Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 4Lor 2.8L

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2013 07:21 |  #31

another question, the 4L IS is twice as much as the Non-IS, im not so concerned with IS, i can throw it on a monopod to help with camera shake. how does the sharpness compare?

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links
jimewall
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 11, 2013 11:40 |  #32

mike_311 wrote in post #15815204 (external link)
another question, the 4L IS is twice as much as the Non-IS, im not so concerned with IS, i can throw it on a monopod to help with camera shake. how does the sharpness compare?

I don't know about the f/4, but I had (have) an Tamron f/2.8 that I only carried when I knew I would use it. I picked up the MKI and I almost always take it. The IS allows for easier handheld use in way more situations that the non-IS.

Thanks for Reading & Good Luck - Jim
GEAR

Mark-B
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 11, 2013 11:57 |  #33

The f/4 non-IS is a good lens - it's the one photographers used for 7 years before the IS version came out, and it's still just as good now as it was then.

Just keeping your options open, you could do the 70-200 f/4 non-IS and the 200mm f/2.8L II for not much more than the 70-200 f/4 IS. Buy used and get them for less.

Having said that, I went from the 70-200 f/4 non-IS to the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II a few months ago and couldn't be happier.

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,215 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2013 12:11 |  #34

The IS version is sharper. It was canon's sharpest zoom until it was surpassed by the MKII 2.8 version. IS makes this zoom a lot more versatile. If you are doing portraits you dont want to be using a monopod and worrying about keeping your shutter speed so high while balancing ambient and strobe.

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2013 13:27 |  #35

gonzogolf wrote in post #15816162 (external link)
The IS version is sharper. It was canon's sharpest zoom until it was surpassed by the MKII 2.8 version. IS makes this zoom a lot more versatile. If you are doing portraits you dont want to be using a monopod and worrying about keeping your shutter speed so high while balancing ambient and strobe.

good point. how many stops does the IS afford?

in all reality if im using artificial light outdoors im not going to be using the 70-200, i'll just use the 85.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,215 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 11, 2013 13:41 |  #36

mike_311 wrote in post #15816443 (external link)
good point. how many stops does the IS afford?

in all reality if im using artificial light outdoors im not going to be using the 70-200, i'll just use the 85.

The rated IS is 4 stops. I've handheld it down to 1/30. Beats 1/200 on the non-IS.

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2013 17:43 |  #37

1/30 at 200?

im really trying to talk myself into only needing to non-is... you arent helping :)

mike_311
THREAD ­ STARTER
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2013 19:24 |  #38

Mark-B wrote in post #15816094 (external link)
The f/4 non-IS is a good lens - it's the one photographers used for 7 years before the IS version came out, and it's still just as good now as it was then.

Just keeping your options open, you could do the 70-200 f/4 non-IS and the 200mm f/2.8L II for not much more than the 70-200 f/4 IS. Buy used and get them for less.

while i hate saying no to glass, what benefit does it really offer over keeping my 85 and just getting a 200L, what use would i have for the 70-200/4 except having a zoom? just curious.

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Apr 11, 2013 21:05 as a reply to  @ mike_311's post |  #39

Hey Mike,

Important note #1:
Your clients won't be able to freeze still enough for a 1/30s exposure so....!
:o

I think way too many people forget (ignore) that IS doesn't freeze a subject! If you're shooting cars/bikes on a track, panning the shot, using IS mode-2, then yes, it's going to help to create blurred motion effects while still getting the vehicle sharp - due to monodirectional IS.

But you've specifically said several times that you shoot people.
Your website shows this to great effect.
IS - no matter how great the technology is - won't make much difference if your models are wobbling all over the place.

Just because the view through the camera looks sweet, doesn't mean you NEED that, to take sharp photos.

This is EXACTLY why I bought a 70-200L f/2.8 non-IS for my work.
Like you, my margins are also slim, so, what was the point in IS on a ~200mm lens which will need to be at 1/350s or more to freeze motion at concerts?
Answer: no point whatsoever.

mike_311 wrote in post #15815144 (external link)
i know i need 85, i use all the time, its my favorite lens...//...

Then keep it!!

this all started because im setting up a shoot with a couple in a few weeks and i intend to do a variety of shots in a short amount of time, some of those shots will be them in a boat on a lake where i can't get close enough with my 85 standing on the edge of the lake.

OK, this is important note #2.
UNLESS you can tether the boat, it's going to be moving plenty = you need a decent shutter speed = IS won't do much.

AND, unless tethered, FL really could become an issue.

So, it's beginning to sound to me like you should go and do a test shoot.

Take your wife to the lake - promise some wine, or dinner, or something nice! - and try the shoot with your 85mm. If you can set it up like that, you can wait on the new lens until you've some more cash saved.

BUT, if 85mm really isn't enough, the zoom could save the shoot.

As has been mentioned, if cash is an issue, look at the Sigma 70-200 OS f/2.8.

Or, before the test-shoot rent a 200Lf/2.8 and see if that, plus your 85mm will do, as you could simply walk BACK, inland, with the 200L if it's too long.
Don't forget, most people use zooms at either end of their focal range...very rarely somewhere in the middle.
So, 85mm + 200mm is what most people use anyway.....except that your 85mm goes down to f/1.4!!!
;)

Hmmm....plenty to think about!
Regards, and let us know what you do.

Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links

3,872 views & 0 likes for this thread
70-200 4Lor 2.8L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.