Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Apr 2013 (Monday) 19:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 13, 2013 18:12 |  #91

kipliq wrote in post #15927762 (external link)
As a long term use, could the sigma start to fail more as it gets older? Will this happen with canon lenses?

Of course. The longer you use something, the greater the chance of the mechanical components failing.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

sponsored links
kipliq
752 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 13, 2013 18:46 |  #92

Sirrith wrote in post #15928780 (external link)
Of course. The longer you use something, the greater the chance of the mechanical components failing.

What about the differences between Canon and Sigma, never owned a lens outside of Canon. If Sigma has a higher reputation of parts failing after a few years , rather go with Canon.

"Space Mountain may be the oldest ride in the park, but it has the longest line." - Ric Flair

raptor117
362 posts
Joined May 2010

May 13, 2013 21:49 |  #93

Canon 35L is legendary for built quality, but I gave a go on Sigma, wide open sharpness is more important to me now. I don't have to wait 15 years to buy this lens to assure me regarding built quality like 1998 35L, lol :)

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L | Sigma 12-24ii | Canon 24-70 f/4L IS | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC | Canon 70-300L | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Canon 85 1.8 | Canon 85 1.2Lii | Canon 135L
Canon 7D | Sigma 50-150 OS

Pit
289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 14, 2013 12:36 |  #94

The sigma 35 is build like a tank, feels very solid, I love it. I expect everything i buy to lose value, it's just the way it goes. I also don't see myself replacing this piece of glass in years to come.

Canon EOS 6D, Canon 24-70mm 2.8 Mk I, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS MK II, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, 600EX-RT, 430EX II, 430EX, Transceivers, Bags, Tripods, Cables, Trigger Trap.

mystik610
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

May 14, 2013 14:19 |  #95

kipliq wrote in post #15928882 (external link)
What about the differences between Canon and Sigma, never owned a lens outside of Canon. If Sigma has a higher reputation of parts failing after a few years , rather go with Canon.

Too early to tell really. The Sigma 35 feels pretty solid, and gives the impression of a lens that is built to last. It's very well built....but does not feel as robust as my 50L, and 85L. I only used the 35L as a rental, but i'd say the Sigma is pretty close in terms of built quality.

Whether this translates into long-term mechanical reliability remains to be seen. I'd imagine the Canon L lenses would be more reliable in the long-run....part of the reason they retain so much of their value in the used market. If reilability (and resale value) is your priority, definitely go with the Canon. The sigma has a leg up in terms of sharpness though.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

dr1ft
284 posts
Joined May 2008

May 18, 2013 19:48 |  #96

I took my Sigma 35 out one day and had a bunch of focus issues, since I had earlier calibrated the lens at +4 MFA under fluorescent lighting. Outdoors, I really couldn't figure out what the MFA should be since I didn't have a focus chart.

I then realized that the lens also has issues at different focus lengths. If I calibrate at around 1 foot, I have issues at 10ft and beyond.

Or, it could be me. Shooting at f/1.4 is tough, no matter what lens. I have 10 more days to figure out if I will keep the lens or return it to Amazon.

-Vik
http://www.sejvik.com (external link)

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 18, 2013 22:48 |  #97

dr1ft wrote in post #15945086 (external link)
Or, it could be me. Shooting at f/1.4 is tough, no matter what lens. I have 10 more days to figure out if I will keep the lens or return it to Amazon.

I would return it for another one, otherwise you'll be sending back the lens to Sigma on your own dime.

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

sponsored links

12,551 views & 0 likes for this thread
Long term thoughts on the new Sigma 35 1.4?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.