Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 06:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My gf wants to buy me a 7D...however

Paulstw
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 03, 2013 06:02 |  #1

My good lady wants to buy me a 7D because I mention it a lot, and see's it as a natural progression. She keeps up to date with my lingo lol.

I have a 600D currently, however, she said If I sell my 600D she'll make up the difference for a 7D.

I know that everyone will say, glass, glass and glass all the way however, she cannot afford to buy me the glass I would like.

Do you think this is a good idea?

I really like doing wildlife, I like portrait and mostly walk about taking pictures of anything that interests me. I do take my photography very seriously, and after a long walk I do feel my 600D tends to cramp up my hand with the 75-300 on it.

So if it were you, what would you do?

Cheers,

Paul

sponsored links
kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 03, 2013 06:10 |  #2

I say do it. If that's what you want and she's willing to help out. By all means get it. The 7D is a wonderful camera when it comes to wildlife, portraits and sports.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 03, 2013 06:27 |  #3

Girlfriends that buy their mates expensive camera gear are hoping to not be a girlfriend for too much longer... Proceed with caution...

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 03, 2013 06:27 |  #4

I believe I have come close to killing my 650D meany time's shooting bird's and the great outdoors and a more waterproof, dustproof camera would be the way to go, BUT putting a 70-300L glass up front has made the world of difference to everything I do. But I am sure I'm going to kill the T4i before its time . If I had to choose ?? the glass would come first!!!

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

placidbabe
75 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 03, 2013 06:30 |  #5

Just wondering what lens you wanted?

After selling your camera, wont you still need to put about $1000 on top to cover the new camera? There are a lot of nice lenses around $1000.
I've just heard the 75-300 isn't a great lens, so might find better results in your photos from upgrading that, or the 18-55 into something nicer, rather then upgrade the camera and find a few improvements in specs but maybe not so much improvement in the photos.

Skye.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II ~ Canon EOS 50D
Canon 24-105 mm f/4 L | Canon 100-400mm L | Canon 135mm f/2 L | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 OS | Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Quadna71
421 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 03, 2013 06:33 |  #6

If you both have the patience and inclination, I'd hold off for a little longer. With all the rumors on pending "70D" or "7DII" circling you may end up with with a better deal. Even if you're locked on a 7D, their prices are sure to plummet in the used market the moment the new non-Rebel crop bodies are announced.

As an immediate replacement, have you looked at the 60D? Lower pricing than the 7D and similar resolution...albeit a lesser AF engine and lower FPS.

Is there a cheap battery grip solution for your T3i to help your cramping issues in the meantime?

Lastly, I'm not by any means against the 7D. My first DSLR was the T3i, then upgraded to the 7D and loved it. It's just that a large portion od the 7D's pricing is attributed to the dual Digic 4's and higher FPS ability...and your current shooting description might not justify those features.

EOS R | RF 24-70/2.8 | EF 40/2.8

Paulstw
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 03, 2013 06:41 |  #7

Pondrader wrote in post #15786035 (external link)
I believe I have come close to killing my 650D meany time's shooting bird's and the great outdoors and a more waterproof, dustproof camera would be the way to go, BUT putting a 70-300L glass up front has made the world of difference to everything I do. But I am sure I'm going to kill the T4i before its time . If I had to choose ?? the glass would come first!!!

This is sometimes the feeling I have even just shooting birds on a feeder. Miss focus, miss focus hunt, hunt, you know what I give up.!!

placidbabe wrote in post #15786042 (external link)
Just wondering what lens you wanted?

After selling your camera, wont you still need to put about $1000 on top to cover the new camera? There are a lot of nice lenses around $1000.
I've just heard the 75-300 isn't a great lens, so might find better results in your photos from upgrading that, or the 18-55 into something nicer, rather then upgrade the camera and find a few improvements in specs but maybe not so much improvement in the photos.

Going rates for used 600D in the UK are about £380-£420 with kit lens. I can get a 7D body for £700 new. So there's not much she needs to front for the change. If she was fronting $1000 I wouldn't consider changing, I'd just get a 70-300mm f4-5.6L

Quadna71 wrote in post #15786045 (external link)
If you both have the patience and inclination, I'd hold off for a little longer. With all the rumors on pending "70D" or "7DII" circling you may end up with with a better deal. Even if you're locked on a 7D, their prices are sure to plummet in the used market the moment the new non-Rebel crop bodies are announced.

As an immediate replacement, have you looked at the 60D? Lower pricing than the 7D and similar resolution...albeit a lesser AF engine and lower FPS.

Is there a cheap battery grip solution for your T3i to help your cramping issues in the meantime?

Lastly, I'm not by any means against the 7D. My first DSLR was the T3i, then upgraded to the 7D and loved it. It's just that a large portion od the 7D's pricing is attributed to the dual Digic 4's and higher FPS ability...and your current shooting description might not justify those features.

This was the reason I asked. I know the price will fall on the 7D and to be honest, whatever the cost of a mkII will be, I won't be able to afford it. I just don't know how much longer I can do focus recompose on small birds before I loose the will to live. Then you crop the picture to suit the rule, and then the bird is softer than the seeds you out out 4 days ago to attract it.

Paulstw
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 03, 2013 06:43 |  #8

SMP_Homer wrote in post #15786033 (external link)
Girlfriends that buy their mates expensive camera gear are hoping to not be a girlfriend for too much longer... Proceed with caution...

Not sure what you mean by this, maybe talking from experience? lol
My girl and I are pretty tight, she buys a lot of my gear because I can't. She supports my love for it.

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 03, 2013 06:52 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

you are better off with a lens upgrade than a new body imho....

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

JuvarAbrera
677 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 03, 2013 06:55 |  #10

I think we have the same set-up. I use a Canon 600D and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. The image quality is okay for me but not enough (You can see my bird shots on my flickr, right down on my siggy). The body is enough for me and I'm planning to upgrade my glass into 400mm f/5.6L USM.

I think, the only difference you'll see while shooting is the continuous burst rate from 3.7fps for 600D to 8fps for 7d. Also, 7d has a 19 af point system while 600d only has 9 points.

So, for me, if you're not comfortable with your body, you can buy a 7D but your lens would be still 75-300. But, if you really want sharp images, I suggest for you to upgrade your glass. EF 400mm f/5.6L maybe, I think, is the cheapest super-telephoto used in wildlife photography. But then 7d body is cheaper than the lens.

I hope this helps.

Juvar, 18 || Flickr (external link)

Paulstw
THREAD ­ STARTER
827 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Apr 03, 2013 06:56 |  #11

kin2son wrote in post #15786074 (external link)
you are better off with a lens upgrade than a new body imho....

A pair of jeans it is then :)
I can't ask her to spend £900 on a lens.

I think I know the answer in my heart. I'm probably looking for something that's not constantly labelled "Entry level" as if I'm some moron who doesn't know how to use a camera. I do, it's just that I can't buy the best of kit to back it up.

placidbabe
75 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Apr 03, 2013 07:03 as a reply to  @ Paulstw's post |  #12

Going rates for used 600D in the UK are about £380-£420 with kit lens. I can get a 7D body for £700 new. So there's not much she needs to front for the change. If she was fronting $1000 I wouldn't consider changing, I'd just get a 70-300mm f4-5.6L

That's really cheap.
Is that for grey market gear or from an Authorized Canon dealer? Maybe I'm just confused with the $ to £ difference and that makes it seem super cheap to me XD

If it's legit, and you can manage to sell the camera for as much as your saying and buy a new camera for only $300, maybe that is a better option.

At the end of the day, I don't feel like you will see much of an improvement in the photos with the lens you have. But if the upgrade is more for the feel of the camera and helping with the improved Focus points, then the camera upgrade will be good for you.

Skye.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II ~ Canon EOS 50D
Canon 24-105 mm f/4 L | Canon 100-400mm L | Canon 135mm f/2 L | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 OS | Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Quadna71
421 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 03, 2013 07:03 |  #13

Maybe stretch your legs a little and try landscapes with a 10-22? It'll still be fine on a new crop if/when you take the leap and might renew your love of the 600D.

EOS R | RF 24-70/2.8 | EF 40/2.8

jaomul
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 03, 2013 07:05 |  #14

Entry level is a bs term with cameras. While the 7d focus and speed is better, the image quality is similar. What you need to decide is if the af or speed of your 600d limits you. If not I suggest you sell your 75-300 and upgrade to something similar to a Tamron 70-300 vc or even the 55-250 IS and stick a battery grip on what you have for comfort

flickr (external link)
Olympus EM5,Nikon d7200,
Olympus 12-50mm, 40-150mm,17mm f2.8,Nikon 50mm F1.8, Tamron 90mm vc, 18-105mmVR, Sigma 18-35 f1.8

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 03, 2013 07:06 |  #15

Paulstw wrote in post #15785997 (external link)
My good lady wants to buy me a 7D because I mention it a lot, and see's it as a natural progression. She keeps up to date with my lingo lol.

I have a 600D currently, however, she said If I sell my 600D she'll make up the difference for a 7D.

I know that everyone will say, glass, glass and glass all the way however, she cannot afford to buy me the glass I would like.

Do you think this is a good idea?

I really like doing wildlife, I like portrait and mostly walk about taking pictures of anything that interests me. I do take my photography very seriously, and after a long walk I do feel my 600D tends to cramp up my hand with the 75-300 on it.

So if it were you, what would you do?

Cheers,

Paul

I think you'll see a bigger difference if you waited and upgraded the lenses first. Not that the lenses you have are unusable garbage, but a 7D might seem rather anti-climactic at this point.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

11,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
My gf wants to buy me a 7D...however
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.