Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Apr 2013 (Saturday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Best" SD-card?

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 13, 2013 18:08 |  #1

Looking to upgrade from my Sandisk Secure Digital 8GB Ultra SDHC 30MB/s Class 10 to a 16 or 32GB card. Any suggestions?

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
JohanBorjesson
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 13, 2013 18:16 |  #2

I'm also wondering if the write speed does make a difference? I mean I've found cards that are 90MB/s.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 13, 2013 18:36 |  #3

It all comes down to what are you going to use that card for.
If it is a HD video recording, RAW still shooting at burst mode, then YES.
If a simple old video camera or still camera; No.
Some newer cameras will not record video in full frame rate and frame size if you are not using the very high writing speed card.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

JohanBorjesson
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 13, 2013 18:37 |  #4

samsen wrote in post #15824556 (external link)
It all comes down to what are you going to use that card for.
If it is a HD video recording, RAW still shooting at burst mode, then YES.
If a simple old video camera or still camera; No.
Some newer cameras will not record video in full frame rate and frame size if you are not using the very high writing speed card.

Only still shooting, RAW+JPEG and I am doing alot of burst as well.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

PapaGary
515 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Apr 13, 2013 18:50 |  #5

Sandisk has a Product Compatibility Tool (external link).

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 13, 2013 19:07 |  #6

Any (reputable brand) Class 10 is fast enough for even HD (1920x1080p) video; faster transfer rated will matter more (if your camera has a high enough bandwidth bus to the card) if you shoot bursts a lot. The limiting factors in burst mode are

1. The size of the camera's buffer (as long as that's got room, you can keep shooting; fortunately that's a published (and reasonably consistent) number.
  2. The speed of the camera's data bus between buffer and card. That's not really documented anywhere, though, so you're just taking a chance going for high speed cards. There's a point at which card speed won't affect transfer rate.
Note, too, that burst mode doesn't just mean holding down the shutter button to hear that machine-gun rattle. I've filled buffers in single-shot mode but with a lot of action. Takes longer than if you're letting the camera rattle along at max. frame rate, but it can be done. And card speed may be a bigger factor here than in "pure" burst mode, since there's more chance for the camera to write out to the card between frames.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 13, 2013 20:27 |  #7

^ T4i is very selective.
Any card less that 30 mbs writing speed, will record video only for one second before giving error message.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 13, 2013 20:34 |  #8

samsen wrote in post #15824816 (external link)
^ T4i is very selective.
Any card less that 30 mbs writing speed, will record video only for one second before giving error message.

What brands have you tried?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Apr 14, 2013 12:30 |  #9

samsen wrote in post #15824816 (external link)
^ T4i is very selective.

If I take what you wrote literally, then 30 mbps is not fast enough, since the video bit stream is 5.5 MB/sec (or, 44 Mbps).

However, I suspect you meant 30 MB/sec, in which case that is only about 5 times FASTER than the T4i needs for HD video.

Tom

jbrackjr
483 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 14, 2013 17:21 |  #10

For the 60D any SDHC or SDXC UHS Class 10 card should work just fine. I have the SD Sandisk Ultra, Extreme and ProExtreme in various sizes. They all work the same. The difference in speed that I see is when uploading files from the card to my computer.

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links

2,520 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Best" SD-card?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.