Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 01 Apr 2013 (Monday) 13:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you go on with macro?

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 01, 2013 13:34 |  #1

Do most of you guys just go out and about and find stuff or do you actually plan on what you will do in a certain area?

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
Japers
192 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 01, 2013 13:38 |  #2

For me.. a bit of both. There are times when I go to very specific locations where I know I’ll find a particular critter, and there are times when I just wonder around a park or my yard in search of anything interesting.

60D + Lenses = Flickr (external link)

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 01, 2013 21:27 |  #3

I lean more to going out for macro when I am in the mood and seeing what I end up finding. On some occasions I would be hunting for something specific.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006
61,559 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 02, 2013 00:52 |  #4

As above- generally just go out and see what I can find.
Brian V.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lordv/ (external link)
http://www.lordv.smugm​ug.com/ (external link)
Macro Hints and tips
Canon 600D, 40D, 5D mk2, 7D, Tamron 90mm macro, Sigma 105mm OS, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits

JohanBorjesson
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 03, 2013 09:05 |  #5

That's the beauty of macro isn't it? Just go out and always find something.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

defante
378 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 03, 2013 10:43 |  #6

There's places I go because I know there will be certain insects, but usually it's just whatever I find.

~David
My FlickR (external link) | Google+ (external link)

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 03, 2013 20:15 |  #7

JohanBorjesson wrote in post #15786415 (external link)
That's the beauty of macro isn't it? Just go out and always find something.

Totally. Nothing more diverse on this planet than the little critters and things. You could shoot macro every day of your life and keep seeing new things every year.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,270 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 03, 2013 20:34 |  #8

I go out and about many times but my best macros are the ones I have put significant effort into. For instance, I wanted to do some macros of mantis. Going out and about I might get lucky once a season and get a pic or two. One year we bought mantis cases and greatly increased out chances of finding a mantis as they were all over the garden. We learned where they hung out and early in the morning before they warmed up, they were very well behaved photographic subjects. (mantis series (external link))

Did something similar with monarchs. We planted a garden with lots of flowers favored by monarchs. As we saw the caterpillars ready to do their thing, we placed them in a 10 gal aquarium where we could watch them. Once hatched, we let them go back in the garden.
(monarch series (external link))

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

ShutterBugL
83 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 04, 2013 13:02 |  #9

Serendipity.

Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|5DSR|a7R2|24-70LII|70-200LII|EF15|TSE17|35L|​40|85LII|100L|MP-E65|SEL35|CV21f1.8|Eps​on SureColor P807

BasAndrews
Cream of the Crop
13,004 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 08, 2013 01:26 |  #10

I planted my garden to attract bees, wasps and all sorts of bugs. Then I just take shots of whatever arrives.

If I get time I should do it again.

Bas (external link)

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 08, 2013 14:24 as a reply to  @ BasAndrews's post |  #11

I haven't really had much chance to to just get out and play with my macro lenses, but one thing I used to do back in my 35mm days was to just sit in a good spot and let it happen around me. I would be on a day hike in the mountains (Colorado), and see a patch of wildflowers with a few bees. I'd just work my way into the middle of it and get comfortable. I could take a few shots of flowers, but ultimately the bees and any other bugs around start to just ignore you. You can find lots of good subjects under those conditions.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

racketman
Cream of the Crop
21,613 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 09, 2013 17:11 |  #12

Ninety percent pot luck whether visiting a nature reserve or walking the dog but I will make an effort to shoot dragonflies in the summer which means including the 300mm lens and occasionally I will go after a specific species in a location such as Hornet Robberflies on Thursley Common.

Toby
Canon 5D MKIV & 90D
Olympus EM-1 MKII
Flickr collections (external link)
Gear

calypsob
Goldmember
1,178 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 10, 2013 00:38 |  #13

the best way to find amazing and awesome things happening in the macro world is to leave your camera at home, when I do this things just magically start happening. then when I bring out my camera, all of the insects are gone! LOL But seriously, it is good to have some favorite locations and if you are going after insects remember that they are easiest to shoot on a dewy cool morning.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

ShutterBugL
83 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 12, 2013 20:32 |  #14

calypsob wrote in post #15810540 (external link)
the best way to find amazing and awesome things happening in the macro world is to leave your camera at home, when I do this things just magically start happening. then when I bring out my camera, all of the insects are gone!

bw!

Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|5DSR|a7R2|24-70LII|70-200LII|EF15|TSE17|35L|​40|85LII|100L|MP-E65|SEL35|CV21f1.8|Eps​on SureColor P807

sponsored links

2,173 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you go on with macro?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.