Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Annoying people and their Ipads

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 27, 2013 21:50 |  #31

Some people think we're obnoxious with our huge cameras, let them be.
My dad has an iPad3 and he does all those cheesy things, I just find it hilarious.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

sponsored links
Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 27, 2013 21:51 |  #32

And thats different than someone with a dslr standing up in front of you? I have had that to happen too. Or the ones that use a flash blinding the students? What about the ones on cell phones talking? Compared to these three examples I WISH an I pad is all I have had to deal with.

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 27, 2013 22:46 |  #33

When I was in FL last year it was the most popular travel camera out there. I even watched a photo shoot with one while I was shooting a sunset, the family keep posing and I think trying to get the faces and sky in one image, anyway they were working hard at trying to get a specific shot.

This one I thought was humorous,I actually took dozens to include iPad, several of the shots you can really see the lag time. They were recording video, so for them it really didn't matter.

IMAGE: http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/img/s2/v70/p1401042202-2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.dcanavanpho​to.com/p259350377/e538​2351a  (external link)

There was one that out of the corner of my eye with it's gray case and flipped up screen protector looked like a 4x5 until I turned and looked at it.

If the ipad gets the job done, then more power to those people; but I'm going to keep my DSLR.

But I think it can be easily separated from those lacking manners and those with iPads. While I've seen the two go hand in hand once or twice, I have had many many issue with people waiting until intermission is over or some action just got underway to decide to get up and walk in front of me. Then some realize what they have done see their blocking me then freeze until I wave them past, though I'd say 90% don't even care if they disturb and ruin events for others.

I also know one person who was baffled that I refused to even take my camera into the theater for her daughters dance recital, I told her if I was invited to a dress rehearsal no problem if it's cleared by the production staff, but I was not going to be like the others there distracting from the event (one Dad, a Nikon shooter, had a 70-200 and was popping off a flash every 20 sec the whole time his daughter was on stage).

There was once a time it was phones off, and silence (no cat calls from parents or friends), with applause at the end of scenes and occasional laughter, I think the last I saw it was about 15 years ago, and it's been progressively worse ever since, and my own observation is that etiquette has been steadily eroding. It started with camcorders gaining the flip out screen,then cell phones would go off, then people started the texting glow, now we get the combination of video and phones going at the same time, and if they're too close to any sound system component, the interference. Now there is so much noise, chatter, and motion that people don't even bother to step to the back (let alone out) when their baby infant starts screaming. Just remember if you're getting mugged and beaten on the street for someone trying to take the camera from around your neck, remember that the nearest iPad, iPhone etc, won't be calling 911, but will record everything for you, and post it to youtube, facebook and twitter.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

tlzimmerman
258 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Mar 28, 2013 01:03 as a reply to  @ Motor On's post |  #34

Yeah its getting bad at weddings, have even had people run up with them and say "Look at this shot" in all of its slow shutter noisy blurry glory!

5d Mk III - 5d Mk II - 550d - 24-70L - 70-200L IS II - 24-105 F4 L - 85 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 60 Macro - 15 Fisheye

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,435 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 28, 2013 01:44 |  #35

tlzimmerman wrote in post #15764179 (external link)
Yeah its getting bad at weddings, have even had people run up with them and say "Look at this shot" in all of its slow shutter noisy blurry glory!

Haha, the screen's actually big enough to show people how bad a 1/20 sec exposure looks before they get home to a computer.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,281 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 28, 2013 03:18 as a reply to  @ post 15764292 |  #36

Really annoying moment is when you are standing on the pier and watch fireworks and many many screens are distracting with their screens while filming the show :mad: The ipads are especially bad due to their size.

Donate if you love POTN

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,940 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 28, 2013 07:37 |  #37

squirt gun time?

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 28, 2013 07:57 |  #38

here is my take.

its annoying. these folks need to have the instant gratification to be the first to get the image onto to facebook or whatever social media site they favor. we only the other hand prefer to massage our image and make them ready to present. i hate presenting an image that isn't ready to be seen.

what gets me is, don't these people have cell phones? the camera is just as good if not better, plus it fits in your pocket. why would you drag around your ipad as your camera?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,353 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Mar 28, 2013 08:18 |  #39

The company that I work for builds wine lists for iPads. They gave me one. It sits in a desk drawer most of the time, as my job involves the database back end. In my personal life, I have no use for it. I do use my Droid phone camera when I don't have a better one with me and need to take a shot. Using the iPad for this purpose would never occur to me.I guess that makes me an outlier.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 28, 2013 08:32 |  #40

I'll bet that many people think the ipad video/photo quality is better because the live view is bigger than a phone.

As technology becomes more and more of a black box, people continue be more ignorant of how things work.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,634 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 28, 2013 11:00 |  #41

I did get this when in DC:

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/7309611184_50e0817312_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …s/barmy_harmy/7​309611184/  (external link)
US Capitol Building (external link) by Barmy Harmy (external link), on Flickr

SmugMug (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 28, 2013 11:06 |  #42

waterrockets wrote in post #15762672 (external link)
iCloud and Google+ prevent this from being an issue. By the time you get home, the video you shot on your iPhone/Android will be ready to play on your iPad/tablet.

That requires internet, and people don't necessarily want to wait until they get home.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,940 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 28, 2013 11:16 |  #43

cdifoto wrote in post #15765244 (external link)
That requires internet, and people don't necessarily want to wait until they get home.

That's another point of using a smartphone for this though. It's on the Interenet while it's in your pocket. If you're somewhere remote, then it will upload while you're driving home. If they're not waiting until they get home, then they have mobile Internet access on the tablet anyway.

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 28, 2013 11:36 |  #44

I like that pic of the Capitol: two people on phones ignoring their surroundings and one viewing the world thru' an ipad. I hope there weren't any open manhole covers in the area!

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

triton3k
Goldmember
3,358 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 28, 2013 11:57 |  #45

I cant stand when I see it but to each his own.

Denn_Ice
Yashica Mat 124G, Canon A1, Sony A7RII, Sony Fe 16-35 F/4, Sony Fe 28 F/2, Sony Fe 55 F/1.8 Canon FD 24 F/2.8, FD 50 F/1.8, FD 135 F/2.5, Canon FL 50 F/1.4
Check me out on flickr (external link) Tumblr (external link) Instagram (external link) 500PX (external link)

sponsored links

10,650 views & 0 likes for this thread
Annoying people and their Ipads
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.