Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Mar 2013 (Sunday) 13:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crop Dslr portraits thread

Mavgirl
647 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 29, 2013 19:40 |  #61

:)

Every time I look at the sparkler shots I can't help but think how much I love fast primes. Doesn't matter what sensor size, they're just fun lenses.

6D/50D/350D with too many lenses
Calumet 4x5, Pentax SV 35mm, Canon A-1, Rebel G and many more toys...

sponsored links
IdiotsAbound
255 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 30, 2013 02:46 |  #62

vengence wrote in post #15763336 (external link)
For the absolute best picture ever, there's no question a 6800$ camera with a world class photographer can out do an amateur with rebel. However, there's no reason the average hobbyist with a rebel can't take a damn nice portrait to be proud of in 2013.

Put the rebel in the hands of a world class photographer and the $6800 camera in the hands on the amateur, the world class photographer will still outdo the amateur.

Broomer
556 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 30, 2013 02:58 as a reply to  @ IdiotsAbound's post |  #63

clearly someone has forgot to mention in this thread that crops can not do portraiture...:p

Paul

5DIII, 7DII, 40D, 16-35L f4, 17-55 f2.8, 24-105L, 85 1.8, 135 2.0L, 100-400L, 50 1.8 STM, 600ex-rt

costojanku
90 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 07, 2013 18:28 |  #64

So, we all know that you can take portraits with crops, but I´d rather be shown which kind of pictures you can´t take with crop (as it was nicely summed up here:
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15727220&po​stcount=16). The difference would be most pronounced with lenses such as 85 f1.2 but since practically everyone using this gear is using it on FF body, it is hard to tell where the crop camera limits are just by checking the sample threads.

So, is something like this: http://farm4.staticfli​ckr.com …53686735_5aa4cb​85a7_b.jpg (external link) (5D, 50 f1.2) doable on crop? Or this: http://www.thephotoarg​us.com …09/07/Monika_Ma​nowska.jpg (external link) ?

It might be you can get pretty close to this using 1.6x but still there is that slight extra bit of difference that makes buying FF camera worth its while.

flickr (external link)

icacphotography
612 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 07, 2013 18:48 |  #65

3rd 50D shooter who loves his 50mm 1.8 over here :). I'm also a huge fan of my 40mm 2.8

Body:50D gripped Magic Lantern'd
Lenses:50mm 1.8,40mm 2.8,28-105 USM II,70-210 F4, 1962 Asahi Pentax Super Takumar 55mm 1.8
Flash: Canon 430 EX
The camera is just a tool - it is not responsible for the picture.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 08, 2013 10:28 |  #66

costojanku wrote in post #16099827 (external link)
So, we all know that you can take portraits with crops, but I´d rather be shown which kind of pictures you can´t take with crop (as it was nicely summed up here:
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15727220&po​stcount=16). The difference would be most pronounced with lenses such as 85 f1.2 but since practically everyone using this gear is using it on FF body, it is hard to tell where the crop camera limits are just by checking the sample threads.

So, is something like this: http://farm4.staticfli​ckr.com …53686735_5aa4cb​85a7_b.jpg (external link) (5D, 50 f1.2) doable on crop? Or this: http://www.thephotoarg​us.com …09/07/Monika_Ma​nowska.jpg (external link) ?

It might be you can get pretty close to this using 1.6x but still there is that slight extra bit of difference that makes buying FF camera worth its while.

Those are certainly doable. Obviously every different camera/lens pairing is going to produce some slightly different results but you can get darned close with something like the Sigma 30mm f1.4 in places of a 50mm 1.8 on a full frame. Or the 50 1.2 in place of the 85 1.4. What you will find very difficult to mimic would be the 50mm f1.2 on a full frame as you would need something like a 30mm f .8 which no one makes.

That's assuming that close ups shot with razor thin depth of field is the most important thing to you. It's all about your individual style. Many Pulitzers have been won with the "f8 and be there" mentality and most of those would likely be really lousy with a narrow depth of field. One great example is Kevin Carter's shot of the Sudanese child and the vulture. http://humanivoltus.fi​les.wordpress.com/2010​/12/kc.jpg (external link) . Had he shot this at f1.8 or even 2.8, either the child or the vulture would be out of focus.

I know that razor thin DOF is the "in" thing at the moment but I see a ton of people churning out a lot of thin DOF crap with as much attention to composition and lighting as the average instagram pic. Don't become one of them.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jul 08, 2013 13:50 |  #67

costojanku wrote in post #16099827 (external link)

The only thing that you can get on a FF that you can't get on a crop is the 1/2 step of ISO from the difference in the amount of photons hitting the sensor.

kumicho
402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 08, 2013 14:15 |  #68

I've found if you ride your bike fast enough while taking a self-portrait, the background blurs itself out without any need for this newfangled "full frame"...

IMAGE: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-D8lC7OVi2zI/T3OBeYidFCI/AAAAAAAABJY/6bWc5V-9pBM/w1269-h846-no/Pandaportrait2.JPG

Canon 400d
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
Canon 100mm f/2.0
Canon EOS M
Canon 22mm f/2.0

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 08, 2013 14:23 as a reply to  @ kumicho's post |  #69

I never understood the need for people to have a DOF in a portrait of <1cm.

I have never wanted a pic of myself or my family with eyes sharp but nose , ears, and everything else blurred out.

I see the draw for other artistic purposes but those pics above with the 50 1.2 seem like a waste to me and look silly (to me).

My Flickr (external link)

t4turbo
171 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jul 08, 2013 14:52 |  #70

These were shot with a T2i and tamron lenses.
Only the last one was with my 7D and tamron lens

My viewpoint is that if there is anything that crops can do as well as FF, its portraits because its more about composition and lighting, and to a certain extent post processing.

Where FF really starts to out class crops is in High ISO situations.
Lenses really do make a world of difference, but even then, like the examples with kit lenses and nifty fiftys show, you dont even need an AMAZING lens for portraits.

You need AMAZING gear when your doing fast paced work and alot of it, because you don't have control over everything like you would when shooting portraits.

But thats another discussion entirely...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

6D 7D 50D Sigma 50 17-40L 70-200 2.8L 28-135 EOS M 22mm + 18-55
My Site -> www.jorellegatesphotog​raphy.com (external link)
My Facebook page -https://www.facebook.c​om/JorelleGatesPhotogr​aphy (external link)

costojanku
90 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 08, 2013 16:19 |  #71

jhayesvw wrote in post #16102291 (external link)
I never understood the need for people to have a DOF in a portrait of <1cm.

I have never wanted a pic of myself or my family with eyes sharp but nose , ears, and everything else blurred out.

I see the draw for other artistic purposes but those pics above with the 50 1.2 seem like a waste to me and look silly (to me).

Well, the ability to get shallow DOF is convenient in more scenarios than is the one you describe. For instance here http://www.the-digital-picture.com …L-II-USM-Lens-Review.aspx (external link) you can see how much difference there is between f1.2 and, say, f2.8 or even 1.8 (picture with the girl by the fence) and in all presented cases the model´s face is fully in focus. This one is another good example: http://fc01.deviantart​.net …92cda47caed43bc​77807a.jpg (external link) (85 f1.2 + FF). I don´t think I have seen anything like that shot with a crop. And I have not even posted examples of going wide and still having shallow DOF (like with 35 f1.4 + FF).

I am not trying to pick an argument, I just think there is a (non-negligible) sort of results you might not be able to achieve with crops and there is no shame in admitting that. I have never had FF camera in my hands so I can´t directly see for myself; this is why I ask.

flickr (external link)

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 08, 2013 17:04 |  #72

I see very few razor-thin DOF portraits that would not be improved a bit, simply by stopping down. I don't do 'sitting' portraits, but I do photograph people. I much prefer f/5.6 on my 60D and f/8 on my 5D for head- or head/shoulders shots. They just look better, IMHO. I can control background by positioning, framing, focal length and distance.

As far as apsc vs ff goes. I am pretty sure that with modern cameras it doesn't matter a whole lot unless you are printing much larger than 20"x30".

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 08, 2013 18:30 |  #73

I guess I fall into the "It doesn't matter FF or Crop" camp, but I will post one, this was taken with my Canon D60, with a Canon 28-105 lens, I loved that camera, bummed me out when it started giving me problems!
Well I'll be darned it wont let me upload the file.

Terry
www.tlmair.com (external link)

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Jul 08, 2013 18:32 |  #74

TLMair wrote in post #16102944 (external link)
I guess I fall into the "It doesn't matter FF or Crop" camp, but I will post one, this was taken with my Canon D60, with a Canon 28-105 lens, I loved that camera, bummed me out when it started giving me problems!

I know nothing of the D60. That 28-105 f/3.4-4.5 was a great lens. I am sorry I sold it. sniff-sniff

TLMair
120 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jul 08, 2013 18:36 |  #75

Ok I will try again.
I guess it was to big.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Terry
www.tlmair.com (external link)

sponsored links

30,816 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crop Dslr portraits thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.