Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 May 2013 (Thursday) 05:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flags for standard light stands

Pearlallica
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2013 05:54 |  #1

I have some background lights on standard light stands that I want to flag, probably with something basic like a black piece of foam core. I envision achieving this by attaching a grip head to something like a 20" boom. I'm guessing this arm can be attached with a super clamp and another grip head and the appropriate pin.

Do you you guys have a more simpler way of flagging your background lights using less components? I want compactness, nothing bulky like bi-fold doors.

jonathan @ tlcphoto.com (external link) - pro wedding and portrait photog
5d2 5d3 50L 16-35 70-200 ElinchromRX600 580EX 600EX VIV285

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

May 02, 2013 09:54 |  #2

Barn doors?

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 02, 2013 12:22 |  #3

I use a Manfrotto Superclamp (external link), then an articulated arm (external link), a spring clamp (external link) and simple foam core. The arm is long enough to reach around my flash head and beauty dish and even flag that.

Not the cheapest solution, but very flexible (as in: adjustable. Yes, it also flexes a little bit.). If I was to buy it again, I'd seriously consider a magic arm (external link) for the gain in adjustment speed.

Tobi

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 02, 2013 15:29 |  #4

That articulated arm looks genius. That fits the bill exactly. I agree, the magic arm is by far more versatile, but at $110 bucks, factor in the spring clamp and super clamp, then double it for your second background light, it's a little out of my price reach. Just going to have to add that little accessory my B&H wish list ;)

Thanks Tobi. That was extremely helpful.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 07, 2013 06:17 |  #5

Something like (external link)this also works well for styrene (paint one side matte black for flag, other side can be used as reflector)…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Tobi.
469 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 07, 2013 07:58 |  #6

René Damkot wrote in post #15905965 (external link)
Something like (external link)this also works well for styrene (paint one side matte black for flag, other side can be used as reflector)…

True. However, I have one and it's a PITA. Not the fork itself is the problem, it's well made and as good as anything else from Manfrotto. It can only be used with styrofoam since it needs a minimal thickness so as not to split to board. It does not work with foamcore. And styrofoam is dirty! It breaks and flakes and that white stuff is all over the place. foamcore is so much more durable and handy!

Tobi

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 14, 2013 08:15 |  #7

That fork for the styrene board looks interesting. I tend to agree with Tobi's rationale against it. I have considered styrene before but have refrained from going down that road because of the debris factor. I have also considered foam core but I cannot, for the life of me, track down a supplier that will provide 4x8 sheets. Signage shops never seem to carry it (they hate it and complain how easy it is to damage) and online suppliers pricing is astronomically high. (shipping!) I have some very heavy board from home depot but consider it too hazardous, and I have some tile board which seems too flimsy and just use for reflective flooring.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

May 14, 2013 08:27 |  #8

The fork could be taped to one side of a foamcore sheet rather than trying to stick the tines into the core. The four tines, if all four were taped, would probably give all the support required.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

JBillings
909 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2005

May 14, 2013 15:57 |  #9

Pearlallica wrote in post #15930468 (external link)
That fork for the styrene board looks interesting. I tend to agree with Tobi's rationale against it. I have considered styrene before but have refrained from going down that road because of the debris factor. I have also considered foam core but I cannot, for the life of me, track down a supplier that will provide 4x8 sheets. Signage shops never seem to carry it (they hate it and complain how easy it is to damage) and online suppliers pricing is astronomically high. (shipping!) I have some very heavy board from home depot but consider it too hazardous, and I have some tile board which seems too flimsy and just use for reflective flooring.

I get my foam core in 4' x 8' sheets at a local printer that specializes in blue printing for the architectural/construc​tion business. They often mount architectural renderings on foam core and have a supply of it on hand.

jb
Nature website (external link) -- Sports website (external link)

Pearlallica
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,302 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 14, 2013 20:43 |  #10

JBillings wrote in post #15931959 (external link)
I get my foam core in 4' x 8' sheets at a local printer that specializes in blue printing for the architectural/construc​tion business. They often mount architectural renderings on foam core and have a supply of it on hand.

just out of curiosity, how much are they parting for their boards?

(i'm currently calling around some of our biggest printers and no-one carries them. Staples carries 4x4 sheets but of course that just won't suffice. Arg!!)

sponsored links

1,433 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flags for standard light stands
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.