Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 12:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Undersanding lenses & building a collection

Sens0r
90 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 01, 2013 12:27 |  #1

I'm using a T3i/600D currently with the intention of developing my skills while building a lens collection and switching to a full frame (5D-MKIII) in a year or so.

I couldn't wait to save up for a Canon 300mm so I purchased the Tamron 70-300 VC.

Right now, I'm looking for a Canon wide-angle lens to use on my T3i and the MKIII later on. While not knowing much about wide-angle lenses, I found myself looking at the "Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II"

Correct me if I'm wrong but, since I'm using a crop-sensor camera the true lengths would be (25.6mm-56mm).. Is that correct? Now, would this still function as a "wide-angle" lens on a crop sensor?

Another question is, I already have the 18-55mm kit lense.. how is that range any different than the same range the wide-angle lens going to produce?

My profile on 500px.com (external link) | Follow me on Instagram (external link)
Canon 600D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS II | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD | YN-560II

sponsored links
mmcguire
273 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 01, 2013 13:14 |  #2

Here is a primer on DSLR lenses.

http://photographywisd​om.com …ens-buying-guide-537.html (external link)

The true length of the 16-35 is 16-35 no matter what body you use. The crop body just crops the outside of the frame so you have field of view of 25.6-56. Yes it is still wide angle.

The 18-55 is less wide but a bit longer.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 01, 2013 13:43 as a reply to  @ mmcguire's post |  #3

I like this one better - https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=45388

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 01, 2013 13:46 |  #4

mmcguire wrote in post #15779110 (external link)
Here is a primer on DSLR lenses.

http://photographywisd​om.com …ens-buying-guide-537.html (external link)

The true length of the 16-35 is 16-35 no matter what body you use. The crop body just crops the outside of the frame so you have field of view of 25.6-56. Yes it is still wide angle.

The 18-55 is less wide but a bit longer.

Like this :

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8610059735_1a5e4f83df_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/91007789@N05/8​610059735/  (external link)
Crop_Full Frame (external link) by ligras (external link), on Flickr

~ Wallace
Gear List

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,109 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 01, 2013 15:23 |  #5

The 16-35 is going to have better glass elements than the kit lens as well as have the 2.8, which is a pretty big step from the kit lens. if you try both side by side I think you will see how much better the L lens is. I know I was blown away when I bought my first L lens as compared to the kit lens.

saintz
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 01, 2013 16:14 |  #6

It is very hard to find a wide angle that works on both FF and crop. That's because the 16-35 is quite wide on FF, but not that much wider than the kit lens on a crop.

You might look at the Sigma 12-24, which is very wide on FF and still wide on crop.

I would probably buy a 15-85 or 10-22 for your current crop. When you go FF, sell it. You're better buying the glass you need now and selling it in the future than buying the wrong glass now with the thought that you'll use it down the road if/when you go FF.

Also, what are you trying to shoot? Landscapes?

Sony A6000 | 18-55 | 16-50 | 50 f1.8

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 01, 2013 16:42 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

For wide angle on APS-c, it is hard to beat the EF-s 10-22. I have that and the EF-s 15-85 which is excellent also. If you need wide, the 16-35 will not cut it on an APS-c body.

No need to sell anything just because you move to full-frame. I use both, but I'll admit that the 5D sees more light these days.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,367 views & 0 likes for this thread
Undersanding lenses & building a collection
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.