Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 04 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 14:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lee Sunset and Twilight Filter Sets

*Jayrou
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 04, 2013 14:36 |  #1

Does anyone use these?

I like my Lee filters and have various ND grads, Big Stopper polarizer etc, I've had these sets in my basket a few times now but something keeps stopping me.
Any landscapers out there that use them, and can make me push the button or put me off once and for all?

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 04, 2013 15:04 |  #2

I don't know about Lee specifically, but my reverse grad ND (Singh Ray) is my most used plate filter.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 05, 2013 02:34 as a reply to  @ Scatterbrained's post |  #3

Thanks for that, I need a reverse ND grad too :D, the Twilight set has a hard coloured strip but its not neutral and is clear at the top and bottom.

Surprisingly Lee don't make them, instead saying this

Reverse ND Grads

← Knowledge Base (external link)
Thanks for your email.
LEE Filters do not make a reverse ND grad. We do get asked for them a lot, but there are two reasons why we do not offer them.
Firstly, we think that reverse grads, as they are sold by some of our competitors, are not really a lot of use. All they really do is put a hard grad on the horizon line. The colour fades again at the top of the filter but it would have to be a very wide lens indeed to get both parts of the filter in shot.
What people really need for those 'sun below the horizon' shots is an ND stripe, and this can be achieved using two existing ND grads.
Take a look at this link http://www.onlandscape​.co.uk …-reverse-nd-grad-filters/ (external link) which was not created by us, but explains the technique well.
This technique really does work and is certainly worth a try, especially if you already have the ND grad filters.
The second reason we don't offer reverse grads is because we cannot actually make them using our production techniques, but even if we could, I doubt we would for the reasons given above
I hope this explains,
LEE Filters.

Quite funny really , as they have lots of filters with coloured strips so actually saying one thing for ND's yet doing it with colours.

I'm not sure how well the Hitech work these days, I've had Hitech of old and the colour cast was something I didn't want to deal with...I had a 9 stop ND and the Pink/Magenta cast was ridiculous.

Just looked at Singh Ray *Gulp , I thought Lee was expensive!

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Arob1000
836 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Apr 09, 2013 23:35 |  #4

^^^^^^^^^
Interesting link...I'm not sure if I agree though, I'm a big fan of the Reverse GND.

I have the Lee foundation kit. The guy I bought it from convinced me to buy the Singh Ray Reverse GND and a Lee 3 stop soft GND.

I'm really happy he gave me a deal on those as I use my Singh Ray all the time for sunsets.

A very common set-up for me in my 3 slot foundation kit is CPL, ND of some sort, GND.

In order of the most used filters, here is my list.

1.) Lee 4x4 Cicrular Polarizer
-obvious reasons

2.) Lee Big Stopper
-for long exposures

3.)Lee 3 Stop ND
-for semi-long exposures (stacked with CPL)

4.) Singh Ray Reverse GND
-great for sunsets but if you bracket exposures/blend you can get away without having one.

5.) Lee 3 Stop ND (soft)
-I don't use this one much, mainly for afternoon sky when I do but I usually like the results with the Singh Ray better.

Website (external link) :cool:500px (external link) :cool: Flickr (external link) :cool: Facebook (external link) :cool:Blog (external link):cool:

*Jayrou
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,121 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 10, 2013 02:43 |  #5

Arob1000 wrote in post #15810459 (external link)
^^^^^^^^^
Interesting link...I'm not sure if I agree though, I'm a big fan of the Reverse GND.

I have the Lee foundation kit. The guy I bought it from convinced me to buy the Singh Ray Reverse GND and a Lee 3 stop soft GND.

I'm really happy he gave me a deal on those as I use my Singh Ray all the time for sunsets.

A very common set-up for me in my 3 slot foundation kit is CPL, ND of some sort, GND.

In order of the most used filters, here is my list.

1.) Lee 4x4 Cicrular Polarizer
-obvious reasons

2.) Lee Big Stopper
-for long exposures

3.)Lee 3 Stop ND
-for semi-long exposures (stacked with CPL)

4.) Singh Ray Reverse GND
-great for sunsets but if you bracket exposures/blend you can get away without having one.

5.) Lee 3 Stop ND (soft)
-I don't use this one much, mainly for afternoon sky when I do but I usually like the results with the Singh Ray better.

Thats the same set up I use minus the Reverse GND may have to look into that...:D

James
Flickr  (external link)
Website (external link)

Tioph
38 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 12, 2013 03:51 |  #6

Lee series filter is very good.

sponsored links

3,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lee Sunset and Twilight Filter Sets
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.