Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Mar 2013 (Thursday) 09:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I feel like Im the only one excited about the SL1

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 21, 2013 09:25 |  #1

My girlfriend has expressed a huge interest in getting into photography, but she's a tiny woman. She says my 5DIII is too big for her, and so we went and tried out some of the Rebel series bodies. Even those she said are just too big for her to comfortably hold.

In comes the SL1. I feel like this just might be the size she can be comfortable with. I figure get one of these and slap the 40mm pancake on there just to ease her into SLR photo. Its not too big and intimidating, and she can easily learn the basics with a good starter camera. It will be small enough to fit into her purse, but be a totally full featured DSLR.

Im probably going to buy one as soon as theyre available and surprise her.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

sponsored links
JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 21, 2013 09:35 |  #2

Here's a picture for comparison to show the size of the SL1:

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/ZifFVxX.jpg

*EDIT*

Youtube hands-on video showing the SL1 with a 40mm pancake: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=ZvFFquv3z9M (external link)

^^^Click Here^^^

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Mar 21, 2013 09:41 |  #3

I think this will be a good seller for its intended audience. Just understand that POTN is not its intended audience. :)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 21, 2013 09:45 |  #4

jrbdmb wrote in post #15739364 (external link)
I think this will be a good seller for its intended audience. Just understand that POTN is not its intended audience. :)

I feel like everyone is too busy hating the T5i to even realize how cool of a little camera this is.

^^^Click Here^^^

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 21, 2013 09:46 |  #5

here's another size comparison: http://i1266.photobuck​et.com …omparison_zps52​9efc9f.jpg (external link)

It's an interesting camera... my wife is a small person (4'10") and something like this might fit her hands pretty well.... the problem I see is the lenses. You take this tiny thing and pop on any of the gear in my signature... and you have a tiny camera hanging off of the back of a big lens... so, overall size isn't reduced by much. I'd like to see a line of optics designed that are made to fit the smaller body...

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,657 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 21, 2013 09:47 |  #6

They really need a wider pancake lens to go with it. I would love this with a 20 and 40

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 21, 2013 09:48 |  #7

No you aren't! I'm quite happy about it too :)

For almost exactly the same reasons as you in fact; gf is tiny and has tiny hands.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Tommydigi
Cream of the Crop
5,657 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 21, 2013 09:51 |  #8

You can compare all sizes at The Digital Picture ( scroll down a bit )
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …/Canon-EOS-Rebel-SL1.aspx (external link)

Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)
Canon EOS R • 5DII • 7DII • G7XII • 35 1.8 RF • 24LII • 50L • 100L • 135L • 40 STM • 16-35L F4 IS • 100-400L II • 600EX II • 270 EX II

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Mar 21, 2013 09:52 |  #9

It's better than my T3i for specs :/

Cesium
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 21, 2013 09:53 |  #10

I personally love it. Will definitely consider one for a travel camera. I hope they release a smaller wide prime lens for it; something like the 22mm f/2 for the EOSM.

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 21, 2013 09:54 |  #11

Thats awesome. Im holding my 5DIII now and really able to visualize the size of the 100D.

va_rider wrote in post #15739383 (external link)
It's an interesting camera... my wife is a small person (4'10") and something like this might fit her hands pretty well.... the problem I see is the lenses. You take this tiny thing and pop on any of the gear in my signature... and you have a tiny camera hanging off of the back of a big lens... so, overall size isn't reduced by much. I'd like to see a line of optics designed that are made to fit the smaller body...

Well now I cant stop thinking about how a 400/500/600/800L would look with a 100D attached :)

^^^Click Here^^^

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 21, 2013 10:09 |  #12

I really like it. I was thinking of the EOS-M or the Olympus m43 that everyone loves as a light travel camera but was not too excited with the thought of either the glacier slow AF of the EOSM or having to invest in a whole new system. This camera is the same width as the EOS-m AND has a standard EFS mount so I can use all of my lenses. pictures of it next to a rebel makes the T4i look huge. I would just get the kit 18-55 or maybe a 15-85 and have an awesome walk-around.

I just wish it did not have the same noisy sensor canon has been using for 4 years. Maybe version 2 of this camera will get the 24 mp sensor rumored for the 7d2 later this year?

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,597 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 21, 2013 10:10 as a reply to  @ Cesium's post |  #13

Location of * button on SL1 doesn't look convenient for focusing.
Plus small camera without small wide or normal lens isn't travel camera, IMO.

I use tiny 28mm old MF OM. Zuiko lens for my Rebel.
It is really small kit compare to my 5D with full size lens on it.
But I'm considering X20 as small, travel and walkaround advanced camera.
It looks like my first digital Rebel is my last one...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 21, 2013 10:15 |  #14

New Sigma 30mm f1.4 has a superb optics, and is only slightly heavier than this new camera (450 vs 400 g). So it should balance well. I don't see a point in pancake lens.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, Laowa 15mm 1:1 macro, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

JAcosta
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 21, 2013 10:21 |  #15

pulsar123 wrote in post #15739481 (external link)
New Sigma 30mm f1.4 has a superb optics, and is only slightly heavier than this new camera (450 vs 400 g). So it should balance well. I don't see a point in pancake lens.

The point is to keep it TINY and awesome :)

^^^Click Here^^^

sponsored links

20,033 views & 0 likes for this thread
I feel like Im the only one excited about the SL1
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.