Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 24 Apr 2013 (Wednesday) 03:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightweight tripod/monopod for 300/f4 IS

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 24, 2013 03:32 |  #1

Looking for a lightweight tripod or monopod that will carry the 300/f4 IS +1.4 TC with ease. I realise that the lens weights nothing but I won't always be handholding.

Any suggestions? Budget around $200.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,271 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 24, 2013 19:36 |  #2

I used a Manfrotto 681B which is fairly light weight, fairly inexpensive and very solid. However, it doesn't collapse small enough to fit into the suitcase I check aboard when flying and attempting to carry a monopod on a flight is chancy. Sometimes you can and sometimes not - they can call it a "weapon-like implement".

I now shoot with a Calumet carbon fiber 4-section monopod which is great with the 300mm f/4L IS lens.

IMAGE: http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/Other/San-Diego-Polo-Club-Del-Mar/i-tQZcDm4/0/L/Polo%20Match%20Del%20Mar_1709_edited-1-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com …661018&k=tQZcDm​4&lb=1&s=A  (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 26, 2013 17:21 |  #3

I use the 300 F4 IS and find it excellent but I would suggest you spend a bit more to get the best from it. As RPCrowe says the Manfrotto mono pod would be fine, though a little heavy and a bit long when collapsed. I use a Gitzo GM 2541 which weighs almost nothing (I often leave it on when shooting hand held) and folds up pretty short - but would blow your budget on the mono pod alone!
Don't be fooled by the GM 2541's light weigh I use mine, quite happily, with a Canon 800mm F5.6 IS and used to use it with a Canon 600 F4 IS. If you can afford it - I thoroughly recommend it.
My tripod of choice for the 300 F4/F2.8 is the Gitzo GT 2531 but they are silly money these days!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 26, 2013 23:05 |  #4

I use a manfrotto that is no longer made but this http://www.manfrotto.u​s …on-aluminum-black-monopod (external link) is a suitable sub. put a small head on or not, up to you.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

MajesticMomentsPhoto
875 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 27, 2013 00:03 |  #5

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Carbon_8X_CM_S​eries.html (external link)

less than 100.00 holds 18lbs, carbon fiber, strong, and lightweight.

It folds to less than 19 inches.

excellent warranty as well..

:cool:Lots of Bodies & Glass....:cool:

JohanBorjesson
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 27, 2013 08:15 |  #6

MajesticMomentsPhoto wrote in post #15871700 (external link)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Carbon_8X_CM_S​eries.html (external link)

less than 100.00 holds 18lbs, carbon fiber, strong, and lightweight.

It folds to less than 19 inches.

excellent warranty as well..

Haha, funny that you link that one. I was looking at it yesterday and I am deciding on it because I like the screw type instead of clamps. Thanks!

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,271 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 27, 2013 11:55 as a reply to  @ JohanBorjesson's post |  #7

I would also look at the Induro CM-24 which is a heavier duty pod but, only weighs a bit more. CM14 = .7 lb and CM24 = .9 lb.

The CM-24 is a bit more expensive $122 USD vs. $96 USD....

I believe that Calumet has replaced their own brand monopod with either the CM14 or CM24, They carry both of these pods.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

pfjbaldwin
328 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Apr 27, 2013 13:00 |  #8

Use a Gitzo GM3860C for shooting sporting events and love it. Very short and travels well

pfjohnsonphotography.c​om, pfjphoto.com, Baldwin, MD
CPS

DJHess
30 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 28, 2013 23:01 |  #9

I bought a Sirui 326. Pretty happy with it. I could afford to pair it with RRS MH-01-40LR / B2-40 LR.

D.Hess
7D | 10-22 | 70-200 f2.8L | Sigma 50 f1.4 | 28-135 kit | 430 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Gitzo 3532LS/RRS BH-55/B2AS II | Sirui 326/RRS MH-01/B2-40LR | next to buy...24-70 f2.8

JohanBorjesson
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Apr 28, 2013 23:06 |  #10

DJHess wrote in post #15877549 (external link)
I bought a Sirui 326. Pretty happy with it. I could afford to pair it with RRS MH-01-40LR / B2-40 LR.

Nah I don't want a head on a monopod, would feel really weird and I seriously don't see a need to use one.

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 29, 2013 17:47 |  #11

JohanBorjesson wrote in post #15877564 (external link)
Nah I don't want a head on a monopod, would feel really weird and I seriously don't see a need to use one.

In addition to my Gitzo GM2541 I also have a Sirui P424 - I didn't recommend it because it is overkill for your lens and the Gitzo is so much lighter.
As to a head on a Mono Pod, I find they can work quite well. I have the Sirui L10 (a cheap version of the RRS) this is nowhere near as good as the RRS but is quite happy with both my 300 F2.8 L IS and 300 F4 L IS.
I am not saying to buy one but, if you get the opportunity, I would suggest you try one out.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

jbrackjr
483 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 29, 2013 23:17 |  #12

I have the Sirui P424 as well and agree it is quite robust. However, I bought it because it is a tall pod. Being hunched over a short monopod for several hours can lead to a bad case of erectile dysfunction. :lol: I also recommend the Sirui L10, works great for me and no complaints.

Regardless of brand, get one that is tall enough for your use.

Jim
Gear List

afoton
348 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Apr 30, 2013 03:28 |  #13

A too short monopod is a pain. A head on the monopod is a matter of taste, and how each one is using the pod. I like to set the pod little in front of me, tilting it agaist myself. To do this I have to use a head.

I got a Sirui L10 with my monopod. That is both sturdy and smooth in operation. So I can recommend it. But the clamp is just one way, so it doesn't work with right/left orientated camera plate. Actually I prefer a ball head myself.

sponsored links

2,910 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightweight tripod/monopod for 300/f4 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.