Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 21 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 10:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

questions about the 430 ex ii

Romax12
189 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 21, 2013 10:23 |  #1

hello guys.

i want to start using flashes and i am considering buying the 430ex ii.
i also want to buy a flash stand and an umbrella, for shooting outdoor portraits.
can i control the 430 with my t3i? or do i need to use something like a pocket wizard? cause those things are really expensive and i dont want to start using transmitters and so.
ive heard that my t3i can control off-camera flash but shoot the built in one before the image is taken - is that right?
for indoors and outdoors for a begginer in flash photography like me, will the ETTL mode be enough?
i was also considering a 135 f2 aswell.
thanks alot

Canon t3i
--- EF-S 18-135 f3.5-5.6 IS --- EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS usm ---
600ex-rt and yn-622c (2x)

sponsored links
inkista
660 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 21, 2013 10:51 |  #2

Romax12 wrote in post #15851311 (external link)
... can i control the 430 with my t3i?

Yes. The pop-up flash on the T3i can be used as a remote flash master. However, the system is light-based, like a tv remote, so the 430EXII's sensor panel has to be able to 'see' the pop-up flash's signaling. Indoors, with lots of bounce surfaces, this can work great. But for outdoor portraits, without bounce surfaces nearby, and in brighter ambient light, which can make the signalling harder to "see", the range, reliability, and line-of-sight requirements get stricter, which is why radio triggers are so popular.

.... or do i need to use something like a pocket wizard? cause those things are really expensive and i dont want to start using transmitters and so.

You don't have to use radio triggers, but for outdoor work, you're liable to want them a lot more. Not all radio triggers are as expensive as PocketWizards, however. If you require professional-level reliability, PWs are the gold standard, but if you're just a hobbyist shooter that can afford to miss a shot now and then, you could go with much cheaper alternatives like triggers from Cactus, Yongnuo, Pixel, or Phottix. Some of them even communicate eTTL.

ive heard that my t3i can control off-camera flash but shoot the built in one before the image is taken - is that right?

Yes. The pop-up flash has to blink out the settings for the remote flash, as well as to communicate the "fire" sync signal.

for indoors and outdoors for a begginer in flash photography like me, will the ETTL mode be enough?

Indoors yes. Outdoors, possibly not.

i was also considering a 135 f2 aswell. ...

Great lens. Love it. One of my most used. But a flash will probably get you more bang for the buck, especially if you go off-camera with it.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,627 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 21, 2013 11:11 |  #3

The T3i has a very nice system which will work well indoors even without direct line of sight (utilizing reflected light as mentioned above).

Watch these two videos to learn how to use it for Off Camera Flash (OCF), controlling the flash from the camera (you set the flash to E-TTL and do not touch it again until you turn it off). You can then control the flash from the camera, either as E-TTL or Manual.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=5byuHJ9uBns (external link)

For multiple flashes

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hk7IRg1ApGE (external link)

Here is an outdoor shot I was experimenting in outdoor OCF at 1930 in a summer day

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i37.photobucket​.com …M/Canon/IMG_574​8setup.jpg (external link)

Result

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i37.photobucket​.com …anon/IMG_5746DP​Pg1024.jpg (external link)

Under these lighting conditions I have not missed a shot. I can't vouch for bright sunlight...

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sporadic
580 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 21, 2013 11:21 |  #4

It's an optical wireless system and can be pretty shoddy when used outdoors (my experience with the 430EX and 7D). I'd check the YN-622 thread if you're wanting a much cheaper radio trigger option which supports E-TTL. They can be had for ~$80 a pair shipped ebay. If you're wanting to shoot manual flash, there are even cheaper trigger options available.

Speaking of umbrellas and stands, I just picked up my first set this week after researching the forums. Here's what I grabbed and what I thought:

Ravelli ALS 10' Air Cushioned Light Stand w/ bag (external link) - ~$25
The stand was recommended in another thread on this forum. Very pleased with the quality for the price. Much beefier than what I expected.

43" White Satin Umbrellas with removable black cover (external link) - ~$18
You can find cheaper Umbrellas options, but I wanted to take advantage of my Amazon Prime trial and free two day shipping.

Flash Shoe Holder Type B (external link) - ~$7
This is the one item where you get what you pay for.. It works, but I wouldn't trust it to hold outdoors with the slightest bit of wind hitting the umbrella. Just too flimsy for my taste. If there are recommendations for a good holder that's not going to set me back $35 I'd love to hear it!

If you're really wanting to save your pennies and plan on using it only with the stand and umbrella, I wouldn't even worry about E-TTL and grab a manual flash... The Yongnuo YN-560 seems to be a very popular manual flash alternative. Even cheaper is the Neewer TT560 (external link) $42. I just picked up two of these. The power switch is a little shoddy on one of them, but still excellent value. All said and done going on a budget manual route you could have a remote manual flash setup for less than the cost of a 430EX II.

Here's one of my first shots from last night after setting it up to test everything out. Really just getting started with off camera flash. She was in the middle of eating chocolate and wanted to pose :)
EF-S 17-55 Lens at 55mm
1/250 / f4.5 / ISO 320
430EX on 1/4 manual shot through the umbrella

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8391/8669097930_50d0d5a4ea_c.jpg

Edit: Yeah, what they said! I took way too long to post :)

Fuji X-T1 | X-T2 | X-T3 | 35/1.4 | 10-24 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 50-140 | Rokinon 8/2.8II Fisheye | Rokinon 12/2
Fringer EF-FX Pro
7D | 300/4 L IS

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 21, 2013 12:38 |  #5

Romax12 wrote in post #15851311 (external link)
hello guys.

i want to start using flashes and i am considering buying the 430ex ii.
i also want to buy a flash stand and an umbrella, for shooting outdoor portraits.
can i control the 430 with my t3i? or do i need to use something like a pocket wizard? cause those things are really expensive and i dont want to start using transmitters and so.
i was also considering a 135 f2 aswell.
thanks alot

For radio triggers get a pair of these

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=NTUuFGTHskY (external link)

they are cheap and meet your needs

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

JDeluis
126 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Apr 21, 2013 14:04 |  #6

sporadic wrote in post #15851450 (external link)
Flash Shoe Holder Type B (external link) - ~$7
This is the one item where you get what you pay for.. It works, but I wouldn't trust it to hold outdoors with the slightest bit of wind hitting the umbrella. Just too flimsy for my taste. If there are recommendations for a good holder that's not going to set me back $35 I'd love to hear it!

Impact Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Shoe  (external link)
$25

I've just recently purchased my setup as well. A little bit more expensive, but compact.

Monfrotto Compact Light Stand (external link)
$76 (was about $55 a month ago)

Westcott 43" White Umbrella, Collapsible (external link)
$30

Flickr Photostream (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 21, 2013 14:46 |  #7

I started with a 430EXII... great flash! I'm finally upgrading now and actually selling mine (see link at the bottom of my signature for details).

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

sponsored links

1,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
questions about the 430 ex ii
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.