Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Info on Washington DC, please

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 01, 2013 07:45 |  #16

ConCon wrote in post #15885457 (external link)
Yes, the reflecting pool is finished, and looks great.

The reflecting pool is done, but the WWII memorial is still not finished (or at least it wasn't as of 2 weeks ago).

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links
Foolish
691 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 01, 2013 14:33 |  #17

mathogre wrote in post #15876069 (external link)
DC is broken into four quadrants: NW (northwest), NE, SW, and SE. Generally speaking, NW is the safest of all. I would advise staying away from most areas in the other three.

Umm, I would respectfully disagree with this last bit. SE contains Eastern Market, which is cultural, colorful, and delicious... and totally, totally safe. NE contains H Street, which is great for street photography, and has some good bars. SW is a bit of a dud in terms of things to see or do (unless you want to go to the Marina and eat crabs out of a paper bag on the dock).

ConCon wrote in post #15885457 (external link)
Yes, the reflecting pool is finished, and looks great.

The Reflecting Pool is finished, but the scaffolding is all the way up the Washington Monument now -- bummer.

Yeah, DC is great. Rock Creek Park is great too if you get tired of the city and want to explore some green space. It's huge, and you can bike on some of the main roads on the weekend as they're closed to cars. If you have time to come down to Old Town Alexandria (my hood - the King Street Metro stop), it's very quaint and historic and we have lots of delicious restaurants. It's good for antiquing / window shopping / people-watching / hanging out by the river, too.

I just posted a photo set from U Street on my Tumblr (link below), which is also a great place for street photography / street art / colorful buildings and houses. Though DC is surprisingly full of color and quite beautiful in many places. Here's a photo of me taken by a friend on the steps of a townhouse on Vermont Ave NW: http://chrisozer.tumbl​r.com …-washington-dc-april-2013 (external link)

Enjoy your trip! :)

I'm on the web here (external link).

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 01, 2013 14:45 |  #18

edge100 wrote in post #15886116 (external link)
The reflecting pool is done, but the WWII memorial is still not finished (or at least it wasn't as of 2 weeks ago).

That's great. It was empty when we were there and I was miffed I can tell you. One of the biggest hurdles you'll probably face is the crowds of people at all of the better monuments, you'll just have to be patient to get the right shot. There was heaps of crowds of school kids running amock when we were there. Jump on the train and go to Arlington, it is a very sobering place that cannot be missed.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5145/5614178835_92a2b27980_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/53004189@N05/5​614178835/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5309/5614178885_99dab8ae02_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/53004189@N05/5​614178885/  (external link)

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5306/5614179011_e2efa86464_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/53004189@N05/5​614179011/  (external link)

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 01, 2013 18:08 |  #19

Smitty2k1 wrote in post #15884906 (external link)
I live just outside DC - don't be scared except for the far east/southeast you have nothing to worry about. Most anywhere is photo friendly - tripods are a different matter.

In addition to the usual museums and monuments check out places like Logan Circle or Dupont Circle. Little cultural centers with some nice unique buildings. If you're into street photography Eastern Market does a cool outdoor market on the weekends. Also, Shenandoah National Park is a fairly short drive from DC as is Great Falls State Park on the Potomac River.

Other things:
- Waterfront/Navy Yard area in the SW
- Scaffolding on the Washington Monument should be all the way at the top by the time you are here. While the monument won't be as beautiful, it will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for some unique views
- Embassys! They are all over the place and some have VERY cool architecture
- The hill between Columbia Heights and U-St on 13th has a great overlook of the city. The high school that is there is currently under construction and blocks the view, but if you're a bit adventurous it would be rewarding...

EDIT: Check out this thread from the local reddit section lots of great sounding things that I have yet to see!
http://www.reddit.com …avorite_hidden_​gem_of_dc/ (external link)

all good recommendations

I'll add the Air and space museum on the mall and the FBI building tour on Pennsylvania Ave.

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 01, 2013 19:25 |  #20

You'll see a gazillion cameras everywhere. The place where everyone goes is called The Mall. It's a long, grassy field about the length of twenty football fields with museums on both sides, along with other various buildings. Within a city block of the mall is pretty much everything DC has to offer. You could easily spend a week right there. It's very festive and safe. I took my 11-year-old daughter there last year, just the two of us, and spent three days shooting thousands of pictures.

I highly recommend you figure out a bicycling situation. It will save your feet and it will save you time. They have a bike share program for just a few dollars a day and it's worth it. The pedicabs are expensive, as are taxis and such. But if you have a bike you can get anywhere in a couple minutes. Very convenient, even if you have to purchase some folding bikes in SA and bring them with you. You won't regret having a bike. And it's pretty flat.

Don't worry about crime. Only at night and in some bad areas do you have to worry. I'd recommend you stay as close to the Mall as possible. We stay at the Pierre le Enfant Plaza Hotel. It's about 100 meters from the Mall and all the monuments.

This is one of our Nelson Mandelas: Abraham Lincoln.

IMAGE: http://thefairbanksfamily.smugmug.com/Travel/Washington-DC/i-C43XHHJ/0/XL/Abraham%20Lincoln-XL.jpg

Thank you. bw!

2DBs
140 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 01, 2013 19:52 |  #21

The Library of Congress is fascinating and a great stop for photos as is the US Botanic Garden on the Capitol grounds is very nice. For planes the Udvar-Hazy museum out at Dulles is amazing - better than that in the main Air & Space building on the mall (IMHO). I second the vote for getting out to the memorials at night. It's a totally different experience than during the day.

Brian
5D Mark III | 24-105 F4L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 35 1.4 | 100 2.8 | 580EX II | 430EX

w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 01, 2013 19:59 |  #22

2DBs wrote in post #15888467 (external link)
The Library of Congress is fascinating and a great stop for photos as is the US Botanic Garden on the Capitol grounds is very nice. For planes the Udvar-Hazy museum out at Dulles is amazing - better than that in the main Air & Space building on the mall (IMHO). I second the vote for getting out to the memorials at night. It's a totally different experience than during the day.

The Korean War memorial is one you need to see in late afternoon and again in the evening. Daylight will let you really see the laser engravings on the marble and at night it is almost eerie with the lighting among the life-sized figures of a squad moving up a rise...at least it was for me as former military.

NebrGuy
303 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 01, 2013 20:02 |  #23

w9trb wrote in post #15888488 (external link)
The Korean War memorial is one you need to see in late afternoon and again in the evening. Daylight will let you really see the laser engravings on the marble and at night it is almost eerie with the lighting among the life-sized figures of a squad moving up a rise...at least it was for me as former military.

I couldn't agree more and I'm not former military. I think it is an extremely moving memorial at night.

Flickr (external link) | Gear | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)
- Graflex Speed Graphic w/ Zeiss 15cm, Kodak 100mm & Schneider 210mm
- Argus C3 w/ Argus 35mm, Argus 50mm, and Argus 100mm
- Yashica TL Electro X w/ Accura Diametrica 28mm, Yashinon 50mm, and Pentax Asahi 135mm
- Canon EOS Rebel G II w/EOS mounting lenses used in digital work

Headbone
THREAD ­ STARTER
86 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 03, 2013 18:47 |  #24

Thanks again for all the info!
Cannot wait to get to DC, only 7 days to go. We land at Dulles at around 6-30am on the 11th.

I really appreciate the comments and, obviously, the shots. I have actually printed out this thread and will keep it as a reference in my camera bag.

1D Mk III - 7D - EF 50mm f1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF 70-200 f/4 L IS - EF 24-105 f4 L

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 03, 2013 19:02 |  #25

Headbone wrote in post #15895256 (external link)
Thanks again for all the info!
Cannot wait to get to DC, only 7 days to go. We land at Dulles at around 6-30am on the 11th.

I really appreciate the comments and, obviously, the shots. I have actually printed out this thread and will keep it as a reference in my camera bag.

Fill us all in on how it went when you get back. Enjoy!

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 08, 2013 11:14 |  #26

So much to shoot and so much to see. The best is keep your camera ready from wherever you park 'cause each time it's a different view. I noticed that like 3 times I went and parked in different places.

http://www.lastshotpho​tography.com/dc (external link)

Just realized that I haven't posted as much as I have but yeah, there's a glimpse.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

WayneHawn
260 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 13, 2013 08:55 |  #27

I am excited because I am leaving to DC tomorrow morning. Did you take your 70-200 and, if not, did you wish you had? Also, how many places are backpacks not allowed? I was planning to take the 70-200 and the pack and a tripod, but now I am thinking just the 10-22 and 17-55, a shoulder bag and no tripod.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

edit: What about a flash?

Wayne
5d3; 24-70 2.8 Mkii; 70-200 2.8 IS Mkii

w9trb
149 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 13, 2013 09:17 |  #28

Only searched my bag twice in my time there and I carried it everywhere. I think a flash would be a better item to have than a tripod. There are just too many people going every which-way for a tripod to be anything but a trip hazard.

WayneHawn
260 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 13, 2013 11:07 |  #29

w9trb wrote in post #16027119 (external link)
Only searched my bag twice in my time there and I carried it everywhere. I think a flash would be a better item to have than a tripod. There are just too many people going every which-way for a tripod to be anything but a trip hazard.

Thanks. I think I am tending to agree. I am considering taking the tripod and leaving it in the hotel room for everything but maybe a couple of dusk/night trips to the mall to try to get some drama shots of the monuments.

Wayne
5d3; 24-70 2.8 Mkii; 70-200 2.8 IS Mkii

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 13, 2013 11:57 |  #30

Oldschool1948 wrote in post #15884585 (external link)
There are a lot of excellent suggestions in this thread. If you have enough time, you might also visit Baltimore Harbor for a day. Baltimore is about 45 minutes from DC. It has some very nice places to eat, an aquarium with dolphin show, and several other attractions. There are water taxis to visit other nice spots, paddle boats, and during the summer there is usually some artist performing during the day. The USS Constellation is docked there as well as a submarine. There's a lot to see and do. Visit during the day, leave in the evening. I included a couple pics of Baltimore Harbor.

In DC, also visit the Spy museum - its pretty neat. Consider taking a boat tour. It will give you an opportunity to see the city and sights from a slightly different perspective. You can also take a nice dinner cruise. National Harbor is also a nice place to see, with some excellent restaurants and shopping. I live about 15 minutes from National Harbor.

I've lived in DC for about 25 years and have traveled all over the world. So, when it comes to crime, DC is like any other large city. There are places where you do not want to be after dark, but for the most part, DC is a safe place to visit. Mathogre's summation, "DC is broken into four quadrants: NW (northwest), NE, SW, and SE. Generally speaking, NW is the safest of all. I would advise staying away from most areas in the other three" is fairly accurate, but I would say stay on the West side (NW or SW) of town.

Have a wonderful visit. DC is an awesome city.

um. the pics in this post are of Baltimore.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links

4,381 views & 0 likes for this thread
Info on Washington DC, please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.