Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 02:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best UV filter?

nathan549
155 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Apr 09, 2013 02:50 |  #1

Im just about to buy a 70-200 f2.8 IS II and i need a a great quality uv filter. I was thinking on getting a B+W mrc UV filter but when i look it up there is a "professional and a premium" style. Which one is the better one?
xs-pro or f-pro?
What UV filter do you suggest i should get?

Canon 60D - 24-70mm 2.8 L II - 70-200mm 2.8 L IS II - Speedlight 600 ex-rt - Broncolor Move 1200L pack + A2L pack + MobiLED flash head

sponsored links
nellyle
Goldmember
1,228 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 09, 2013 03:00 |  #2

None, seems like heresy to put a UV filter on that lens to me!

5D3, 7D2, 1D3, 40D, 14 f2.8 Samyang, 17-40 L, 28-80 L, 70-200 2.8ii L, 200 2.8ii L, 200-400 L, 1.4 ii,
http://chris-stamp.smugmug.com/ (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 09, 2013 03:02 |  #3

I think xs-pro means slim mount and f-pro means regular. For a 70-200 an f-pro is fine.
No idea about professional or premium... I just use the UV MRC 010 f-pro on my lenses. No perceptible impact on IQ even in harsh lighting, so I'm happy.

Also, the OP has clearly done research since he is looking into buying a very high quality filter, which shows that he knows what he needs, and he is asking which filter to buy, not whether he should buy one. So I don't see the point of turning this into another ridiculous thread on filters vs no filters.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 09, 2013 03:12 |  #4

nathan549 wrote in post #15806715 (external link)
Im just about to buy a 70-200 f2.8 IS II and i need a a great quality uv filter. I was thinking on getting a B+W mrc UV filter but when i look it up there is a "professional and a premium" style. Which one is the better one?
xs-pro or f-pro?
What UV filter do you suggest i should get?

None here either. Don't see any reason to spend $100 for something that isn't needed.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

sploo
premature adulation
2,476 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 09, 2013 03:37 as a reply to  @ Sirrith's post |  #5

I've been using Hoya HD UV filters. I've not noticed the difference with/without the filter in terms of metering and quality so don't worry about adding one. The Hoya HD seems to be easier to keep clean than their pro-1 range, and are reputed as very scratch resistant.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 09, 2013 03:47 |  #6

AFAIK, no tests as exhaustive as Foto Magazin's round-up have been redone with some of the newer filters (like Hoya's recent updates) that used resolution as a metric. In that test, using MTF measures, Heliopan and B+W topped the charts for resolution.

Lenstip has more recently done a test that uses light transmission, for whatever that's worth, and found that Hoya's filters did the best.

I doubt you'd go wrong with multi-coated versions of any of these filters (Heliopan, B+W, and Hoya).

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 09, 2013 04:39 |  #7

The best UV filter is something cheap and horrible. Spend no more than $10 on Ebay.

That way you'll waste only a small amount of money when you realise that every 'protective' filter will, at some time, noticeably degrade your image.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Mag-1981
987 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2012

Apr 09, 2013 05:24 |  #8

UV is a waste of money. I don't know about the high end ones but I once bought Hoya mid price range UV filter just to add protection to the glass and I soon discovered that it causes terrible flares. Good CP would be a better buy.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 09, 2013 06:20 |  #9

None

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

rgs
Goldmember
2,344 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 09, 2013 07:01 |  #10

None is the best.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,476 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 09, 2013 07:25 |  #11

So despite Sirrith's excellent point of...

Sirrith wrote in post #15806734 (external link)
So I don't see the point of turning this into another ridiculous thread on filters vs no filters.

...we're heading down the usual road ;).

Let's look at it this way: anything you put in front of your lens is almost certainly going to have some negative impact in some circumstances. The question is: are you willing to accept the potential problems, given the benefits of protecting the front element?

Roger Cicala at LensRentals has previously made the point about the low costs of replacing the front element of most lenses - such that it doesn't make economic sense to use a UV filter (especially given the potential problems it may cause). However, I suspect that most people would find it cheaper/quicker to replace a £50-£100 filter than send a lens off for repair.

I've tested lenses with/without the Hoya HD UV filters, and found no discernible metering difference or image quality (even when pixel peeping) in the tests I've conducted. In terms of real world shooting, it's entirely possible there might be reduced contrast, increased flare etc. - but I can't recall a shot where I've suspected problems with the filter. Obviously, different shooters will experience different scenarios, and you must make the judgement yourself.

Having not been aware of problems, and having had small people manage to poke the end of a lens with a stick (despite the presence of a hood), on balance, I use (hopefully decent quality) UV filters*. Different usage scenarios may demand a different choice.

* Except when I'm shooting auroras, mounting other filters on the end, doing landscape work on a tripod etc. (i.e. it's all about scenarios)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,214 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 09, 2013 07:36 |  #12

The best protection is included in the package with this lens -- a lens hood.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Stephen ­ Lee
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 09, 2013 07:45 |  #13

I'm curious how the Zeiss filters compare to the B+W or the Hoya HD filters.

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 09, 2013 09:08 |  #14

I use Hoya HD's and comparing carefully see no IQ loss at all. Easy to clean as well.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,476 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Apr 09, 2013 09:53 |  #15

Scott M wrote in post #15807203 (external link)
The best protection is included in the package with this lens -- a lens hood.

----->

sploo wrote in post #15807169 (external link)
...and having had small people manage to poke the end of a lens with a stick (despite the presence of a hood)

(but I do agree that a hood is very important & useful)

sponsored links

11,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best UV filter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.