Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Apr 2013 (Friday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 3 to 4 upgrade advice

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 19, 2013 11:35 |  #1

I have had LR3 for about 6 months. I have not had the time to view all of the tutorials and become fully competent with the software. So far, I like what I have learned, but it is complicated for me. Of course, the more I use it the better I will be at using it.

I received an email from Adobe indicating LR4 is on sale for $99 for a limited time. The question is should I upgrade, while still not being totally familiar/competent with LR3?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links
Daphatty
490 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 19, 2013 11:46 |  #2

I think you'll find that they are quite similar overall. The interface hasn't changed much and the feature sets are minimally improved/modified. IMO, LR4 should have been LR3.7.

That being said, $99 sounds like a lot of money considering you already have LR3. The upgrade price is typically $79. Plus, the LR5 beta was just announced and is free to download. If I had to guess, LR5 will release this summer so you may be better off just waiting until LR5 is officially released before you upgrade.

Canon 5D III | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 40mm f/2.8
Nest NT-6295c Tripod | Bendo IB2 Ballhead

Canajun
Goldmember
2,881 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2013 11:47 |  #3

Hold that thought. They are beta testing LR5.
As for myself I also have LR3 but have not used it as often because I found using Aperture was a little more convenient. But lately I wanted to get back using LR3 again.
After finding out that LR5 is just around the corner. I've decided to wait until they release the final version.

Jun.Roberto.Dizon.Greg​orio
My Photographic Gears.

I Like Shooting Animals Than People.

Rashkh
286 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 19, 2013 11:49 |  #4

The price they gave you is for a full version of light room. The upgrade version that you're eligible for is cheaper.

Faced with the choice, I would probably wait for light room 5.

As for the topic at hand, I doubt you'll ever fully master light room. Its a very big program with some features that are very niche. My advice would be to go to their website and check out the new features. If there's something there you really want the upgrade. If not, wait for light room 5 that's just around the corner.

jbrackjr
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 19, 2013 17:04 |  #5

Thanks to all who replied. Good info and made my decision easy, I think I will wait for LR5 and in the mean time focus on learning a little more about LR3.

Jim
Gear List

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 20, 2013 06:58 |  #6

Just so you are aware...LR3 won't work under Windows 7 and later. Nor will LR4 work on Windows XP and earlier. I found that out the hard way when I upgraded to a Windows 7 computer about a year ago. Then, when I upgraded to a 5D3, I had to upgrade the version of LR4 to be able to read 5D3 RAW files.

Note, too, that the 'upgrade' price for Lightroom is markedly less than 'full retail' All that's needed is the serial number of the old version that must be entered to make the upgrade version install.

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 20, 2013 08:03 |  #7

bratkinson wrote in post #15848105 (external link)
Just so you are aware...LR3 won't work under Windows 7 and later. Nor will LR4 work on Windows XP and earlier. I found that out the hard way when I upgraded to a Windows 7 computer about a year ago. Then, when I upgraded to a 5D3, I had to upgrade the version of LR4 to be able to read 5D3 RAW files.

Note, too, that the 'upgrade' price for Lightroom is markedly less than 'full retail' All that's needed is the serial number of the old version that must be entered to make the upgrade version install.

not true...

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 [OLD VERSION]
by Adobe

Platform: Windows 7 / Vista / XP, Mac OS X

http://www.amazon.com …=8-1&keywords=lightroom+3 (external link)

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

jbrackjr
THREAD ­ STARTER
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 20, 2013 08:37 |  #8

All of my computers (3 towers) have Win7 and LR3 works fine on them. They are all fairly new machines (2 months to 18 months old) that all came with Win7.

Jim
Gear List

WaterVsAnchor
366 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 20, 2013 11:11 |  #9

I've also got LR3 on Windows 7 computers.. You may have had some localized issues bratkinson. LR3 came out AFTER Windows 7, so it's absolutely supported.

---------------
-Sam- | FUJI X-E2 | Fuji 35 1.4 | Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 | Rokinon 12 2

sponsored links

1,107 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 3 to 4 upgrade advice
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.