Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 10:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are you Flickr or 500px?

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2013 10:16 |  #1

Looking for some feedback regarding which you think is better... I've tried a 500px V's Flickr search but got zero results

I've been a long-time Flickr user but recently ran a 500px trial.. I was really impressed with it.

I just like the format, they way you get comments, likes votes etc, one thing that annoys me with flickr is the ridiculous comments with flashing pictures and group rules P1 Comment 3 etc, with my pro subscription coming up for renewll I'm thinking of deserting for 500px , I dont want to pay 2 subs .

Is there anything I'd lose out on dropping my Flickr sub?

Love to hear experiences on this...

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2013 10:21 |  #2

I have both. I think Flickr is more community oriented, while 500px is just for browsing photos. I like flickrs full screen lightbox views as well, and prefer it to 500px's slightly blacked out lightbox view. The quality level of contributors on 500px is definitely up there though, however, it's pretty tough to gain traction.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2013 10:43 |  #3

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15761337 (external link)
I have both. I think Flickr is more community oriented, while 500px is just for browsing photos. I like flickrs full screen lightbox views as well, and prefer it to 500px's slightly blacked out lightbox view. The quality level of contributors on 500px is definitely up there though, however, it's pretty tough to gain traction.

Thats what I like about it , best photos first and not so good ones get sent to the bottom of the pile..:lol:

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 27, 2013 10:54 |  #4

*Jayrou wrote in post #15761411 (external link)
Thats what I like about it , best photos first and not so good ones get sent to the bottom of the pile..:lol:

Keep telling yourself that when there are a dozen pictures of peoples cats at the top of the "popular" page. ;) :lol:
Granted I do like how 500px works from a photo browsing perspective, but it seems to lack a bit of human element. Then again, that's probably why I'm here......:cool:

It seems like on 500px every other comment is predicated with "look at my photos". I literally got a comment this morning that said "That's nice. Go look at my photos." I personally find that every bit as annoying as the stupid icons people post of flickr. :rolleyes:

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 27, 2013 11:08 |  #5

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15761451 (external link)
Keep telling yourself that when there are a dozen pictures of peoples cats at the top of the "popular" page. ;) :lol:
Granted I do like how 500px works from a photo browsing perspective, but it seems to lack a bit of human element. Then again, that's probably why I'm here......:cool:

It seems like on 500px every other comment is predicated with "look at my photos". I literally got a comment this morning that said "That's nice. Go look at my photos." I personally find that every bit as annoying as the stupid icons people post of flickr. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah I've noticed animals make the top pages a lot , and "that take a look at my photos".. I forgot about that with 500px too... and you're right its every 3rd comment.

Not sure which is worse now... Post 1 comment 3 flashing angels or this.. :lol:

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Superdaantje
557 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 28, 2013 03:15 |  #6

Using flickr. Main reason. I use a plugin on my website that imports the sets and photos. So I have to upload to one source only (flickr)

Wagner.photography -  (external link) Workshops photography in the Netherlands & Indonesia -_-
Gear list (external link)

Drrobinson
82 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 28, 2013 11:29 |  #7

500px is a lot better. There aren't as many users but the quality of the majority of the photos are far better. I saw a statistic that said the majority of photos used on flickr is with an iPhone and the majority of photos used on 500px is a 5d mark 2.

The good thing about flick is that your photos will stand out if you are using a professional camera.

Charlotte NC, Wedding Photographers
Anchor & Veil Photography (external link)
Facebook (external link)
"My Anchor holds within the Veil"

splathecat
57 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 28, 2013 23:47 |  #8

*Jayrou wrote in post #15761411 (external link)

500px is no less cliquey than flickr, and popular has the same number of photos in it that are just there because the photographer has a load of friends as explore does.

I've seen some OOF and some ultra-saturated and ultra-doctored images with 99s at 500px, too, but the overall quality is higher. Then again it's pretty lonely as you can't form your own pools and groups, and thus you rely on people searching for your specific tags or referrals from off site.

And 500px quality has been dropping - the front page used to be solely eye popping professionals or professional level work, things I could never match that had perfect lighting. Now quite a few seem to be snapshots by people with a devoted social media following from specific countries.

Most popular picture in nature today?

http://500px.com/photo​/29444417?from=popular (external link)

Some flowers that don't look much different to some in my garden, with the white balance not quite right and bokeh like it was his first time using a lens that goes down to 1.8. This in the place where you could count on getting the best wildlife pictures on the net not 12 months ago.

Most popular picture today?

http://500px.com/photo​/29458589?from=popular (external link)

LOOK AT THAT BACKGROUND. YUCK.

Then again the Flickr display is years out of date and shows the images way too small for a modern camera. Why bother with a tiny little sub 600px wide box when you have 20+ megapixel cameras? If I own a camera like that, I want my pictures to be as big as possible, which 500px offers.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 29, 2013 00:49 |  #9

splathecat wrote in post #15767757 (external link)
500px is no less cliquey than flickr, and popular has the same number of photos in it that are just there because the photographer has a load of friends as explore does.

I've seen some OOF and some ultra-saturated and ultra-doctored images with 99s at 500px, too, but the overall quality is higher. Then again it's pretty lonely as you can't form your own pools and groups, and thus you rely on people searching for your specific tags or referrals from off site.

And 500px quality has been dropping - the front page used to be solely eye popping professionals or professional level work, things I could never match that had perfect lighting. Now quite a few seem to be snapshots by people with a devoted social media following from specific countries.

Most popular picture in nature today?

http://500px.com/photo​/29444417?from=popular (external link)

Some flowers that don't look much different to some in my garden, with the white balance not quite right and bokeh like it was his first time using a lens that goes down to 1.8. This in the place where you could count on getting the best wildlife pictures on the net not 12 months ago.

Most popular picture today?

http://500px.com/photo​/29458589?from=popular (external link)

LOOK AT THAT BACKGROUND. YUCK.

Then again the Flickr display is years out of date and shows the images way too small for a modern camera. Why bother with a tiny little sub 600px wide box when you have 20+ megapixel cameras? If I own a camera like that, I want my pictures to be as big as possible, which 500px offers.

Ah, the truth comes out. I had no choice after clicking that second link but to "dislike" the photo. I only recently joined 500px because I didn't feel my work was up to par, and here you are posting links to those images that see more activity in a day than my whole account does in a week!:confused:
As far as the 600px display box on Flickr, I don't know what you're looking at, but I get quite a large image when I go full screen. I prefer it over 500px for image view because it gives me the largest image my screen can display, which is usually fairly large (24" screen). I would say the quality at 500px is still better, but it is becoming a victim of it's own popularity.
1x is still the standard bearer, and I'm far from ready to have any images there:oops:

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Superdaantje
557 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 29, 2013 02:47 |  #10

Drrobinson wrote in post #15765318 (external link)
500px is a lot better. There aren't as many users but the quality of the majority of the photos are far better. I saw a statistic that said the majority of photos used on flickr is with an iPhone and the majority of photos used on 500px is a 5d mark 2.

The good thing about flick is that your photos will stand out if you are using a professional camera.

The gear to photo is taken with does not say anything about the wow effect of the photo. There are many with expensive gear that produce snap shots.

Just use what you like. :cool:

Wagner.photography -  (external link) Workshops photography in the Netherlands & Indonesia -_-
Gear list (external link)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,661 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 29, 2013 02:49 |  #11

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15761451 (external link)

So basically all the same problems as Flickr's Explore.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

splathecat
57 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 29, 2013 09:17 |  #12

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15767923 (external link)
Ah, the truth comes out. I had no choice after clicking that second link but to "dislike" the photo. I only recently joined 500px because I didn't feel my work was up to par, and here you are posting links to those images that see more activity in a day than my whole account does in a week!:confused:
As far as the 600px display box on Flickr, I don't know what you're looking at, but I get quite a large image when I go full screen. I prefer it over 500px for image view because it gives me the largest image my screen can display, which is usually fairly large (24" screen). I would say the quality at 500px is still better, but it is becoming a victim of it's own popularity.
1x is still the standard bearer, and I'm far from ready to have any images there:oops:

Don't worry, it's just that 500px is way too deep in the social media game today. Poorer photos are probably linked from Facebook accounts and then voted on by hundreds from Facebook, so they make it to the front and continue to get voted on by people who cruise the front page and comment so they get likes in return.

What it does have is depth, thousands of amazing images that stay on 0.0 because the togs can't be bothered commenting on 1000 photos every day.

The problem I have with Flickr is that it initially displays so small you miss the full detail the first time you see a picture.

nWmR12
669 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 29, 2013 12:10 |  #13

I personally use both but only upload my "top" quality photos or ones that I really like to 500px. Flickr, for me is for more pictures that are not portfolio type quality, also that I can share them other places. 500px I also use for more inspiration not saying flickr can't but is much easier to browse.

5DIII, 5Dc, 24-105L, 100-400L, 14mm Rokinon 21 ZE, 35L, 50 1.4, 50CM 2.5, Rokkor 58mm 1.2. 85 1.8, 135L |S90| Film: Mamiya RZ67 ProII/ Mamiya 7II | Rolleiflex 2.8C
flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|facebook (external link) - Travel/landscape | facebook (external link) - Portrait| Instagram (external link)
Portfolio (external link)

Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Apr 01, 2013 00:14 |  #14

There has to be a better way...I switched from FLICKR to 500px a couple months back and initally felt I got a lot more comments/views/favs on my pics via 500px but recently it seems that even some high quality pics aren't getting much love and the comments I am getting now are like "HAI L00k AT MY WORK DAWG" instead of providing CC or even complementing the pics. There are also some people who must have an bot going who comment on every pic I upload, always the same thing.

I've been thinking of trying Smugmug for a website/go to site for when people want to buy/see my work...

I also recently tried uploading some pics to this site called Pixoto.

It is an odd site but really cool to get some quick feedback on relative quality of your pics.

Here's a couple of mine on Pixoto. I don't like how it is Facebook linked and will post on your page when you win "awards" but it is easy to turn that off.

https://www.pixoto.com …lake-tahoe-pier-104107874 (external link)

https://www.pixoto.com …khao-lak-sunset-102994307 (external link)

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

chantu
904 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 01, 2013 14:53 |  #15

^^^ nice photos, but ...

the banner up top (at this moment is marginally NSFW). So it's a fail.

Canon 5D mk3, 7D mk2, 7D, 17-40L, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm IS, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 17-50 OS, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 24-70VC 580ex flash (x3), 550ex, Yonguo 622C triggers, Fuji XE-1, 18-55mm Flickr (external link)Feedbacks of Items Sold/Bought *

sponsored links

17,704 views & 0 likes for this thread
Are you Flickr or 500px?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.