is a bit pricey but you do a lot of cleanings it is cost effective in the long run.

The first time you clean a sensor you will experience some nervousness but after that everything is fine.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

sponsored links

1,413 views & 0 likes for this thread
Body Cleaning
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.