Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Apr 2013 (Monday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,811 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 23, 2013 06:02 |  #16

Ilovetheleafs wrote in post #15857214 (external link)
well if there are issues you can always get the dock which will allow you to correct it. So it isn't that big a deal. If you have the cash and need a lens of this FL go and get it!

I've read a little about the dock....what does this do exactly? Isn't MFA body specific? My understanding is that the dock was to allow for firmware updates and compatibility with canon bodies released in the future.

sportmode wrote in post #15857216 (external link)
I was so pumped to check out this lens at the Sigma booth (w/their 5DII) at WPPI, but I don't know if it was the lighting (typical expo lighting) or not, but I couldn't get consistent AF with half my shots. Perhaps a bad copy, but being that it was the Sigma booth, I would've thought they'd check out everything before the show, especially knowing folks like me would be demoing their lens.

Contrast that to the Tamron booth where I tried their 24-70 VC, and it was dead on every time.

I've owned a few Tamron and Sigma lenses (Tamron 17-55 non-vc, and the vc version), and the sigma 50 1.4. Never had an issue with AF on the Tamrons (other than the non-vc version being crazy loud) and the optics were great. 50 1.4 was a miss for me though. Did not want to jump through hoops to get a good copy and ended up returning it 3 weeks in. Was hoping sigma got the AF figured out in the 35 1.4.

I'll probably give the sigma 35 1.4 a shot, but will return it outright if I have AF issues with my first copy.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2013 06:11 |  #17

mystik610 wrote in post #15857708 (external link)
I've read a little about the dock....what does this do exactly? Isn't MFA body specific? My understanding is that the dock was to allow for firmware updates and compatibility with canon bodies released in the future.

The dock allows you to adjust MA for the lens for up to 6 different distances, something which in-camera MA can't do, as well as tailor the lens for AF accuracy vs speed.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,811 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 23, 2013 07:00 |  #18

Sirrith wrote in post #15857720 (external link)
The dock allows you to adjust MA for the lens for up to 6 different distances, something which in-camera MA can't do, as well as tailor the lens for AF accuracy vs speed.

Interesting. Does it interact with the body at all?

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2013 07:48 |  #19

I don't think so. You mount the lens onto the dock and connect it to your PC. No connection to the camera.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

RobTs
71 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Apr 23, 2013 08:36 |  #20

The finest lens I've ever used. Extremely fast, accurate, and sharp. Something I don't hear people say often is that this lens is amazing at dealing with highlights. In the exact same conditions between this lens and the 50L, shots from the S35 always retain more detail in the sky and skin tones.

Facebook (external link)

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2013 09:27 |  #21

I think more folks purchasing the 35mm are quite a bit more forgiving because they have Canon full-frame bodies with MFA control, and the results are "holy crap" sharp. With the 30mm, there were quite a number of complaints because it's a crop lens, and the majority of cropped bodies don't have MFA, and the only option was to send the lens to Sigma for repair. With the 35mm, +/-5, and good to go.

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

GuitarDTO
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 23, 2013 11:22 |  #22

Buy from a good vendor with good return policy (Amazon) and you won't be out any money if you get a bad copy. I had to send my first back, but my 2nd is good. The positives FAR outweigh the potential AF issues in my opinion. Such great real world performance with this lens.

Gear: 5D3, 135L, Sigma 35, 50 1.8 STM, 16-35 F/4L IS, 85/1.8, Fujifilm X100T
Flickr: DavioTheOne (external link)

kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Apr 23, 2013 12:23 |  #23

I'm also hoping someone can review the dock but speed will always remain I'm thinking and will be slower. I'm leaning to the Sig then the Canon L since the current version is 10 years in the making. I'm sure Canon has a version 2 in the works.
What about durability, will the part get worn faster then a canon lens? I read someones focus ring started to get scratchiness or something like that.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 23, 2013 21:29 as a reply to  @ kipliq's post |  #24

Here's the dock in action - http://vimeo.com/64678​241# (external link)

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

Fthagvrnmt
119 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 24, 2013 01:30 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Just wanted to throw in that i received mine today, & i am very pleased. Was so happy i sprung for this.

This is literally the second shot i took with this lens at 1.4, Iso-100, shutter was 1/750.
was too excited to put in settings for the scene, like i said this was just a trigger happy first-second shot of the lens right after getting it in the mail.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

AE-1 Program- 50mm
7D. 10-22mm - 28mm-2.8 -
35 1.4 - 70-300 4.5 -Helios 44 2.
Manfrotto.tripod

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,322 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 24, 2013 01:35 |  #26

Sirrith wrote in post #15857720 (external link)

I guess I'm also a bit confused about whether the dock will be a comprehensive fix. From what I have read, at least one of the problems seems to be the fact that different MFA values appear to be needed for bright outdoor vs. low or mixed indoor lighting. I don't know if (or how) the dock can address this issue. I am very interested in this lens (and the Canon 35L), but inconsistent focus is something that is worrying me and I am not sure the dock will be the comprehensive solution that perhaps some people are suggesting it is.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 24, 2013 01:38 |  #27

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15861085 (external link)
I guess I'm also a bit confused about whether the dock will be a comprehensive fix. From what I have read, at least one of the problems seems to be the fact that different MFA values appear to be needed for bright outdoor vs. low or mixed indoor lighting. I don't know if (or how) the dock can address this issue. I am very interested in this lens (and the Canon 35L), but inconsistent focus is something that is worrying me and I am not sure the dock will be the comprehensive solution that perhaps some people are suggesting it is.

Very few people seem to have the focus issue in different light. More common is different MA values for different distances, although that is also far from actually being common; just moreso than the lighting issue.
I believe I read somewhere that someone had his lens with the lighting issue fixed by a firmware update, which if I am remembering correctly, would mean the dock could easily fix that issue with a firmware update on the user end.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,322 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Apr 24, 2013 02:21 |  #28

I hope you are right, Tom! When is the dock available anyway? I guess I'll sit back and see if the early adopters meet with success before I take the plunge.. :)

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

NoFitState
98 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 24, 2013 02:38 |  #29

dock is available start of may

5D3 || Canon 135L || Sigma 35 1.4 || Sigma 50mm 1.4 || 600ex-rt || Benro C2682TB1 Tripod || Lowepro Flipside 300 || Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 24, 2013 03:04 |  #30

Scrumhalf wrote in post #15861151 (external link)
I guess I'll sit back and see if the early adopters meet with success before I take the plunge.. :)

No harm in doing that :)

I plan on buying the dock simply "in case" because it is so cheap even though my lens is perfectly fine. Plus it might be fun to twiddle around with the AF speed.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

12,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.