Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,387 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 07, 2013 10:30 |  #181

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15906645 (external link)
I know I'll be in the minority here if I even go for this but...

Over the weekend I was on the Adobe site looking to go from Photoshop Extended CS5 to CS6 and saw the $400 upgrade price and balked.

Two days later I see this.

My situation is a little different in that my wife is a Mac person and I'm a PC person so we've always had to buy two versions of the same software.

From what I've seen, with the subscription we can pay our $$ for both and activate two machines "on the cloud" with perpetual updates for as long as we want.

We'll spend quite a bit less than we would for our annual CSx to CSx+1 X 2 upgrades.

It's still expensive, but when was Adobe ever cheap?

I'm not happy that Adobe is force-feeding their "cloud" scheme on users, and to that end I agree and understand the anger expressed in this thread. But for my own needs I think much the same as you do. Previously I maintaind a creative suite that cost about $400/year to keep up with upgrades. Now it's 600/year, but I gain access to more apps. And I use them (After Effects, Premiere, Illustrator, In Design, etc.). So, it's personally a pretty good fit for me, but I totally appreciate how offensive Adobe's scheme is to so many. :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,387 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 07, 2013 10:33 |  #182

Lowner wrote in post #15906667 (external link)
So doing it via the cloud, in about 5 years we will have paid twice over?

For those that don't keep up with upgrades it's really lousy. Basically Adobe is forcing all their users to keep up with upgrades. And yes, that is indeed a pretty rotten scheme.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 07, 2013 10:40 |  #183

Luckless wrote in post #15903459 (external link)
Yes, because software development of a project the scale of just one title from Adobe is a simple and cheap process...

The subscription based service is there way of 'being less greedy' and charging 'less' per person. I'm not willing to shell out $600 for a software title I will use fairly casually, even if I will use it for five or six years. I am however very happy to shell out a far smaller amount every month. It becomes a cost of living/entertainment, easily justified, rather than a hard to justify large initial investment.

Even if it costs you $1200 over that same 5 or 6 year time span? Not me...

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 07, 2013 10:43 |  #184

charro callado wrote in post #15906237 (external link)
To me it's a distinction without a difference.

It may be few, and that's why I was wondering. It strikes me as hypocritical that a professional community that is so fiercely protective about their (digital) work would be so hostile when a company tries to employ the same means of protection and payment.

How about if Canon charged you $5000* a month to lease your kit of 1D X, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L, 50mm f/1.2L, 35mm f/1.4L, and 600EX-RT, with no option to buy it outright? You have to pay the $5000 every month* for a year minimum whether you use it or monetize or not. If you don't want the monthly payment anymore, you have to give it all back. You can't sell it.

*the approximate scaled Suite equivalent.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 07, 2013 10:46 |  #185

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #15905337 (external link)
I went over to the NAPP site and I see nothing on there about this. Scott Kelby is in bed with Adobe and most likely will stay out of this fight maybe???

Don't they also have their own software for masking and editing? Can't remember the name but this might be a gold mine for them if it's really theirs

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 07, 2013 10:48 |  #186

cdifoto wrote in post #15906723 (external link)
How about if Canon charged you $5000* a month to lease your kit of 1D X, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L, 50mm f/1.2L, 35mm f/1.4L, and 600EX-RT, with no option to buy it outright? You have to pay the $5000 every month* for a year minimum whether you use it or monetize or not. If you don't want the monthly payment anymore, you have to give it all back. You can't sell it.[/I]

I don't think you understood what I was implying.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 07, 2013 10:56 |  #187

charro callado wrote in post #15906741 (external link)
I don't think you understood what I was implying.

I don't think you understand how it works.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 07, 2013 10:58 |  #188

pbelarge wrote in post #15904284 (external link)
I just started using PS and even took some classes.

Depending on your needs it might be wise to invest building your muscle memory on a different platform.

There is nothing more painful than changing a photo postprogressing chain.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 10:59 |  #189

Maybe I am not comprehending or communicating well in the below chat with Adobe. Please let me know if I was clear in my thoughts.
This is the acutal chat session:

Maggie: Hi, may I have your first name please?
you: Alan North
Maggie: Hi, Alan.
Maggie: How may I help you with your purchase?
you: I purchased Photoshop CS 6 a few weeks ago and now I find out adobe will be going to an all cloud model. I can not return my software (purchased through Adorma). Please explain if I just wasted 600.00
Maggie: We still have the perpetual license on the website we did not discontinue the software. You can log in to www.adobe.com (external link) for further information.
Maggie: Is there anything else I can help you with for now?
you: Adobe has stated that only uprgrades to CS6 and or CS7 (in the future) available to cloud subscribers. Is this correct? If so I feel I have been ripped off by Adobe. Also what about Light room?
Maggie: We have upgrade option from CS5 right now and we do not have information on the future upgrade option. Also, if you own CS3, CS4, CS5 or CS6 you can subscribe to Creative Cloud.
Maggie: Lightroom 4 is part of Creative Cloud.
you: Adobe has stated that upgrades to CS6 will only be available to cloud subscribers. So even though I paid 600.00 for CS6 I will have to subscibe to the cloud and pay another monthly fee to stay updated! I know I can subscribe but, it is not right that I paid 600 for the stand alone and am forced to pay a monthly fee to stay updated. That is my concern. Please explain what will happen when Adobe goes to an all cloud model! They stated there will be "provisions" for those that recently purchased CS6, What are they?
Maggie: The provision is like since you own CS6 you can get Creative Cloud at $19.99/month. It cost $49.99/month for new customer.
Maggie: You can still continue using your CS6.
Maggie: If you wish only you can subscribe to Cloud.
Maggie: We still have perpetual license on website and we do not have information on weather it will be discontinue or not.
Maggie: I recommend you to log in to www.Adobe.com (external link) for further information.
you: You can do that WITHOUT paying 600 for the program! I guess I am not communicating well or you are not receiving my thoughts correctly. This is very poor. Someone can subscribe to the cloud WITHOUT buying the program and those that paid for it have to pay the same monthly fee. That makes no sense. I will log on but, you have either evaded addressed this issue.
Maggie: It is not the same price.
Maggie: For CS6 owner it is just $19.99/month.
you: The cloud is 19.95 for NEW uers for the first year. then is goes up.
you: I Know this because i subscibed and then canceled when I found out about the increase after a year. After I canceled I bought the program. So now I still have to pay 19.99 a month. I give up. Thanks for taking my money and then forcing me to pay a monthly fee to stay current. I know you don't set policy so not directed at you but, at Adobe.
Maggie: For new users it is $49.99/month and will continue it as long as they subscribe.
Maggie: We do not provide wrong information to our Customer.
you: Then HOW did I sign up for 19.99 BEFORE I owned CS6? Customer support? I THINK NOT!
Maggie: You have mentioned that you purchased Photoshop CS 6 a few weeks ago so, if you own CS6 you can get at $19.99/month for Creative Cloud.
Maggie: I'm happy to help. Do you have other questions for me?
you: So I will have paid 840.00 for 1 year of cs6. You have just lost a customer and I would bet you loose many more. Have a nice day.
Maggie: Sorry, if you cancel it will be $49.99/month.
Maggie: Thank you for visiting Adobe.com today! Please come back online if you need any assistance. We will be happy to help.
Maggie: We'd like to hear your comments. Please click on the 'Close' button in the upper right corner and take a moment to complete a short survey. Thank you! Have a Nice Day!
Thank you for chatting with Adobe.

My FLickrPage (external link)

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 11:04 |  #190

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #15905337 (external link)
I went over to the NAPP site and I see nothing on there about this. Scott Kelby is in bed with Adobe and most likely will stay out of this fight maybe???

Kelby more than likely gets a free lifetime membership along with the rest of the Adobe evangelists. They couldn't care less how this pricing will impact the average joe...

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

May 07, 2013 11:06 |  #191

Osiriz wrote in post #15903439 (external link)
Overpricing leads to discontent, discontent leads to rebellion, rebellion leads to cracking.

I actually think this subscription model is going to lead to more piracy, not less.

Corbeau wrote in post #15904414 (external link)
The cost of acquiring Adobe software is no longer capital, but operating... Now that it's an operating expense, 100% of the $600 goes towards reducing your business taxes, every year.

Interested perspective. Can you elaborate on what this effectively does to the yearly cost of CC after tax write-offs?

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,609 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 07, 2013 11:07 |  #192

Just found out that is you own CS6 already it is 9.99 for the first year. This is still very unsatisfactory at the least.

My FLickrPage (external link)

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2013 11:08 |  #193

Osiriz wrote in post #15903439 (external link)
Overpricing leads to discontent, discontent leads to rebellion, rebellion leads to cracking.

If Adobe stops being so greedy, I'm sure more people would pay for their products instead of cracking them. The same goes for all other software developers.

Amen.

Adobe seems bent on a path of greed. Because they believe they have the photographic community by the stones, they're gonna squeeze as much as they can.

Be wary Adobe, you may rule for now, but the timing is ripe for someone to come along with a more user-friendly, reasonably priced product, and like so many other software companies, your time will be limited.

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
3,908 posts
Joined Sep 2002

May 07, 2013 11:13 as a reply to  @ cdifoto's post |  #194

Well Adobe stock is dropping today, so keep it up. Probably not enough yet, need it to drop at least 10% in a day.

Stock prices dropping are the fastest way of getting the message to Adobe idiots in charge that people think they are making a stupid move.

I have been upgrading since PS7, although I skipped CS4 (no real improvement from CS3), and the upgrade price has been low enough to pay off the subscription within 18 months at the outside, with a 2 year update period, it saves me money to do the updates versus subscription.
Now add in:
- Unreliable internet.

- I don't trust computers and if Adobe's go down, we are all S-O-L. Maybe anonymous can take down their servers to prove a point, not that I actual recommend that, but I am thinking it.

- Out of internet range. Parts of Nevada, if no where else I travel, are out of range and on two cruises I was using PS to edit some pictures while transiting to a new port, won't be able to do that if I need to access the internet at a random time on a cruise. Not that I can afford a cruise right now, but beside the point.

- Secure Government computers that don't access the internet. It is a hassle as it is to load or get an update. A subscription service would be useless - they don't access the internet for a reason.

- I personally just went through and dropped or minimized all my "monthly" costs, because I am on a contract break for my day-job.

- Speaking of which I occasionally use PS for my day job stuff, because of how purchasing works, I can sucker them into buying a one-time cost adobe license, but no way I can get them to buy into the subscription thing at my day-job.

- And then there are times like these: I got all my camera equipment, computers and software while I had a steady income coming in. I don't right now, so am relying on already paid for stuff to make me some money, without having to worry about additional costs for awhile.

- And jokingly their is always the Zombie Apocalypse to worry about.

In short, sell your Adobe stocks now.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.com (external link)
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​m (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,201 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 11:14 |  #195

Seems the Adobe guy and the Netflix guy went out to lunch one day and discussed their idea of customer satisfaction.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

113,337 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.