Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Mar 2013 (Monday) 21:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tiffen filter questions.

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 25, 2013 21:09 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

I am interested in using some ND filters, but don't want to spend a ton of money to start with. I have located some Tiffen 77mm ND filters at B&H. I can get a set of 'digital' filters for $119, or buy them individually (0.6, 0.9, 1.2) and they are $20 cheaper. What is the difference?

Also, which ever way I go, can I stack these filters? How about using them on 72mm lenses like my 28-135 and 15-85? I already have 72:77 adapters for my B&W CPL.

Thanks.

Here are the links:
Set:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ital_Neutral_De​nsity.html (external link)

Individual:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …m_Neutral_Densi​ty_ND.html (external link)

Gear List

sponsored links
v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 25, 2013 21:25 |  #2

Stacking filters will inevitably lead to vignetting on wider lenses and stacking cheap filters will inevitably lead to unwanted color casts.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 26, 2013 10:04 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

v35skyline wrote in post #15755598 (external link)
Stacking filters will inevitably lead to vignetting on wider lenses and stacking cheap filters will inevitably lead to unwanted color casts.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

OK, thanks. Anyone have any ideas about the different lenses in the links?

Gear List

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,588 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 26, 2013 10:12 |  #4

Honestly, I would just avoid Tiffen, in general, as cheap glass tends to lead to cheap results. If you're looking for budget friendly filters, I would take a look at Cokin. They'll work with a holder that you can mount to any of your lenses with the appropriate adapter.

Cokin will likey give you better results that the Tiffens, as well. Just be aware that the Cokins have a tendency to give color casts (mostly magenta) when stacked.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (R5, RF 800 f/11, Canon 16-35 F/4 MkII, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

v35skyline
Goldmember
3,572 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 26, 2013 10:21 |  #5

What are your goals with ND flters?

X100s | X-Pro1 | X-T1 | XF 14 | XF 18 | XF 35 | XF 56 | XF 60 | XF 10-24
Gear List & Feedback

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 26, 2013 10:38 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I just want to pick up a few different densities of ND to play with slowing the shutter speed. Blurring backgrounds, shooting wide open (~f/2) in bright sunshine. I don't care 'too much' about the quality. If it is something I get into, I can always buy exactly what I need, after I determine what that is.

Primarily, I am wondering about the difference between the Tiffen "digital" filters, which seem more expensive: $119 for a set of .6, .9 & 1.2 filters - and the cheaper 'buy them separately" for $96 filters. I realize they won't be the best I can get in either case. Do you think it even matters at this level?

Gear List

drb_52
87 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 26, 2013 13:13 as a reply to  @ TSchrief's post |  #7

It looks like you get the case with the set. That might be the price difference.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
45,228 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 27, 2013 00:45 |  #8

Tiffen filters usually only have single coating, so are considerably more prone to flare and lost contrast due to reflections (rather than greater transmission of light). Read this test...

http://www.kenandchris​tine.com/gallery/10543​87_ucZqa/1 (external link)

Cokins are soft and prone to easy scratching. I ruined an entire set during a single one-week trip over 20 years ago while being carried around in my camera bag during my photographic travels through Florida (and not even pulled out for use!), in a filter wallet due to abrasions of the surfaces of all the Cokin filters. Threw them out at the end of the trip after discovering abrasions, never bothered to replace any of them!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TSchrief
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 27, 2013 02:28 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Wilt,
Thanks for the article. Interesting read. I don't believe I'll be shooting a bunch of black squares on white backgrounds, but I do have a related real-world example to share. Some time ago I bought a 100-400L. My first outing with it was a complete disaster. My first thought was: DEFECTIVE LENS. I posted some shots on POTN and everyone said, "Take the filter off! I did. It was a huge improvement. That prompted me to test my other lenses with and without filters. All of my lenses performed better without the filters; not to the degree the 100-400 did, but visibly better. I took off the filters and bought hoods. Here is the kicker; all of my filters were Tiffen UV Haze 1. Perhaps there is a lesson here?

I still think $96 just to try some ND filters is not too expensive. I can spent more than that on each one to buy good ones. I saw a set of 3 on B&H for over $400!

Gear List

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 27, 2013 02:34 |  #10

I'd skip those Tiffens and go for a Marumi 3-stop to start with. Very good quality to cost ratio, and personally I think a 1-stop ND is pointless. 2 is sometimes helpful, but 3 is what I'd consider a good versatile one to start with for what you described. Check out 2filter HERE (external link).

Neil

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 27, 2013 09:56 as a reply to  @ Nightdiver13's post |  #11

I was/am in the same boat, wanted to play around with ND filters. I picked up a cheap 2 stop screw on, it works ok for waterfalls if your already in a darker forest setting. I tried it at the beach this weekend to blur the ocean a bit (weather was gray and overcast), needless to say it did not do what I wanted, 2 stops was just not enough.

Now a cheap solution (I found the idea on this forum) was to pick up some welding glass and glue a threaded adapter to it. Mine comes out a bit over 10 stops I think (I plan to do some more testing this week, now that I know I can get decent results with it). It does give off a very heavy green tint (to the point its not correctable in post), however I wanted to turn the shot black and white from the get go. There are ways to set a closer custom WB before shooting.

Might be worth a shot, I think the welding glass set up cost me like $12 when all said and done.

A word of caution, you can not use AF with the welding glass method, so I would AF then very carefully (sometimes 2-3 times) switch to manual then screw the glass on (major PITA). I am headed to amazon next to see if I can pick up a cheap holder and make a drop in set of welding glass filters :)

sponsored links

1,431 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tiffen filter questions.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.