Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

General all around kit.

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 28, 2013 18:30 |  #1

I had to get rid of my 70-200 II and extender due to wrist issues. I am rebuilding my kit to function as a general all around set up. I have no experience with primes so just looking for opinions so I can bounce them around in my head. This is what is in my cart right now:

70-300L: Occasional wild life and messing around

24-70 II(already own): good walk around lens/some portraits

135L: Just cause I love the magic it produces. I will FIND something to shoot with it :)

35L: low light and indoors shooting.

Or chuck all the above and buy the 70-300L and a 85L and have some fun with it shooting at 1.2 ;) Would also keep the 24-70 II (it will not be sold!) Sound nuts but, the idea keeps creeping into my head

Throw some ideas at me. Trying to keep it around 33 to 35 hundred.
Thanks for any input.

My FLickrPage (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 28, 2013 18:37 |  #2

Sigma 35 instead of 35L: cheaper, better IQ.

If wrist problems are an issue, consider the 70-200 f4 IS instead of the 70-300L. It is quite a bit lighter, and IQ is at least as good (although you do get slightly less reach, obviously).

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

alann
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 28, 2013 18:47 |  #3

Thanks. already had a Sigma 35 and it was great outside but, as soon as I was inside the focus was all over the place. Both different lighting and distance to target were so inconsistent with focus it drove me crazy. I am not a pixel peeper :) but, these shots were way off. I don't think I want to go the Sigma route and always worry when something will go wrong.
Never thought of the 70-200 f4. I do wonder if I would be craving that extra 100mm?

My FLickrPage (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 28, 2013 22:42 |  #4

alann wrote in post #15876814 (external link)
Never thought of the 70-200 f4. I do wonder if I would be craving that extra 100mm?

You could keep the extender and have the same range you have now.

If your setup does the trick for you now, the f4L would as well. :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

603 views & 0 likes for this thread
General all around kit.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.