Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Mar 2013 (Wednesday) 11:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Annoying people and their Ipads

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 28, 2013 15:51 |  #46

waterrockets wrote in post #15765277 (external link)
That's another point of using a smartphone for this though. It's on the Interenet while it's in your pocket. If you're somewhere remote, then it will upload while you're driving home. If they're not waiting until they get home, then they have mobile Internet access on the tablet anyway.

I'm not saying it isn't annoying. I'm just saying using online backup isn't always possible, especially on a tablet. I'm sure people using tablets do so because those screens make their images look better than they really are...except they don't realize their images aren't as good as the screen makes them look.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2013 15:58 |  #47

cdifoto wrote in post #15766323 (external link)
I'm not saying it isn't annoying. I'm just saying using online backup isn't always possible, especially on a tablet. I'm sure people using tablets do so because those screens make their images look better than they really are...except they don't realize their images aren't as good as the screen makes them look.

Hmm, maybe they don't and maybe they do (kind of like using our DSLR LCDs for "chimping"...

The question to me is, shouldn't these venues like the OP mentioned begin putting some "rules" in place? It's pretty common for venues to prevent flash, and even to prevent "consumers" from bringing in "professional"-type of cameras. Why shouldn't they put out similar rules for iPads?

'Course some more "personal" events like weddings or perhaps even like the school play may have some "awkward moments" trying to "impose" those rules, I don't know, but I'd think there would be a lot of support if, say, before the start of the event that one of the "responsible" people made a public announcement that iPad photography is "against the rules"!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 28, 2013 16:02 |  #48

tonylong wrote in post #15766353 (external link)
Hmm, maybe they don't and maybe they do (kind of like using our DSLR LCDs for "chimping"...

The question to me is, shouldn't these venues like the OP mentioned begin putting some "rules" in place? It's pretty common for venues to prevent flash, and even to prevent "consumers" from bringing in "professional"-type of cameras. Why shouldn't they put out similar rules for iPads?

'Course some more "personal" events like weddings or perhaps even like the school play may have some "awkward moments" trying to "impose" those rules, I don't know, but I'd think there would be a lot of support if, say, before the start of the event that one of the "responsible" people made a public announcement that iPad photography is "against the rules"!

People would ignore it, just like they already do with their phones at concerts. There comes a point where you're just wasting time and energy and creating a bad us vs them vibe for no actual gain.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2013 16:17 |  #49

cdifoto wrote in post #15766371 (external link)
People would ignore it, just like they already do with their phones at concerts. There comes a point where you're just wasting time and energy and creating a bad us vs them vibe for no actual gain.

Well, I get your point, I'm just not so agreeable with the "point of view":)!

I've been in movie theaters where the staff enforces the "no cell phone" rule, and before the staff moves in the movie watchers around the "offender" step in to quiet the noise. It seems to work in movie theaters (I can't imagine iPads being allowed to "film" the movie)...

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 28, 2013 16:20 |  #50

I'm just a pessimist when it comes to human behavior anymore.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 28, 2013 16:28 |  #51

cdifoto wrote in post #15766433 (external link)
I'm just a pessimist when it comes to human behavior anymore.

Heh! I understand...:)!

Tony

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,554 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 28, 2013 23:10 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #52

My G/F has a decent point and shoot but never uses it, except when we are on holiday. The rest of the time she used here iPad. She is just taking snapshots of herself/her friends or silly stuff she sees, so the quality isn't important.... but boy are the shots crap.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 29, 2013 08:10 |  #53

darthrazz wrote in post #15761490 (external link)
I recently went to my 4 year old sons pre-school play. It was really cute, except for all the people holding up their Ipads in front of me video taping their kids and blocking everyones view... Anyone else encounter this or think it's rude?

To top it off, most were holding the Ipad vertically, going to look real good on your flat screen!

Those with long memories may recall another unit that was used in an identical fashion. In the late 1900's Sony marketed a very popular digital camera, the Mavica. (external link) That camera owed much of its popularity to its simple storage method, using then-popular 3.5" floppy discs rather than the era's expensive memory cards. Because most Mavicas had only a single large LCD on the back, (external link) to frame an image, it was necessary to hold the camera up in the air and aim it while looking at the LCD, just like iPads.

At that time, "real" photographers, who used film cameras with smaller reflex viewfinders, ridiculed the people who used Mavicas because the Sonys weren't "real cameras" like their film SLR's. It seems that nothing has changed since the 1990's.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,940 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 29, 2013 08:26 |  #54

DC Fan wrote in post #15768435 (external link)
Those with long memories may recall another unit that was used in an identical fashion. In the late 1900's Sony marketed a very popular digital camera, the Mavica. (external link) That camera owed much of its popularity to its simple storage method, using then-popular 3.5" floppy discs rather than the era's expensive memory cards. Because most Mavicas had only a single large LCD on the back, (external link) to frame an image, it was necessary to hold the camera up in the air and aim it while looking at the LCD, just like iPads.

At that time, "real" photographers, who used film cameras with smaller reflex viewfinders, ridiculed the people who used Mavicas because the Sonys weren't "real cameras" like their film SLR's. It seems that nothing has changed since the 1990's.

You've completely missed the point.

This complaint has nothing to do with the quality of the camera being used. Have you ever sat behind someone holding up an ipad to capture images/video in a dark room?

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Elfstop
720 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 29, 2013 09:05 |  #55

Ipad photographers should have no rights at all....

moose10101
registered smartass
1,727 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Mar 29, 2013 10:33 |  #56

waterrockets wrote in post #15768485 (external link)
You've completely missed the point.

This complaint has nothing to do with the quality of the camera being used. Have you ever sat behind someone holding up an ipad to capture images/video in a dark room?

That's okay, most of the people who posted missed your point. They were too busy ridiculing people to understand what your complaint was.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 29, 2013 10:44 |  #57

mike_d wrote in post #15763630 (external link)
1080p video, 5MP stills on the current one.

But heavily compressed; not nearly the quality you'll get from blu-ray or broadcast HD video. You may not see the difference on a screen the size of the iPad, but if you send it to a big screen TV, you'll see the artifacts big time.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,940 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Mar 29, 2013 10:47 |  #58

archer1960 wrote in post #15768916 (external link)
But heavily compressed; not nearly the quality you'll get from blu-ray or broadcast HD video. You may not see the difference on a screen the size of the iPad, but if you send it to a big screen TV, you'll see the artifacts big time.

Broadcast HD is often suspect as well, if it's not OTA. I the cable/satellite company doesn't think you're watching anything particularly important, the compression gets pretty bad in a hurry.

You're right about the portable device HD. Just because something is in 1080p format says nothing about it's quality. No different than some of the JPEG hosting we see on POTN.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 29, 2013 10:48 |  #59

tonylong wrote in post #15766353 (external link)

Of course at a wedding, there is one person whose word is law, and that's the bride. If she says "no tablet photography during the ceremony", I think it could be made to stick. Any other situation, you're probably correct...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 29, 2013 10:50 |  #60

waterrockets wrote in post #15768928 (external link)
Broadcast HD is often suspect as well, if it's not OTA. I the cable/satellite company doesn't think you're watching anything particularly important, the compression gets pretty bad in a hurry.

You're right about the portable device HD. Just because something is in 1080p format says nothing about it's quality. No different than some of the JPEG hosting we see on POTN.

Good point; when I said "broadcast", I was specifically referring to over-the-air. I have an antenna rather than any kind of cable/paid TV, and the quality difference is noticeable.

sponsored links

10,698 views & 0 likes for this thread
Annoying people and their Ipads
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.