Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Apr 2013 (Tuesday) 11:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A 5D mark 3 is not a good alternative to a 7d!!

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jun 13, 2013 16:48 |  #91

I'd have a really tough time shelling out over a grand in 2013 for any body with the sensor of the 7D, but that's just me. Disclaimer: I'm all landscapes and would have no use for the FPS, fancy AF, etc.

Still though...

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links
kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 13, 2013 19:00 |  #92

brettjrob wrote in post #16028468 (external link)
I'd have a really tough time shelling out over a grand in 2013 for any body with the sensor of the 7D, but that's just me. Disclaimer: I'm all landscapes and would have no use for the FPS, fancy AF, etc.

Still though...

If landscapes are your thing and you need to print really large, then Canon isn't really the best system to be using at the moment. Hopefully that will change, but for now, the dynamic range and resolution of the Nikon D800 and D800E make them untouchable in the Canon world.

But that would require a system change, and that's an awful lot to ask of most people.

It looks to me like the 6D is probably the best landscape camera Canon has to offer right now. And you have it. I can guarantee that the upcoming 7D successor (assuming they ever produce it...) won't perform as well for landscapes as your 6D, unless Canon introduces some sort of breakthrough sensor in it. And they won't, because that would make it too competitive in terms of IQ with the other, more expensive cameras in their lineup.

I think we're going to have to wait for the next round of full frame cameras before we see a breakthrough DSLR sensor from Canon. It's the only way they can avoid killing their higher end lineup.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

auto-clicker
796 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 13, 2013 19:50 as a reply to  @ kcbrown's post |  #93

For what I was shooting under lights (flash not allowed) with needed high ISO and high shutter speed (1/1000+), the 7D wasn't working well for me, outside it was near perfect and I print no smaller than 20x30, I just got tired of too many hours in PP :rolleyes:

The 5D3 wouldn't really do it but the 1Dx sure will.

I could have gone D4 but like the 5D3, I didn't want mis-matched card slots.

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 13, 2013 21:16 |  #94

auto-clicker wrote in post #16028859 (external link)
The 5D3 wouldn't really do it but the 1Dx sure will.

What wouldn't do it? The ISO, or FPS?

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

auto-clicker
796 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 13, 2013 22:02 |  #95

DamianOz wrote in post #16029045 (external link)
What wouldn't do it? The ISO, or FPS?

combination of high ISO (3200+), fast shutter speed (1/1000+) with fps(8 is very fast but now with 12, I can catch the expressions i'm looking for) shooting table tennis...I actually need to be in the 6400 range at around 1/1250 shooting wide open at 2.8 with the 7D for this particular sport, I spend too much time PP noise. Now i'm going to spend more time sorting but I would take that over trying to clean up images.

the 1Dx is just amazing for high iso, the 5D3 I use for off table portraits...I know I can do that with the 1Dx but i just want to keep short primes on body and teles on another...this 2 body system works for me.

DamianOz
696 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 13, 2013 22:12 |  #96

Thanks, I understand the benefits of having more FPS. But your comparing the ISO to your experience with a 7D, is the noise form 1Dx much better than the 5D3, shooting RAW?

Bodies - Canon EOS 5DIII | EOS 6D
Primes - TS-E24 f/3.5L II | Σ 35mm F1.4 DG Art | EF 85 f/1.2L II | EF 135 f/2L
Zooms - EF 16-35 f/2.8L II | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | Σ 24-105mm F/4 DG OS Art | Σ 120-300mm F/2.8 DG OS Sport

auto-clicker
796 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 13, 2013 22:18 |  #97

DamianOz wrote in post #16029229 (external link)
Thanks, I understand the benefits of having more FPS. But your comparing the ISO to your experience with a 7D, is the noise form 1Dx much better than the 5D3, shooting RAW?

No not to my eyes although I've read some saying the 1dx is "slightly" better.

they're both fairly new too me, i'm shooting a big tournament (table tennis) end of the month but will be testing them during a 2 week sporting event starting on the 15th everything from fencing to cricket so this event will really test them.

just remember this is my hobby :D

the 7D is great outside in good light, never shot during the night though only racket sports indoors.

I will have to invest in a longer lens, 300 is the longest in my bag right now.

aladyforty
Goldmember
4,174 posts
Gallery: 287 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 14, 2013 00:22 |  #98

I kind of agree with the original poster on this. I have noticed that someone will say their budget on these forums and ask what camera would be a worthwhile purchase and many is the time I sigh when posts go up saying save for a more expensive model, maybe the person wants a camera now!

as to the 7D and 5DIII, well I'm not sure its worth me going to the 5DIII right now, the price is way out of my reach given that I have 5DII and it does a great job at portrait and landscapes. For wildlife my preference is my 1DIII (7D comes out for reach sometimes) If I was to spend money right now Id replace 1DIII with 1D4 but only for the cropping ability. There is nothing I dislike about the 1DIII except lack of pixels and I sometimes wish it took the EF-S lenses so I could have a cheap alternative super wide angle if I want to carry just the one camera. My 1DIII would be the camera I choose for all situations then. I have tried wildlife (even stationary) with my 5DII and by the time I add a TC and crop in, the shots seem softer than the 7D so I'm thinking being as the image quality of 5DIII is pretty much the same as 5DII, I'm going to be getting the same sort of photo out of the 5DIII as well.

5D3 7D2 Canon G1X Fuji X100 Fuji X10 canon glass & the odd other brands https://500px.com/alad​yforty (external link)
My youtube channel https://www.youtube.co​m …wlc4zg?view_as=​subscriber (external link)

The ­ "Canon ­ 7D" ­ Kid
111 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 14, 2013 01:59 as a reply to  @ aladyforty's post |  #99

OKAY, Here I go...

For a $1299.00 Body to even began to be compared to a $3299.00 body, to me say's a lot about the $1299.00 body. Yeah 7D! TWO GRAND is a lot of money!!!! Me personally I would rather have a 7D with the 70-200 2.8 IS II. Or a 7D and a new Mac Book Pro.
I really can't speak on the 5D MKIII because I don't have one, nor have I used one. I know a couple people that do have them and they seem to really like it. But they tend to like my setup also. IMO for the average everyday photographer I think full frame is HIGHLY OVERRATED! "How many of you can actually look at a photo without knowing what gear was used and tell that it is a "FULL FRAME" photo".

A little while back, a buddy of mine called me over to check out his new HARLEY!!! The bike was nice indeed. I asked him what is the big thing about"HARLEY'S". And he replied, "I'm not even going to lie, "It's just a STATUS THING"". I respect him so much for being man enough to admit that, because a lot of us wont. We have all been guilty of it. I would bet that at least 50% of the people who have the 5dMKIII are not using it to it's full capability. And could EASILY achieve the same results with the 7D. or maybe even something lesser(A Rebel). But basically you bought the 5DMKIII "JUST BECAUSE YOU COULD". I'm not knocking anyone who has a 5DMKIII or something more expensive. we all goto work everyday so why shouldn't we buy what we want. But Remember, There will always be something better. I'm pretty sure that there are plenty of leica and hasselblad owners that look down on canon and nikon users all day.

Bottomn line, A camera does not make you a better photographer, "We've all seen some pretty nice shots taken with P&S and iphone's". To each his own!

At the end of the day, They all do the same thing "TAKE A DAMN PICTURE".

With that being said, "I LOVE MY 7D!" But I do want to borrow or rent a 5DMKIII just to see if I could justify buying one. If I were to buy one I would still keep my 7D.

Canon 5D Mark III (Gripped), Canon 7D (Gripped), 70-200mm 1:2.8 L IS II USM, 24-105 L, 28-135mm, 75-300mm, 50mm 1.8, 580 EXII, Canon ST-E3-RT, Canon 600EX-RT X's 3 And not nearly enough time/good weather to enjoy it.

Maverique
880 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jun 14, 2013 02:03 |  #100

I would like to dedicate this video to everyone with GAS. I suffer from it too, in more than one form. Teehee. Farts.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=dfDb_ApRhyM (external link)

My website (external link) | My facebook (external link) | My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

13,530 views & 0 likes for this thread
A 5D mark 3 is not a good alternative to a 7d!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.