Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 12:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advise re outdoor lighting

adrian5127
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 16, 2013 12:34 |  #1

Hi I am looking for something powerful enough to light horses in daylight so i can underexpose the background, like this http://www.horse-photographer.co.uk/ (external link) I had a go today using my 600 rx and realise I need a lot more power.

a friend has some elinchrom d-lights 400's for sale. Would these be powerful enough and if not what would you recommend. budget of £600.

Thanks

Adrian

Adrian
SE UK Thread here***Kit***smugmug (external link)
Wedding photography kent (external link)
Wedding photographer kent (external link)

sponsored links
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 16, 2013 12:47 |  #2

Those are cool shots. If your 600RX couldnt do this then a pair of 400s isnt going to either. I think an elinchrom ranger would be able to pull it off though. :D Or, you could do it in a barn, with a speedlight. ;)

Shane
flickr (external link)

adrian5127
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 16, 2013 12:55 |  #3

Shane thanks, my wallet was hoping you would not say that. Unfortunately the stables does not have a barn.

Adrian

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 16, 2013 13:24 as a reply to  @ adrian5127's post |  #4

Looks like much of the work has been done for you ;)

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1201626

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 16, 2013 13:26 |  #5

adrian5127 wrote in post #15834224 (external link)
Shane thanks, my wallet was hoping you would not say that. Unfortunately the stables does not have a barn.

Shoot at dusk? :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,210 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 16, 2013 13:27 |  #6

Yeah you are looking at a minimum of 1200 watt seconds of portable studio strobes to get those kind of results if you want to use any sort of modifier. This sort of work is not a budget friendly endeavor.

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 16, 2013 13:41 |  #7

adrian5127 wrote in post #15834224 (external link)

The stables have a stable right? ;) Shoot in there with your 600. Should be fine.

Shane
flickr (external link)

adrian5127
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 16, 2013 14:35 |  #8

Foodguy wrote in post #15834325 (external link)
Looks like much of the work has been done for you ;)

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1201626

thanks i will have a look

JakAHearts wrote in post #15834381 (external link)
The stables have a stable right? ;) Shoot in there with your 600. Should be fine.

okay for headshots but a bit limited for whole body ones :(

Adrian

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2013 14:43 |  #9

There are trade offs - to really underexpose ambient you need to do one of the following - without going into budgetary concerns:

High speed sync - using HSS capable triggers with about 5-8 speedlites to illuminate for full body. This will help you push your shutter speed higher to kill some of the ambient light, and bring the speedlites more into becoming the main light. Be aware, however, this is going to cost money - so probably renting a few speedlites might work best for this. :)

More power - You'll need probably around 800-1,200 watts of power (depending on distance to your subject that your light is and your modifier of choice) to be able to overpower the ambient the way you want.

ND/8 stop gradual ND filters - can screw them on to the front of your lens element to help kill some ambient, but your light STILL has to overcome the ND filter, and a 600 RT probably won't be able to swing it. You still need power in this regard.

Shoot at later time of the day when light isn't so hard/harsh or shoot on a heavy overcast day.

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 16, 2013 15:03 |  #10

Zansho wrote in post #15834585 (external link)
There are trade offs - to really underexpose ambient you need to do one of the following - without going into budgetary concerns:

High speed sync - using HSS capable triggers with about 5-8 speedlites to illuminate for full body. This will help you push your shutter speed higher to kill some of the ambient light, and bring the speedlites more into becoming the main light. Be aware, however, this is going to cost money - so probably renting a few speedlites might work best for this. :)

More power - You'll need probably around 800-1,200 watts of power (depending on distance to your subject that your light is and your modifier of choice) to be able to overpower the ambient the way you want.

ND/8 stop gradual ND filters - can screw them on to the front of your lens element to help kill some ambient, but your light STILL has to overcome the ND filter, and a 600 RT probably won't be able to swing it. You still need power in this regard.

Shoot at later time of the day when light isn't so hard/harsh or shoot on a heavy overcast day.

ND filter part is only for using wider apertures and still be within max sync speed when using strobes. It can't lower ambient without lowering so should not be listed as an option.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

adrian5127
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,208 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 16, 2013 15:13 |  #11

Gents thanks

I think it is a combination of either shooting first or last thing. Today I was shooting around 1100 albeit it was cloudy and a stronger light source.

@Zansho I think in principal that would work but I don't want to many light sources, the more likely it is for the horse to knock something over.

@Foodguy thanks that link is very informative.

Adrian

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 16, 2013 19:00 |  #12

Practically speaking you want to get the ambient about two stops below proper exposure. Then figure out what kind of light you need on the subject to bring it up to proper exposure.

ISO, shutter speed and F stop work together for ambient. Since only F stop and ISO impact flash (presuming you can sync the camera shutter) keeping those as low and open as possible helps with flash power requirements. Being able to get the light close to the subject also helps.

You appear to be in UK. Lenscarta, is just bring to market some strobes that have IGBT control. If they have an H mode option that will be helpful. The H mode the manufacturer has implemented in other products work much the same way High Speed Sync does. There is a power compromise, but it may still prove useful.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,698 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Apr 16, 2013 19:43 |  #13

bobbyz wrote in post #15834684 (external link)
ND filter part is only for using wider apertures and still be within max sync speed when using strobes. It can't lower ambient without lowering so should not be listed as an option.

Unless you turn the strobe power up, Bobby. Who wants to shoot at F22? :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,435 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 16, 2013 20:39 |  #14

That's why you need power for outdoor shots.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
2,547 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 16, 2013 22:04 |  #15

JakAHearts wrote in post #15835693 (external link)
Unless you turn the strobe power up, Bobby. Who wants to shoot at F22? :D

That's precisely my point. You can STILL kill ambient with a ND filter, and push the power of your strobe higher to compensate, but you still gotta open up to help that strobe illuminate. :)

So yes, it's a viable option. :)

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

sponsored links

1,927 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advise re outdoor lighting
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.