Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Apr 2013 (Thursday) 20:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photos keep getting blown out! Help!

lisaannephotography
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 11, 2013 20:52 |  #1

So I'm new at studio photography, I have a b800 with a large octabox, and I usually have it at half power, about 4 feet away & up above the subject. My settings on the camera are usually: ISO 100, SS 160, & F stop between 8-10. I've played around with the settings & where the light is positioned quite a bit, and the photos keep ending up a little washed out. What is the best way to fix this? Also, what is "hot lighting" ? On the critique forums I keep getting told my lighting is a bit hot but not sure what that means. :oops:

Thanks so much!!

(I'll attach an example)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2013 20:57 |  #2

Lisa, how are you measuring exposure? Are you using a flash meter?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

lisaannephotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Apr 11, 2013 21:23 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #3

sapearl, I tried using a flash meter (cheap one from amazon) & it kept saying to use F stop 12+, which made the photos too dark. So I've just been using "trial & error" really.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 11, 2013 21:31 |  #4

Well, hot lighting can mean two things depending upon context. Originally they were continuous incandescent lights (not like our strobes today). Or if thing are overly exposed, people sometimes say the subject is a bit "hot."

Judging by the sample you have I don't believe you are too far off in your trial and error. You are maybe only 1-2 stops overexposed. Try using f/11 or f/16 which will give you a deep depth of field which you may not want, or simply move the light from 4' out to 8' which will cut the intensity by about a stop if I did my math correctly. You are getting close, so try things in small, 1-stop increments. Good luck!;) Btw - I forgot my manners....welcome to POTN.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 11, 2013 21:32 |  #5

The term 'hot' is referring to there being too much light... However, the term 'cold' doesn't mean that it's dark ;-)a

If you aren't using a flash meter, use the histogram on the back of your camera. When you see that there are large amounts (and specifically peaks) on the right side of the histogram, it's usually overexposed. Also, turn on the 'blinkies' so that it shows you what parts of the image are overexposed.

When you used the flash meter, did you also match the ISO setting on the meter to your camera setting?

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2013 21:36 |  #6

Are you shooting in Manual mode (M)?

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 11, 2013 22:17 |  #7

feather the light.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

kouasupra
Goldmember
2,750 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 12, 2013 01:44 |  #8

Up your F stop to around 11-16.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 12, 2013 02:48 |  #9

kouasupra wrote in post #15818635 (external link)
Up your F stop to around 11-16.

For the picture above, this would have worked...

Hopefully, the OP understands that this isn't necessary for all future shoots though.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Apr 12, 2013 04:34 |  #10

Interesting OP says uses F8-10. This gives overblown images. So lets assume she was using F10.
(Sorry can't see exif data on an ipad4.)

And the cheapo lightnmeter says F12. Not that far off - looks like F11 to F12 might be perfect.
Or set for F12 and compensate on camera with -1/2 F stop. On the exposure overide.
On my camera the 7D being a little hot say 1/3 hot and binging it back in post is alledgedly better i.e. less noise!

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 12, 2013 05:48 |  #11

Call me crazy, but I'd reduce the flash power. 1/4 of a B800 is quite a bit of power, even through a soft box.

Here's a quick test for you: explain in 10 words or less the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and iso. 10 words is more than a professional needs, but is far less than an amateur needs.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2013 10:03 |  #12

If you don't trust the light meter then maybe try this. Scroll down to the gent holding the towel.

http://super.nova.org/​DPR/Histogram/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 12, 2013 10:11 |  #13

howesit wrote in post #15819644 (external link)
another option is to bump the shutter speed up a little, but you probably can't bump it too much.

Sorry, that's bad advice. Changing the shutter speed will not change the flash exposure.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Apr 12, 2013 10:28 |  #14

Yeah. Just pick 1/125 for a basic starting point as you are not interested in balancing ambient in the studio. Typical studio F stop for studio is about F8 and ISO at 100 as those strobes are powerful. Adjust flash power using the white towel method and see what you get.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 12, 2013 10:44 |  #15

howesit wrote in post #15819644 (external link)
another option is to bump the shutter speed up a little, but you probably can't bump it too much.

HUH???

How does shutter speed affect flash exposure?

To the OP: lower flash power and/or stop down and/or move the softbox further away. ANY of those things will reduce flash exposure.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

5,799 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photos keep getting blown out! Help!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.