Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Mar 2013 (Monday) 23:38
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Is a website dedicated to real-world SLR reviews by photographers a good idea?"
Yes
90.9%
No
0%
Maybe
9.1%
I don't know
0%

11 voters, 11 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

website concept: proSLRs.com

grahamclarkphoto
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 18, 2013 23:38 |  #1

Hello all!

I have an idea for a new website that I wanted to get some of your thoughts on.

There are tons of awesome websites out there for camera reviews, but the problem (in my opinion) with most of these is that they only really present one review per site, and often times the reviewers aren't working photographers, or if they are they're not professionals. What I'd like to do is build a community-based site whereby a curated selection of professional photographers review SLRs in a real-world context.

What if (as a reader) you could select reviews of the Canon 1D C based on the work of a professional photographer in a niche that you identify with:

• professional cinematographers
  • professional wedding photographers
  • professional landscape photographers
  • professional commericial photographers
  • professional street photographers
  • professional underwater photographers
  • professional wildlife photographers
  • professional model photographers
  • professional war photographers

In addition to professional reviews, the site could focus on:

• professional photographs of the cameras
  • professional photographs with the cameras
  • profile pages for photographers. links to the photographers site, social media etc.
  • reviews for photographers, by professional photographers
  • blog on all things photography. up-to-date news on pro SLRs only
  • featured: photographer of the month
  • forums for pro SLRs and photography in general

The site could look like this: http://organicthemes.c​om/demo/magazine/ (external link)
The domain could look like this: proSLRs.com
The reviews could look something like this: http://grahamclarkphot​o.com/review-canon-eos-6d/ (external link)
The photographers could look like this:

1. http://joanteasdale.co​m …istID=33760&Ake​y=8V568XFL (external link)
  2. http://www.michaelande​rsongallery.com/galler​y/favorites/ (external link)
  3. http://rudidundas.com/ (external link)
  4. http://www.marcellpuzs​ar.com/ (external link)
  5. http://grahamclarkphot​o.com/ (external link)

Any thoughts, or people interested? I already have a number of professional photographers, designers and SEO pros who are interested in moving forward with it but I wanted to get a sense from everyone here! : )

Graham

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 19, 2013 00:33 |  #2

I think it's a good idea...I use carsurvey.org a lot when buying cars (I buy/sell a lot of cars haha)...it's not pro reviews, but rather real-life user reviews...I think a lot of times that's much more beneficial than having some reviewer who spent a day with the camera/car/etc telling you what he thinks.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 19, 2013 02:16 |  #3

Personally, I prefer a direct comparison between items. Every lens and every body can produce stellar images, and seeing the trophy images will do little for me to tell the difference between units. If the reviewers comment on different cameras, i.e. the street photog compares the three different models he owned, etc., that'd be helpful.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 19, 2013 02:42 |  #4

Good idea.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 19, 2013 02:47 as a reply to  @ iowajim's post |  #5

The concept resembles many existing sites such as Fred Miranda, (external link) Luminous Landscape, (external link) Photo District News (external link), and The Digital Picture. (external link)

Also, there's the question of how much contributors would be paid. The Huffington Post model of writers working for free while the site owner makes money may be harder to sell to working professionals who make a living by the images they generate.

Kyle ­ Blunt
245 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 19, 2013 03:40 |  #6

I like the idea

EOS 1D Mark IIN | EOS 50D w/BG-E2N | EOS 40D w/BG-E2 | EF 300mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
My Website (external link)Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

sponsored links

522 views & 0 likes for this thread
website concept: proSLRs.com
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.