Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 11:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CR2 Corrupt File Questions

Roroco
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 27, 2013 11:04 |  #1

OK... I recently had a failure of the OS on my NAS and one of my other backups. I was able to strip the data off my NAS's hardrive to recover all my archived RAWs. I got a new NAS and put them all back on the network drive. So, I thought all was good. I was wrong.

My problem is that 90 percent of them seem to be corrupt now. Lightroom can't read the CR2s (cannot work with this file). I tried copying some of them locally, but I get the same messages in Lightroom. I will be distraught if I lost all these RAW files.

Does anyone know what is going on with these files? Is there anything I can do to recover the data now?

Also, it seems like CR2 files are pretty brittle. Should I be converting everything to DNG or doing something in my workflow to make these files a bit more rock solid?

Thanks everyone.

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,381 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 27, 2013 11:12 |  #2

Are they corrupt on your backups as well? If the NAS drive failed I would only recover the files if no other copy existed. Pulling them off the backups is safer.

Also, is it only LR that has the issue? How about DPP? Also corrupt there? CR2 files are no more fragile than any other file. They can take damage but if some key locations are hit, like the file header, all bets are off. Same with jpeg, tiff, dng, pretty much any file.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 27, 2013 11:22 |  #3

gjl711 wrote in post #15761508 (external link)
Are they corrupt on your backups as well? If the NAS drive failed I would only recover the files if no other copy existed. Pulling them off the backups is safer.

Also, is it only LR that has the issue? How about DPP? Also corrupt there? CR2 files are no more fragile than any other file. They can take damage but if some key locations are hit, like the file header, all bets are off. Same with jpeg, tiff, dng, pretty much any file.

I do not have DDP on my computer. The Windows 8 RAW codec can't pull up the image either. The newer RAWs on my desktop are functioning like normal in Lightroom and Win8.

I find it odd that none of my music of videos were impacted. Just my RAW files.

Roger
Gear List: 5D Mark III -- 50mm f/1.4 -- 85mm f1.8 -- 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro -- 17-40mm f/4L -- Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC -- 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II -- 2.0X III TC

Lights -- Alien Bees B800 -- 580 EX II -- Yongnuo YN-560 II & YN-568EX -- Mother Nature -- RF 602s

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,381 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 27, 2013 12:11 |  #4

Hmm.. I'm thinking something more global. I can't imagine that every raw file got corrupted in the same manner. Too much of a coincidence. Maybe something with LR? or some codec? Just guessing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 27, 2013 12:20 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #15761728 (external link)
Hmm.. I'm thinking something more global. I can't imagine that every raw file got corrupted in the same manner. Too much of a coincidence. Maybe something with LR? or some codec? Just guessing.

I'm hoping it is something along those lines. That sounds more fixable. Before the NAS crashed, I did change Lightroom to start adding the separate XML file for edits. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Roger

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Mar 27, 2013 12:33 |  #6

Questions:
- Why is your OS on your NAS?
- Why wasn't your NAS backed up?

If you get file corruption no data format is going to help much. I suspect jpeg would be as good as anything. I keep everything important as CR2/NEF, plus DNG, plus high res jpeg, on three different disks in three different locations.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

morph2_7
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 27, 2013 12:45 |  #7

I believe Roger (OP) said his NAS operating system failed and therefore couldn't function normally.

Roroco
THREAD ­ STARTER
647 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 27, 2013 13:03 |  #8

The old NAS was a DLink 323 (linux). The OS failed, but the hardrives were RAIDed and still had all the data on them. I used LinuxReader to pull all the data from the files onto my Windows 7 desktop. It seemed to work for everything but my RAW files.

Also, all my JPegs are stored on three different machines and online. I did not lose any memories, I just lost the RAW files associated with those memories incase I want to go back and edit those memories. I am not as redundant on my RAWs because of the sheer size of the storage space I need. I have a 2 method back up for those, but one (my desktop) outright failed (HDD went bad at the same time ny NAS died) and the other was the NAS.

Roger

sponsored links

1,686 views & 0 likes for this thread
CR2 Corrupt File Questions
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.