Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Apr 2013 (Monday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

May 08, 2013 13:12 |  #61

BigCarbs wrote in post #15911146 (external link)
Yeah I test drive a car but I don't put it on a dyno to see if it is getting the specified horsepower rating before I buy it.

Ok...but if you bought a car from a company that has a history of producing lemons, would you want assurances before you bought a car from them (if you bought from them at all)?

If You bought a used car, would you want maintenance records and/or a chance to take it to the mechanic before you paid money for it?

Would you buy a house without having it inspected?

If you're trying to convince me that its wrong to do my due diligence on something I spent money on, from a company that has a known history of poor quality control, you're not going to.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

sponsored links
BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 09, 2013 01:44 |  #62

Im not saying your wrong. Im saying to use it in the real world and relax a bit lol. Its like if you keep going to the doctor thinking you have cancer then one day you will get it. Same with the lens, after many many "test" shots you can find flaws.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2013 08:08 |  #63

BigCarbs wrote in post #15913469 (external link)
Im not saying your wrong. Im saying to use it in the real world and relax a bit lol. Its like if you keep going to the doctor thinking you have cancer then one day you will get it. Same with the lens, after many many "test" shots you can find flaws.

You're acting like I haven't shot with this thing outside of testing it yet, which isn't the case (ie, see the shots I posted prior to testing it). I merely tested it to make sure I had a working copy before I commited to keeping it. That said, I won't have a chance to seriously put it through its paces until this weekend, but its a hired shoot, and I'd hate to botch shots I'm taking for someone else because it's missing focus.

The interesting thing about testing the lens through FoCal is that it couldn't find a fault in it at all, even when actively seeking one out. Tested with incandescent lighting, window lighting, outdoors, the Sigma 35 never missed a beat.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 09, 2013 08:20 |  #64

Then you should probably keep the lens.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2013 10:17 |  #65

BigCarbs wrote in post #15914021 (external link)
Then you should probably keep the lens.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …0/Capture_zps87​493df6.jpg (external link)
[/URL]

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 09, 2013 10:58 |  #66

But be sure to do more testing, check it under LED lighting because that will be the main source of indoor lighting in the future.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2013 12:49 |  #67

BigCarbs wrote in post #15914538 (external link)
But be sure to do more testing, check it under LED lighting because that will be the main source of indoor lighting in the future.

Lol whatever man. Like I said earlier, I’m not going to feel bad about testing out a $900 lens, from a company that has historically produced a high rate of lemons

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,699 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 09, 2013 19:23 |  #68

I'm considering the sigma 35 also. My canon 85 1.8 has focus shift in different lighting so I don't consider that a downfall, it just is what it is.

Shane
flickr (external link)

BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 10, 2013 00:23 |  #69

mystik610 wrote in post #15914974 (external link)
Lol whatever man. Like I said earlier, I’m not going to feel bad about testing out a $900 lens, from a company that has historically produced a high rate of lemons

I don't want you to feel bad, I want you to enjoy your lens

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 10, 2013 07:27 |  #70

BigCarbs wrote in post #15917041 (external link)
I don't want you to feel bad, I want you to enjoy your lens

:rolleyes:

Who say's I'm not?

JakAHearts wrote in post #15916206 (external link)
I'm considering the sigma 35 also. My canon 85 1.8 has focus shift in different lighting so I don't consider that a downfall, it just is what it is.

The 50L has a well known focus shift 'issue'. It can be frustrating to miss a shot b/c the focus, but I agree its not necessarily a deal killer, so long as it doesn't happen too frequently. The 50L is a great in a lot of other ways that warrants me keeping it around.

The Sigma 50 1.4 I had was another story. It was missing focus frequently for no apparent reason at all.

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2013 07:59 |  #71

mystik610 wrote in post #15856524 (external link)
Been following this since its been announced, but have been apprehensive to bite the bullet due to Sigma's reputation with QC. IQ looks impressive, but has anyone experienced any focusing issues and had to go through multiple copies to get a 'keeper'? Anyone need to MFA the lens? If so, by how much?

@BigCarbs: in the context of this topic, which mystik610 started himself, it's obvious that he has some skepticism - shared by many and based on past experiences with earlier Sigma products.
Some of us don't want to take the risk of wasting client's time and potentially ruining photographic opportunities.
You make the analogy with putting a car on a dyno, and that's exactly the equivalent of what lens reviewers do. Especially if you have the choice between multiple products in a similar price range.

If people plan to use this lens as a workhorse product, it's perfectly reasonable (and in fact smart) to ensure yourself that it's working up to spec. Your tone throughout this topic has been generally negative and proceeded to go to downright condescending:

BigCarbs wrote in post #15909292 (external link)
So did you take any real pics with the lens or just using it to shoot calibration targets?

BigCarbs wrote in post #15910449 (external link)
I isn't do any testing with mine when I got it and took it to a wedding, everything came out great. I think if I take a bunch of pics of calibration targets I could find flaws

BigCarbs wrote in post #15911146 (external link)
Yeah I test drive a car but I don't put it on a dyno to see if it is getting the specified horsepower rating before I buy it.

BigCarbs wrote in post #15913469 (external link)

BigCarbs wrote in post #15914538 (external link)

In my opinion you're wrong to blindly trust a lens from a manufacturer that has had so many bad QC for any commercial work.
I for one value all user tests and experiences such as mystik610 posted, so if you have a problem with that, it's best to just skip this topic.

Certainly beats discouraging and talking down to people who take time out of their day to share results and inform their peers.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 10, 2013 14:12 |  #72

mystik610 wrote in post #15917591 (external link)
:rolleyes:

Who say's I'm not?

Who says you are?:confused:

BigCarbs
156 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 10, 2013 14:12 |  #73

TweakMDS wrote in post #15917662 (external link)
@BigCarbs: in the context of this topic, which mystik610 started himself, it's obvious that he has some skepticism - shared by many and based on past experiences with earlier Sigma products.
Some of us don't want to take the risk of wasting client's time and potentially ruining photographic opportunities.
You make the analogy with putting a car on a dyno, and that's exactly the equivalent of what lens reviewers do. Especially if you have the choice between multiple products in a similar price range.

If people plan to use this lens as a workhorse product, it's perfectly reasonable (and in fact smart) to ensure yourself that it's working up to spec. Your tone throughout this topic has been generally negative and proceeded to go to downright condescending:

In my opinion you're wrong to blindly trust a lens from a manufacturer that has had so many bad QC for any commercial work.
I for one value all user tests and experiences such as mystik610 posted, so if you have a problem with that, it's best to just skip this topic.

Certainly beats discouraging and talking down to people who take time out of their day to share results and inform their peers.

What does this mean?

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 10, 2013 21:50 |  #74

BigCarbs wrote in post #15918822 (external link)
What does this mean?

What part about what he said don't you get? Seems pretty straight forward

BigCarbs wrote in post #15918818 (external link)
Who says you are?:confused:

Lol ok you're officially sounding like a four year old. Time to bow out of this one.

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,030 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 10, 2013 23:07 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #75

TweakMDS wrote in post #15917662 (external link)

Glad someone appreciated it. My intention in posting the test results really was to offer some insight to those who might be apprehensive towards the lens, as I was.

α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII

sponsored links

12,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.