Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Apr 2013 (Monday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CS5 or 6 bridge not recognizing xmp files

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2013 13:08 |  #1

Had another photographer help me on a wedding and after working on his Canon raw files in my Adobe Photoshop CS5 (or 6) bridge, it does generate the xmp files but bridge is not recognizing them and none of my changes are saved or even processed even though the xmp files are there. I have no problem on the image I took, but I copied his raw files from his cf card onto my hard drive in a folder all their own and when processing them in either CS5 or 6 bridge, the xmp files are not recognized and none of my work is processed or saved. I reopen the same images and nothing was saved or even show that they were even processed even though the xmp files are there. I did the file association thing, cleared the cache, etc..even deleted xmp files moved the raw files to another folder to start everything all over and still nothing. Anyone have any solutions I can try?
Thanks ahead of time for all responses. I'm using Windows 7 Professional 32 or 64 bit, none of that seems to matter.

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2013 13:52 |  #2

Check the date and time the photos were taken and ensure they are actually correct. If, for example, the photographer neglected to adjust his camera for Daylight Saving Time a month ago it could cause problems like you're experiencing where Bridge/ACR ignores the XMP metadata files because the photos were taken "in the future."

Gear List

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2013 14:55 |  #3

We shot the wedding on Sat. the 13th..and my date is correct. However all of his say 5/14..so his date and time are a day ahead of time..but he can still work on his with no problem..today is Monday and I cannot do anything to his still, 2 days afterward.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 15, 2013 15:22 |  #4

Shooting wrote in post #15830849 (external link)
We shot the wedding on Sat. the 13th..and my date is correct. However all of his say 5/14..so his date and time are a day ahead of time..but he can still work on his with no problem..today is Monday and I cannot do anything to his still, 2 days afterward.

5/14 is almost a month ahead. See this thread - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1271896

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2013 16:12 |  #5

Well, you've identified the problem.... his computer and camera are probably in sync but since your's isn't the problem shows up with your edits.

Gear List

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 15, 2013 17:49 |  #6

Ok great. I guess that is it..it says date created was yesterday 4/14, that is when I copied them over from the cf card..but date modified says 5/14 and the times is the times of the wedding so I guess it is ahead of time..is there a way to batch change the date of the files? there are 295 of them.

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 15, 2013 19:49 |  #7

Shooting wrote in post #15831524 (external link)
Ok great. I guess that is it..it says date created was yesterday 4/14, that is when I copied them over from the cf card..but date modified says 5/14 and the times is the times of the wedding so I guess it is ahead of time..is there a way to batch change the date of the files? there are 295 of them.

There are several options but I would strongly suggest using ExifTool (external link). And if you are on a Windows computer you might find it easier to use the ExifToolGUI (external link)

Make sure you follow this instructions closely, ExifTool is a very powerful utility. Also test it on a few copies of your original files before committing to changing the metadata of all your originals.

Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 16, 2013 04:02 |  #8

Date should be irrelevant. Make sure the filename is the same other than the extension then purge the cache. If that doesn't work zip two raw and two xmp files and make them available on the thread or private to someone here via dropbox/yousendit.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,859 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2013 06:50 |  #9

tim wrote in post #15833000 (external link)
Date should be irrelevant.

Should be, but evidently it is relevant. Adobe forum (external link) and POTN thread

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 16, 2013 15:56 |  #10

Interesting. Strange. My camera time is always sync'd with the computer so I've never noticed that.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 19, 2013 12:25 |  #11

tim wrote in post #15834926 (external link)
Interesting. Strange. My camera time is always sync'd with the computer so I've never noticed that.

yep, it is relevant. I changed the date of my computer to 5/19 and the xmp data automatically appeared and changes were put into effect... so until 5/14 I need to keep my computer date changed.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 19, 2013 15:14 |  #12

Or use software like "BulkFileChanger" to change the dates on all your files to today.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 19, 2013 16:49 |  #13

tim wrote in post #15846106 (external link)
Or use software like "BulkFileChanger" to change the dates on all your files to today.

Ok I'll look for that. The others I've found are either shareware and only works on 5 files or they change all the data and you have no way to pick what you want to change.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Apr 19, 2013 22:53 |  #14

Free, works fine http://www.nirsoft.net​/ (external link)

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2013 20:39 |  #15

tim wrote in post #15847412 (external link)
Free, works fine http://www.nirsoft.net​/ (external link)

Got it and did it and it worked great on my raw files but my jpegs still say date created 5/14..ran it several times on the jpegs and no data was changed, only worked on the raw files (sigh).. I'll have to change those one at a time manually I reckon.

sponsored links

6,428 views & 0 likes for this thread
CS5 or 6 bridge not recognizing xmp files
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.