Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 28 Apr 2013 (Sunday) 21:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Prom

Guitartists
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 28, 2013 21:32 |  #1

My son Peregrine and his girlfriend America. I spent the morning setting up this arbor that blew over 4 times! :P Next time I'll figure out how to set it up inside and use lights!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

"Photography has no rules. It is not a sport. It is the result which counts, no matter how it was achieved." ~ Bill Brandt
Gear: Canon EOS Rebel T3 and some lenses and what-not :p ~~~ See my Artwork & Photography @ http://www.artwanted.c​om/guitartistsexternal link

sponsored links
merkaba
286 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2012

Apr 29, 2013 13:59 |  #2

almost all of these look slightly OOF to me =\

---------------
http://www.maniepelleg​rino.com/ (external link)
Canon 5D Mark III // 24-105L f4 // 50 f1.8 // Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM (II)
B+W 10 stop ND Filter

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 29, 2013 19:06 |  #3

Some of them were..... I don't know what is up with my auto focus... I tried using the face detection setting figuring it would do a better job than the regular setting...but I think that made it slower or something. It was about a 50/50 split on OOF and perfectly focused :P

"Photography has no rules. It is not a sport. It is the result which counts, no matter how it was achieved." ~ Bill Brandt
Gear: Canon EOS Rebel T3 and some lenses and what-not :p ~~~ See my Artwork & Photography @ http://www.artwanted.c​om/guitartistsexternal link

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 29, 2013 19:15 |  #4

Guitartists wrote in post #15880545 (external link)
Some of them were..... I don't know what is up with my auto focus... I tried using the face detection setting figuring it would do a better job than the regular setting...but I think that made it slower or something. It was about a 50/50 split on OOF and perfectly focused :P

What focus mode are you using? I"m not talking about manual/auto setting on the lens... but what setting in camera? Full auto, single point? Best to use single point focus and get it right on one of their eyes. If you go full auto, the camera doesn't know if you want to focus on the boy, the girl, the boy's hand instead of the eyes, etc. Cameras often focus on the closest object... which is rarely the eyes.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 29, 2013 20:31 |  #5

AI focus, center point, usually....but I changed it to the Facial recognition mode thinking I'd miss fewer shots. That's the only thing I changed and I think I paid for it :( But, since all anyone is going to do is look at these online or as 4x6s.... I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. With my son's schedule that day I had 20 mins to shoot and I just didn't have time to double check things. I spent the whole morning testing everything out and it was good.... I don't know why I messed with it. :P

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 29, 2013 20:33 |  #6

It didn't help that my youngest thought it was funny to keep running through shots :P I think I was partly too hurried and not taking enough time.

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Apr 30, 2013 01:31 |  #7

Guitartists wrote in post #15880857 (external link)
AI focus, center point, usually....but I changed it to the Facial recognition mode thinking I'd miss fewer shots. That's the only thing I changed and I think I paid for it :( But, since all anyone is going to do is look at these online or as 4x6s.... I'm trying not to beat myself up over it. With my son's schedule that day I had 20 mins to shoot and I just didn't have time to double check things. I spent the whole morning testing everything out and it was good.... I don't know why I messed with it. :P

Shooting through the Live View screen results in REALLY slow focusing. Don't ever use it unless you're doing landscapes.

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 30, 2013 12:23 |  #8

Hmmmm... I didn't use the screen... maybe that's what screwed it up.... that makes sense that that the facial thing would be in live mode...duh :P Well, color me stupid lol

Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 30, 2013 12:56 |  #9

Guitartists wrote in post #15883078 (external link)
Hmmmm... I didn't use the screen... maybe that's what screwed it up.... that makes sense that that the facial thing would be in live mode...duh :P Well, color me stupid lol

I don't see how you didn't know it was in Live Mode, since in Live Mode the mirror flips up and the viewfinder goes black. You would have had to use the LCD screen to compose the shot.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

krispyk
165 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Apr 30, 2013 18:16 as a reply to  @ Snafoo's post |  #10

Sounds like you may do a reshoot. If so move the arbor back closer to the field to eliminate the trees growing out of their heads. You will be much happier with the results I believe. :)

krispyk
https://davidjohnson.s​mugmug.com
Canon 5d Mk iii | Canon 70D | 24-70mm 2.8L | 100mm 2.8L Macro | 70-200mm F4L IS | 50mm 1.8 | ef-s 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 IS | Canon 200mm 2.8L v1 | Tamron 150-600mm V1

RSBurton
192 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 01, 2013 08:01 |  #11

krispyk wrote in post #15884407 (external link)
Sounds like you may do a reshoot. If so move the arbor back closer to the field to eliminate the trees growing out of their heads. You will be much happier with the results I believe. :)

+1 to what krispyk said

7D / 28-135, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 85mm, Canon 24-70mm 2.8 I, 50-250mm IS, (3) 600ex-rt

RSBurton
192 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 01, 2013 08:16 |  #12

+1 to what krispyk said

7D / 28-135, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 85mm, Canon 24-70mm 2.8 I, 50-250mm IS, (3) 600ex-rt

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 01, 2013 18:45 |  #13

Snafoo wrote in post #15883203 (external link)
I don't see how you didn't know it was in Live Mode, since in Live Mode the mirror flips up and the viewfinder goes black. You would have had to use the LCD screen to compose the shot.

No, I did not use it in live mode...viewfinder only...but I'm thinking the mode I chose in the menu was meant for live mode. I don't know....going to go back to the way I used to do things... if it isn't broke...don't fix it..right? :P

Guitartists
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 01, 2013 19:03 |  #14

I wish I could.... but no way I'm going to get those kids to get all dressed up again :P My son's schedule is so busy I rarely even get to see him anymore :P Like I said.... it was for me and the memories... I can live with it :P And that actually was the best background I could find here in my yard.... if I had more time to plan I would have set it up somewhere completely different.... but like I said, only had like 20 mins to shoot.... and he never could have found the time to drive them to a location away from home :(

sponsored links

1,857 views & 0 likes for this thread
Prom
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.