Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 23:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Motorcycle Travel Kit Thoughts

Harpo63
265 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 11, 2013 17:24 |  #16

jkdwings wrote in post #15815923 (external link)
Thanks for the links! I had checked out MotoJournalism before, but had not seen The Oasis of My Soul; I'll give it a peruse! In terms of carrying the gear, I definitely won't have it on my back. I've got side bags for most of my equipment, and will probably mount a locking Pelican as a top case for the camera gear. When I want quick access, I'll carry the camera in my tank bag, where there is the least jarring around from the road. I have been reading adventure bike travel ride reports for the last couple years, and have seen many people carry their gear this way with no problems.

In terms of going to a smaller setup, I've certainly thought about it. I think I would really regret not having an SLR with me, as the joy of using it outweighs the weight and size most of the time. Going back to my Europe trip again, I could have carried all my gear in my 40 liter pack, however I brought my 70 so that I could bring the camera and lenses. I'm glad I did.

Thanks again to a fellow rider!

Jason

I dont blame you for leaning towards the DSLR instead of the smaller camera. Since you plan to use a pelican case on the top of the rear, thats good. Yes, you're right, many do have a tank bag for convenience. Knowing you will have to make some space compromises and extra expenses (pelican case) to have the camera you want, go for it!

5D3 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-70 f2.8 II L : 70-200 f2.8 II L : 50mm f1.4 : 600EX-RT

sponsored links
Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2013 18:44 |  #17

kin2son wrote in post #15815612 (external link)
I would look into mirrorless solution such as Fuji XE-1, Nex series or OM-D.

L.J.G. wrote in post #15817046 (external link)
+ 2 for this. The OM-D is highly portable and gives great IQ with the 2 kit lens.

I will third this option. For traveling the OM-D is an absolute joy. Great build quality, compact yet meaty enough for someone who is used to a larger camera, excellent image quality, plenty of compact and nice performing lenses. you could pack the OM-D and a trio of lenses for it in the amount of space just a 7D would take up. The XE-1 looks nice as well, but it it still limited for lenses compared to m4/3rds, and the lenses available are all pricey.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

Billginthekeys
Billy the kid
7,359 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2013 18:47 |  #18

jkdwings wrote in post #15815923 (external link)
In terms of going to a smaller setup, I've certainly thought about it. I think I would really regret not having an SLR with me, as the joy of using it outweighs the weight and size most of the time. Going back to my Europe trip again, I could have carried all my gear in my 40 liter pack, however I brought my 70 so that I could bring the camera and lenses. I'm glad I did.

All I can say is don't count it out until you try it. I purchased an OM-D for a two week trip to Europe in the fall, I also brought my DSLR's in case I really hated it, and they never left the room.

Mr. the Kid.
Go Canes!
My Gallery (external link)My Gear
what the L. just go for it.

jkdwings
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2013 18:58 |  #19

ChuckingFluff wrote in post #15817036 (external link)
They are some great images on the thread below taken with the lens.

https://photography-on-the.net …&highlight=28-300&page=73

That does, in fact, look like an amazing lens! But at $2500, it's more than I want to spend. It's also very large and heavy, which I wouldn't want all the time, I think.

Canon 7D | Opteka 6.5mm/3.5 Fisheye | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon 35/2IS | Canon 50/1.8 II | Helios 44-2 58/2 | Sears 135/2.8 | Canon 70-200/4L
Canon T1i | Canon 18-55/3.5-5.6 IS

jkdwings
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 11, 2013 19:01 |  #20

Billginthekeys wrote in post #15817492 (external link)
I will third this option. For traveling the OM-D is an absolute joy. Great build quality, compact yet meaty enough for someone who is used to a larger camera, excellent image quality, plenty of compact and nice performing lenses. you could pack the OM-D and a trio of lenses for it in the amount of space just a 7D would take up. The XE-1 looks nice as well, but it it still limited for lenses compared to m4/3rds, and the lenses available are all pricey.

Alright, alright, with all the recommendations I've been hearing for the OM-D lately, I suppose I'll have to take a look at it before I drop the coin on the 7D. Thanks for giving me more options/decisions to have to make :rolleyes: Haha, when I get some free time, it's back to the local shop!

Canon 7D | Opteka 6.5mm/3.5 Fisheye | Tokina 11-16/2.8 | Canon 15-85/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon 35/2IS | Canon 50/1.8 II | Helios 44-2 58/2 | Sears 135/2.8 | Canon 70-200/4L

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 11, 2013 19:02 |  #21

jkdwings wrote in post #15817529 (external link)
That does, in fact, look like an amazing lens! But at $2500, it's more than I want to spend. It's also very large and heavy, which I wouldn't want all the time, I think.

Also 28mm on a crop body is not really wide angle. It would be a better "take one only lens" on a FF.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

cebuRyda
109 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 11, 2013 19:57 as a reply to  @ L.J.G.'s post |  #22

I had to give this some thought less than a year ago. I did a loop from NorCal to East Florida last year. I had to decide was I going on the trip to take great photos or great memories. In the end I decided to take a small compact Canon S100. The amount of places I stopped and enjoyed it would have been more of a burden to pull the DSLR out rather than just take a snapshot with my compact. Knowing me I would have spent more time swapping out lens, adding filters, HDR etc. time lost enjoying the moment with my wife.

I had taken the DSLR to the Grand Canyon during a previous year ride. I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. That played into my decision. One thing to keep in mind is the weather. I rode through rain, hail, salt storms and I would have never taken out the DSLR under those conditions. All of the photos on my blog site were taken with an iPhone or S100. It really was about the ride, photos were secondary.

Oh! May consider a GoPro. I attached one on my windshield and have hours of footage. I think I watched 2 minutes worth. :confused:

My ride (external link)
My 2c.

5DMKIII Gripped, 7D Gripped, 50D Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 35 2.0, 85 1.8, 70-200L 2.8IS, 17-40L, 28-135, 100-300, 580EX, 580EXII & S100
Gallery (external link), My Blog (external link) and Facebook (external link)

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 12, 2013 00:47 |  #23

From another ADV Rider - fyyff :)

Given the $300 difference - measure this against a warranty. I'd probably take the new camera.
I used to use a 17-85 on my 7D but found the lens creates a lot of CA that I couldn't correct. Apart from this, the 15-85 is a bit wider and the slight overlap with your 11-16 will cover all bases.
The 70-200 works well with the 7D.

On biking - well my scoot and I parted ways when I moved to Toronto but my 20 years of expeditions around Southern Africa had some priorities - first petrol, second tools, third shelter, fourth camera. I used an OM system which was a whole lot more compact tho.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

jkdwings
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2013 00:50 |  #24

cebuRyda wrote in post #15817703 (external link)
I had to give this some thought less than a year ago. I did a loop from NorCal to East Florida last year. I had to decide was I going on the trip to take great photos or great memories. In the end I decided to take a small compact Canon S100. The amount of places I stopped and enjoyed it would have been more of a burden to pull the DSLR out rather than just take a snapshot with my compact. Knowing me I would have spent more time swapping out lens, adding filters, HDR etc. time lost enjoying the moment with my wife.

I had taken the DSLR to the Grand Canyon during a previous year ride. I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. That played into my decision. One thing to keep in mind is the weather. I rode through rain, hail, salt storms and I would have never taken out the DSLR under those conditions. All of the photos on my blog site were taken with an iPhone or S100. It really was about the ride, photos were secondary.

Oh! May consider a GoPro. I attached one on my windshield and have hours of footage. I think I watched 2 minutes worth. :confused:

My ride (external link)
My 2c.

Thanks for the couple pennies! Every bit of experience people here have shared with me is proving to be valuable and create more options. Going as simple as a point and shoot has its appeals to my minimalist side, however, I don't think I'd be satisfied. This trip won't be on a time crunch at all, so I plan to take it slow and photography is something I'd like to make a good part of it. I'll be taking off indefinitely after convocation, until the money runs out I suppose. At that point, I may stay somewhere for a period of time before coming home.

Jason

jkdwings
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2013 01:08 |  #25

noisejammer wrote in post #15818527 (external link)
From another ADV Rider - fyyff :)

Given the $300 difference - measure this against a warranty. I'd probably take the new camera.
I used to use a 17-85 on my 7D but found the lens creates a lot of CA that I couldn't correct. Apart from this, the 15-85 is a bit wider and the slight overlap with your 11-16 will cover all bases.
The 70-200 works well with the 7D.

On biking - well my scoot and I parted ways when I moved to Toronto but my 20 years of expeditions around Southern Africa had some priorities - first petrol, second tools, third shelter, fourth camera. I used an OM system which was a whole lot more compact tho.

That's kind of what I've been thinking too, regarding new vs used, and I'm still stuck on it. The way I see it, the costs work out roughly like this for a 7D and 15-85 combo (based on prices I have found):

(1) New 7D kit with 15-85 = $1870 incl. taxes
(2) Used 7D ($880) + Used 15-85 (~$650) = $1530 incl. taxes

So that's an extra $340 for a new body and new lens as opposed to both used. Well, now that I've typed those numbers out, it's a bit more difference than I was thinking. But it doesn't change the fact that the shop doesn't know the history on the used body, which I quite honestly find strange. They said I could take 2 weeks with it to check it out, so I could find out the shutter count and make sure it runs through all its paces. $340 is a good bit of coin to save. In fact it more than covers the cost of the tripod/ball head I just ordered. Grrrr...decisions. And that's assuming I want to go with the 15-85 (which I am leaning towards, unless anyone has other suggestions).

Have any stories/accounts written up from gallivanting in South Africa? Sounds awesome!

jkdwings
THREAD ­ STARTER
97 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 12, 2013 01:12 |  #26

L.J.G. wrote in post #15817541 (external link)
Also 28mm on a crop body is not really wide angle. It would be a better "take one only lens" on a FF.

Another valid point. The 11-16 would complement it pretty well, but then I'd be missing the whole point of a one-lens option.

speedync
Goldmember
1,462 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2011

Apr 12, 2013 02:09 as a reply to  @ jkdwings's post |  #27

I wouldn't bother with the 7D. Anything in the Rebel series from the T2i/550D on will give exactly the same results. Same sensor, same pictures. The bonus of the Rebel, is that it's smaller, lighter, cheaper, and because it's plastic, bounces better. Buy the cheapest body, and spend more on Canon lenses.
I have a 550D and 15-85 as my motorcycle travel kit, and it works a treat. Tried a mates 7D, and the only advantage I can see, is you can shoot fast moving subjects using outer focus points. Centre point on a Rebel is fine. If you buy a 650D, it has all 9 cross type AF points. Same as a 60D, but smaller and lighter.
If you want a bit more reach, just pick up the excellent, cheap, small, light and highly under rated 55-250. Plenty good enough for motorcycle travels. I shot these with that exact lens and my 550D on a cloudy overcast day http://www.flickr.com …0/sets/72157632​651954209/ (external link) To get anything much better, I suspect you'd have to more than quadruple your spend. But that's just me :)
I have the excellent 40mm pancake for inside type shots, and also a 24mm f/2.8. For me, it's the Goldilocks setup.

noisejammer
Goldmember
1,053 posts
Joined May 2010

Apr 12, 2013 07:29 |  #28

jkdwings wrote in post #15818573 (external link)
Have any stories/accounts written up from gallivanting in South Africa? Sounds awesome!

Sadly not - many of them predated the ubiquitous internet but highlights were trips to Cape Town (4000 km loop), Botswana (1500 km loop), the Lowveld (1100 km loop with the classic bike club), two trips to the Drakensberg mts and QwaQwa (each a 1500 km loop). I started planning a solo expedition to Namibia (also around 4000 km) when work got in the way and moved me to the GWN.

Several cameras and more glass than I will admit to.
Flickr (external link)

ChuckingFluff
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 12, 2013 11:35 |  #29

Stick to the 7D the Rebels are cheaper for a reason. I've shot t3, t3i and t4i and I wouldn't trade my 7D for all of them combined. The t4i is pretty impressive indoors with low light but there are some posterization (some think it's banding) issues that I noticed in the images. If you still want a one lens solution and don't want the weight or cost try the Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD. light weight cost a lot less and image quality is pretty impressive.

https://photography-on-the.net …page=116&highli​ght=18-270

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,812 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 12, 2013 11:57 |  #30

nice to see so many ADVRider's here.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

4,719 views & 0 likes for this thread
Motorcycle Travel Kit Thoughts
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.