Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Mar 2013 (Friday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Weird situation to sell images

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2013 14:56 |  #1

A friend of mine is in good with someone who runs a local zoo in the area. He was able to get us access to the zoo during off hours so we can run around and shoot some photos and have fun.

The third time we went there we were approached by the "Creative Director" who asked to see some of our images. He liked the images and asked about licensing them from us to use for web, promotions, etc. We never thought anyone would want to purchase these photos, it was more of a let's go have some fun kind of thing.

After a couple conversations with the "Creative Director" we have established a list of about 50 photos they would like "unlimited usage" of. We already explained that we would not want to give away the rights to the images, which they are fine with.

I have done some portrait work in the past but priced that according to my time and complexity. I was hoping someone here would have an idea of how I could price something like this? It is something I have no experience with and have never been approached for such a sale before.

Like I said, we were there just for fun and were not planning on selling the images so we were not keeping track of the time spent there, etc... We would like to give them a price that is fair to both parties. Any help would be appreciated.

sponsored links
mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 15, 2013 15:19 |  #2

When you say local zoo, is this a large zoo? I know the zoo in my area makes/raises millions a year and uses the images of the zoo and animals in all their e-mails and advertisements, including banners and t-shirts. There is big money to be made because of those images.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 15, 2013 15:35 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #3

My thoughts in this kind of situation is to let the other side offer the first set of numbers. You may be surprised...hopefully in a good way.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 15, 2013 15:36 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #4

It depends on the size of the zoo. If its like our large zoo then your talking good money. If its like some of the small zoo's I have been to they would probably laugh you out of the building if you said 2k for all of them. Yet the large zoo would probably pay 10k for them.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 15, 2013 15:37 |  #5

Foodguy wrote in post #15718901 (external link)
My thoughts in this kind of situation is to let the other side offer the first set of numbers. You may be surprised...hopefully in a good way.

This is also what I try and do anytime money is involved, I hate setting the first number.

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 15, 2013 16:15 |  #6

make sure you clearly specify in a contract the use of those images. it would suck it to getpaid for webshots to find out the were using them in other promotions, t-shirts, posters, etc.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

savone
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2013 17:01 |  #7

I appreciate all the input. This is a large zoo, I do not want to say the name, but it probably attracts a lot of out of state tourists and they have a fairly large marketing budget I am sure.

Also as far as usage, they want a price for unlimited usage. So I am guessing I should price each image as though they were using them for promotions and posters.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 15, 2013 21:32 as a reply to  @ savone's post |  #8

The local zoo here (fairly large) will ask that they are allowed to use photos you take for promotional use in exchange for allowing you to take photos in the first place. Considering the cost of taking care of such critters, it makes sense to me! ;)

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 16, 2013 10:57 |  #9

here try this:
http://www.photographe​rsindex.com/stockprice​.htm (external link)

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

Keith_D
306 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 17, 2013 04:27 |  #10

savone wrote in post #15719207 (external link)
I appreciate all the input. This is a large zoo, I do not want to say the name, but it probably attracts a lot of out of state tourists and they have a fairly large marketing budget I am sure.

Also as far as usage, they want a price for unlimited usage. So I am guessing I should price each image as though they were using them for promotions and posters.

I am also from NJ and if I am thinking of the same zoo you are talking about, they definitely have some cash to throw around based on their popularity.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 17, 2013 16:49 |  #11

50 images is a lot. You'd be silly to charge less than a few hundred per image for 'unlimited' use. It would be more economical on their end to find the 20 that they like most, then start the negotiation.

If they offer you a paycheck that doesn't have a comma in it, walk away.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 17, 2013 16:59 |  #12

I think a thing to remember is you got to do this after closing time, remember this when negotiating the price. You don't want to sour this for future use, you wash my back I will wash yours.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 17, 2013 20:31 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

JacobPhoto wrote in post #15725558 (external link)
50 images is a lot. You'd be silly to charge less than a few hundred per image for 'unlimited' use. It would be more economical on their end to find the 20 that they like most, then start the negotiation.

If they offer you a paycheck that doesn't have a comma in it, walk away.

Yep, and be stuck with some nice animal picks on your computer.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 18, 2013 01:22 |  #14

Understanding that your received preferential access to the Zoo, I would be inclined to start by asking their budget. You can then counter offer by price or quantity of photos to come to an agreement. You can provide them with a non-exclusive license for commercial use excluding merchandise, and still keep copyrights and all other opportunities to sell and distribute on your own.

Since Zoos have unique opportunities to sell merchandise such as posters, clothing, calendars, etc w your images-I would be highly motivated to come to an agreement. This could be the start of more professional work and income for you.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,346 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Mar 19, 2013 22:27 |  #15

They might not realize it, but they do have you in a bit of a tight spot.

You are really not able to sell the images to anyone else for much of anything, because the images were taken on private property, of private property. Unless they grant you a property release for each of the animals photographed, you cannot sell the images to anyone for any commercial use.

Just keep this in mind when setting a price.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,877 views & 0 likes for this thread
Weird situation to sell images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.