Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

BamPhoto
Goldmember
3,096 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 28, 2013 08:48 |  #1546

Adobe has "Photoshop single subscription" or Lightroom retail box.

Randy
My Gear List and Feedback
Website (external link)

sponsored links
DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 28, 2013 09:18 |  #1547

cntry wrote in post #16160348 (external link)
Adobe has "Photoshop single subscription" or Lightroom retail box.

I.e. pay until you die or slow software...

Makes open source look so attractive :). (Or the competiton - unfortunately Capture One Pro is slow... slower than Lightroom...)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 28, 2013 09:33 |  #1548
bannedPermanent ban

DetlevCM wrote in post #16160319 (external link)
Some people don't like having stuff forced onto them.
Guess which company I will (at the moment) recommend for computers: Fujitsu.
Well prices, and most importantly, no bloat forced onto you.

If I want to purchase a product, I want THAT product, not 30 services thrown in and then the excuse "its good value for money" - no its not, you are forcing me to buy stuff I don't want to get what I want.

On the other hand: SUSE Linux actually comes with a RAW interpreter built in!!!
I have not given it a thorough assessment, but whenever I get a new laptop for myself (which can be quite some time off) that will make moving to Linux all the easier.

No one is forcing anything onto you. If you register for the conference, you get a year free of CC. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to use this freeby. Sheesh.

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 01, 2013 10:47 |  #1549

Hogloff wrote in post #16160441 (external link)
No one is forcing anything onto you. If you register for the conference, you get a year free of CC. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to use this freeby. Sheesh.

I have a question for you.

If you have CS6, and use the free CC, will you be able to use CS6 if you decide not to use CC anymore? Will the PSD files be compatible to CS6 without any problems?

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 01, 2013 11:14 |  #1550

Eyal wrote in post #16172559 (external link)
If you have CS6, and use the free CC, will you be able to use CS6 if you decide not to use CC anymore?

Yes

Eyal wrote in post #16172559 (external link)
Will the PSD files be compatible to CS6 without any problems?

The PSD files will only be partially compatible. Using some of the new features will make them incompatible with CS6.

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Aug 02, 2013 09:51 |  #1551

dalto wrote in post #16172639 (external link)
Yes

The PSD files will only be partially compatible. Using some of the new features will make them incompatible with CS6.

So its kinda of a "its a trap!" thingy.
In the following year they can make some changes and most of your manipulations will be gone in CS6.

Also i'm interested to know how the user id will react after the 1 year subscription, since it will be tired to the pay to use feature. Will not paying make it "locked" or you can still get updates (if they come) to cs6 without issues.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 02, 2013 11:59 |  #1552

dalto wrote in post #16172639 (external link)
Yes

This is very interesting. Could you please explain what would make them incompatible? Is it the way the file is written?

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Aug 02, 2013 12:07 |  #1553

Pinto wrote in post #16175573 (external link)
This is very interesting. Could you please explain what would make them incompatible? Is it the way the file is written?

Specifications of the file.
-> Basically the data structure in the file or additional content.

Just compare the xmp sidecar for CameraRAW 5.7 to the one written for Camera7/Lightroom 4 -> additional information that the earlier version cannot read.

In a best case scenario, the older application can read some data - in a worst case scenario it can read none. But anything added in to the format after the fact cannot be read by older applications.
Guess why there is a "maximize compatibility" option in the photoshop save dialogue.

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Aug 02, 2013 13:13 |  #1554

DetlevCM wrote in post #16175594 (external link)
Specifications of the file.
-> Basically the data structure in the file or additional content.

Just compare the xmp sidecar for CameraRAW 5.7 to the one written for Camera7/Lightroom 4 -> additional information that the earlier version cannot read.

In a best case scenario, the older application can read some data - in a worst case scenario it can read none. But anything added in to the format after the fact cannot be read by older applications.
Guess why there is a "maximize compatibility" option in the photoshop save dialogue.

Makes sense. Thanks.

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 04, 2013 10:40 |  #1555

Pinto wrote in post #16175573 (external link)

Just to follow-up on detlevcm said, the issue is that for any nondestructive feature what they are saving in the file is instructions/configura​tion for the non-destructive tool to do what ever it does.

In essence, whenever Adobe adds a new non-destructive tool, by definition former versions will not work with it.

This isn't some kind of ploy on Adobe's part, it is just the nature of non-destructive tools.

This is the reason I am so concerned about the subscription model. It is because there is no real path to backwards compatibility except to never use new features.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Aug 04, 2013 11:12 |  #1556

dalto wrote in post #16180126 (external link)
This is the reason I am so concerned about the subscription model. It is because there is no real path to backwards compatibility except to never use new features.

That isn't enough - if an existing feature is updated it may start to save the information in a new way.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 04, 2013 11:28 |  #1557

pwm2 wrote in post #16180215 (external link)
That isn't enough - if an existing feature is updated it may start to save the information in a new way.

Good point, that's even worse.

sponsored links

111,191 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.