Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 08 Apr 2013 (Monday) 23:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Doing Some Growing

samefly
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 08, 2013 23:53 |  #1

As of now I've just been doing photos of whatever catches my eye. I'm still learning fundamentals and discovering what kind of photographer I am. I'm trying to transition out of snap shots into more more thought through developed photography and taking on
paid gigs. In the beginning I tried hard to find the magical lens that could do it all, coming close with the sigma 17-70mm. I've recently come to understand and respect the power of prime lenses. Each being incredibly strong for specific tasks. I'm on a limited budget so my options are narrow and have to be thought through. I'm also trying to manage expenses until paid gigs justify (and pay for) higher end lenses. I'm currently on a crop sensor but plan to eventual enter the world of full frame so I'd like lenses that can transitions along with me.

So far my train of thought has been to get a couple low cost prime lens workhorses:

Street/Journalistic/Fu​ll Body Portraits - Canon 35mm f/2 (external link) (the older non IS)

Portraits/Headshots - Canon 85mm f/1.8 (external link)

Product/Macro - Canon 100mm f/2.8 (external link) (thinking the longer working distance would be beneficial)

I understand that it's not all about gear but I feel the right gear for the right job does make a difference. What do you think of the lens choices and direction? I'd really like to hear from some of you experienced professionals that can remember when you were just starting off (and how you'd do it if you had to starting all over again)

daru photography (external link)
facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,932 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 09, 2013 02:19 |  #2

I can certainly envy your upcoming purchases. To have a good glass will certainly will be a bonus in your efforts.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

samefly
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 09, 2013 02:36 |  #3

osh_sekta wrote in post #15806668 (external link)
I can certainly envy your upcoming purchases. To have a good glass will certainly will be a bonus in your efforts.

This forum has been really good to me, both in knowledge and used equipment purchases :) I really appreciate the insight, motivation, inspiration, and constructive critiques found here. So many of the images I see here definitely make me strive to do better.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 10, 2013 04:31 |  #4

samefly wrote in post #15806395 (external link)
So far my train of thought has been to get a couple low cost prime lens workhorses:

Street/Journalistic/Fu​ll Body Portraits - Canon 35mm f/2 (external link) (the older non IS)

Product/Macro - Canon 100mm f/2.8 (external link) (thinking the longer working distance would be beneficial)

I understand that it's not all about gear but I feel the right gear for the right job does make a difference. What do you think of the lens choices and direction? I'd really like to hear from some of you experienced professionals that can remember when you were just starting off (and how you'd do it if you had to starting all over again)

sounds like a plan. others prefer different lens, for example, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for crops but you can't go wrong with those choices

samefly
THREAD ­ STARTER
246 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 10, 2013 09:22 |  #5

watt100 wrote in post #15810817 (external link)
sounds like a plan. others prefer different lens, for example, the Sigma 30mm 1.4 for crops but you can't go wrong with those choices

Originally that's what i had in mind but when I realized that at some point I will be going full frame I wanted to start adding lenses that would work in both camera bodies (plus the 35mm cost less giving me more $ for batteries, memory cards, etc)

Anyone else have some stories/experiences to share from when they first decided to take make this more than a hobby? What were some of the lessons you learned? Things you'd do differently?

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 10, 2013 11:02 |  #6

samefly wrote in post #15811423 (external link)
Anyone else have some stories/experiences to share from when they first decided to take make this more than a hobby? What were some of the lessons you learned? Things you'd do differently?

Only since you asked

1. Lenses won't make you stand out.
  2. Gear collection and earning money for it take time away from shooting, reading and learning.
  3. To get a good photo you need good light and good composition. Once you get that part down, "wrong" gear won't ruin the picture
  4. Photography hobby to photography work is what painting mona lisa is to painting houses.
Ken Rockwell has some solid advice on what to read and what to think about besides lenses to improve.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 10, 2013 11:34 |  #7

samefly wrote in post #15806395 (external link)
As of now I've just been doing photos of whatever catches my eye. I'm still learning fundamentals and discovering what kind of photographer I am. I'm trying to transition out of snap shots into more more thought through developed photography and taking on
paid gigs. In the beginning I tried hard to find the magical lens that could do it all, coming close with the sigma 17-70mm. I've recently come to understand and respect the power of prime lenses. Each being incredibly strong for specific tasks. I'm on a limited budget so my options are narrow and have to be thought through. I'm also trying to manage expenses until paid gigs justify (and pay for) higher end lenses. I'm currently on a crop sensor but plan to eventual enter the world of full frame so I'd like lenses that can transitions along with me.

Sounds like reasonable purchases inline with the intended purpose of each lens. I think you are taking a good approach to this.

By the time I took my first paying gig, I was already a decent photographer and had the necessary gear to take it on. (Backup camera, lens redundancy, etc, etc.)

That said, there's really no formula to it. Some people get really good at it really quickly or they start taking paid gigs early on and do very well.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,599 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Apr 10, 2013 12:18 as a reply to  @ nicksan's post |  #8

35F2 is OK for the street. It just plastic and MF is not so good on this one.
If you want to use lens for the street it must have perfect MF, and AF is just optional.
My choice and recommendation is OM. Zuiko 28mm MF prime. 2.8 or 3.5 doesn't matter for the street photography, because it works best at 5.6-8.
Very small metal body, including hood, ultra fast to focus for street photography, much more fun and pleasure to use compare to old 35F2. Plus, it is better FOV on crop camera for the street.
And cost less. It will do FBP as well.

Also, no needs for two lens which provide very similar results in terms of portraits.
One macro is good enough. Better spend money for light. Which makes bigger difference.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

1,104 views & 0 likes for this thread
Doing Some Growing
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.