Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2013 11:22 |  #196

mclaren777 wrote in post #15906825 (external link)
I actually think this subscription model is going to lead to more piracy, not less.

A lot more piracy. I don't think this move has anything to do with piracy. Also, despite the fun "cloud" name this is just a licensing model change bundled with some moderately useful cloud services.

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15906645 (external link)
My situation is a little different in that my wife is a Mac person and I'm a PC person so we've always had to buy two versions of the same software.

From what I've seen, with the subscription we can pay our $$ for both and activate two machines "on the cloud" with perpetual updates for as long as we want.

It's still expensive, but when was Adobe ever cheap?

As long as you are OK with paying for the rest of your life I guess it is fine. Because, if you ever stop paying you will no longer be able to access your old assets unless a 3rd party product comes out that can read them.

sponsored links
fteter
152 posts
Joined May 2007

May 07, 2013 11:32 |  #197

Funny, but CS4 still does everything I want it do do. I suppose I'll eventually upgrade to CS6 and stay on it for quite some time...until I'm compelled to find a replacement. I don't have any intent of paying $600 per year for Creative Cloud...now or anytime in the future. Like the cloud model, but the annual bill is waaay too high for supporting my hobby.

--FMT--

mitsu13gman
265 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 07, 2013 11:36 as a reply to  @ dalto's post |  #198

I feel I need to add my comments here, just on the off chance that the consumer backlash is enough to actually affect a change at Adobe.

For the record I am a professional...

engineer.

My photography is entirely a hobby, and I work very hard to keep it that way. I do some shoots for people, and when I do, I hand over any and everything they need after the shoot, with no limitations on usage.

I currently have a paid license for Photoshop CS4. A lot of my images are portraits, so Lightroom really doesn't cut it for me, though I do also have a paid license for LR3. All of my images go through Photoshop at some point.

I was absolutely livid to find out that my window to upgrade to CS6 closed on Jan 1st of 2013, so I was planning to put off upgrading until CS7. My logic in this is that there have been very few meaningful new features added to Photoshop since CS4 to justify the cost of an upgrade.

Now, I am completely beside myself. This is a revenue grab, pure and simple. They failed to offer sufficient new features to entice upgraders, so now they're simply locking their users into a perpetual cost of usage. By itself, I see this as inexcuseable, but I can see so many ways for this to get even worse.

I do see one potential conspiracy theory where all is not lost, however. I wonder if they will do this to drive sales of CS6 so people can get the last "real" version, then in 6 months or so (when sales are looking good again,) back off and say that subscription won't be the only option after all.

Regardless, I don't have $600 extra sitting around to buy CS6 right now, so my only hope is that, when I do, I can still find a license SOMEWHERE to buy...

In the mean time, I'll be doing trials with competitive software to see if there's a viable alternative.

Mike

Mike - "EXIF stripping is bad, mmmkay?"
My Gear
My Site (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,183 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 11:37 |  #199

fteter wrote in post #15906887 (external link)
waaay too high for supporting my hobby.

This is the person that gets hurt the most. We save up for this software, for many years sometimes. We also use it for many years not paying for the upgrades as it wasn't in the original budget. Paying for a product that expires the moment you stop paying the subscription fee, making it's files useless to the creator seems extremely harsh.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,703 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 07, 2013 11:39 |  #200

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #15906645 (external link)
I know I'll be in the minority here if I even go for this but...

Over the weekend I was on the Adobe site looking to go from Photoshop Extended CS5 to CS6 and saw the $400 upgrade price and balked.

Two days later I see this.

My situation is a little different in that my wife is a Mac person and I'm a PC person so we've always had to buy two versions of the same software.

From what I've seen, with the subscription we can pay our $$ for both and activate two machines "on the cloud" with perpetual updates for as long as we want.

We'll spend quite a bit less than we would for our annual CSx to CSx+1 X 2 upgrades.

It's still expensive, but when was Adobe ever cheap?

This is great, really.

As mentioned before, I think this concept would help Adobe's bottom line if it was offered as an Option.

My Way or the Highway, rarely works for marketing and sales.
It really is a TERRIBLE idea when your customer base is so diverse.

One model for all?
This ONLY works if you are interested in limiting your customer base.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DetlevCM
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 07, 2013 11:41 |  #201

alann wrote in post #15906799 (external link)
Maybe I am not comprehending or communicating well in the below chat with Adobe. Please let me know if I was clear in my thoughts.
This is the acutal chat session:

Maggie: Hi, may I have your first name please?
you: Alan North
Maggie: Hi, Alan.
Maggie: How may I help you with your purchase?
you: I purchased Photoshop CS 6 a few weeks ago and now I find out adobe will be going to an all cloud model. I can not return my software (purchased through Adorma). Please explain if I just wasted 600.00
Maggie: We still have the perpetual license on the website we did not discontinue the software. You can log in to www.adobe.com (external link) for further information.
Maggie: Is there anything else I can help you with for now?
you: Adobe has stated that only uprgrades to CS6 and or CS7 (in the future) available to cloud subscribers. Is this correct? If so I feel I have been ripped off by Adobe. Also what about Light room?
Maggie: We have upgrade option from CS5 right now and we do not have information on the future upgrade option. Also, if you own CS3, CS4, CS5 or CS6 you can subscribe to Creative Cloud.
Maggie: Lightroom 4 is part of Creative Cloud.
you: Adobe has stated that upgrades to CS6 will only be available to cloud subscribers. So even though I paid 600.00 for CS6 I will have to subscibe to the cloud and pay another monthly fee to stay updated! I know I can subscribe but, it is not right that I paid 600 for the stand alone and am forced to pay a monthly fee to stay updated. That is my concern. Please explain what will happen when Adobe goes to an all cloud model! They stated there will be "provisions" for those that recently purchased CS6, What are they?
Maggie: The provision is like since you own CS6 you can get Creative Cloud at $19.99/month. It cost $49.99/month for new customer.
Maggie: You can still continue using your CS6.
Maggie: If you wish only you can subscribe to Cloud.
Maggie: We still have perpetual license on website and we do not have information on weather it will be discontinue or not.
Maggie: I recommend you to log in to www.Adobe.com (external link) for further information.
you: You can do that WITHOUT paying 600 for the program! I guess I am not communicating well or you are not receiving my thoughts correctly. This is very poor. Someone can subscribe to the cloud WITHOUT buying the program and those that paid for it have to pay the same monthly fee. That makes no sense. I will log on but, you have either evaded addressed this issue.
Maggie: It is not the same price.
Maggie: For CS6 owner it is just $19.99/month.
you: The cloud is 19.95 for NEW uers for the first year. then is goes up.
you: I Know this because i subscibed and then canceled when I found out about the increase after a year. After I canceled I bought the program. So now I still have to pay 19.99 a month. I give up. Thanks for taking my money and then forcing me to pay a monthly fee to stay current. I know you don't set policy so not directed at you but, at Adobe.
Maggie: For new users it is $49.99/month and will continue it as long as they subscribe.
Maggie: We do not provide wrong information to our Customer.
you: Then HOW did I sign up for 19.99 BEFORE I owned CS6? Customer support? I THINK NOT!
Maggie: You have mentioned that you purchased Photoshop CS 6 a few weeks ago so, if you own CS6 you can get at $19.99/month for Creative Cloud.
Maggie: I'm happy to help. Do you have other questions for me?
you: So I will have paid 840.00 for 1 year of cs6. You have just lost a customer and I would bet you loose many more. Have a nice day.
Maggie: Sorry, if you cancel it will be $49.99/month.
Maggie: Thank you for visiting Adobe.com today! Please come back online if you need any assistance. We will be happy to help.
Maggie: We'd like to hear your comments. Please click on the 'Close' button in the upper right corner and take a moment to complete a short survey. Thank you! Have a Nice Day!
Thank you for chatting with Adobe.

Outsourced tech support that reads off a checklist... (Or are the spelling and grammar errors in Adobe's response yours?)

5D MK II AF Satisfaction Poll | Reduced Kit List
A Basic Guide to Photographyexternal link | Websiteexternal link
Flickrexternal link | Artflakesexternal link | Blurbexternal link

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 07, 2013 11:50 |  #202

Anyone use the onONe software bundle.. ??
might take a look at it now that this is happening

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 07, 2013 11:59 |  #203

Gaarryy wrote in post #15906953 (external link)

I tried the suite once. The layers app was slower than cold molasses. I only ever need Perfect Resize anyway, but I've been contemplating buying the suite now as they've been offering it for about the same price as the Nik suite.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 12:11 |  #204

If you just want PS the yearly cost is $240 (not $600). This is not so bad for those that always upgrade with each release. Especially if they really add new features more often (several times a year) and keep the programs up to date. What I don't like is you can't jump off at any point and still use their software. This sucks and I would consider going to another product for this reason alone.

I'll probably keep getting new versions of LR and keep CS6 to use when needed.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 12:17 |  #205

Scatterbrained wrote in post #15906979 (external link)
I tried the suite once. The layers app was slower than cold molasses. I only ever need Perfect Resize anyway, but I've been contemplating buying the suite now as they've been offering it for about the same price as the Nik suite.

The OnOne suite has really made major jumps in the last couple of releases. There are some stuff I never used because it was clunky and now works great. I guess using their layers program with LR might be an option. One of the reasons I still use PS is the ability to use layers. I've never done anything with the OnOne layers because I've always had PS. Might be something to consider in light of this CC announcment.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 12:21 |  #206

Gaarryy wrote in post #15906953 (external link)

I have the entire OnOne suite, and it's very good, all the basics are there, but it's not PS. I think with enough practice, one could accomplish most of what needs to be done to a Photo with the OnOne suite. I use Perfect Resize as my default for those tasks and find it better than PS, but I find the cloning and masking to still be a bit immature but that could be just lack of use on my part as I still go to CS6 for those tasks....

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 07, 2013 12:22 |  #207

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #15907055 (external link)
The OnOne suite has really made major jumps in the last couple of releases. There are some stuff I never used because it was clunky and now works great. I guess using their layers program with LR might be an option. One of the reasons I still use PS is the ability to use layers. I've never done anything with the OnOne layers because I've always had PS. Might be something to consider in light of this CC announcment.

I tried the last iteration, version 6. Layers was just too slow. Lr and Ps CS6 scream on my machine, yet OnOne struggled. Granted layers is a very basic program and wouldn't fit my needs, but if the suite as a whole become more efficient I would consider picking it up as it's almost the same price for Perfect Resize Premium as a standalone. :confused:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 07, 2013 12:31 |  #208

Stone 13 wrote in post #15907070 (external link)
I have the entire OnOne suite, and it's very good, all the basics are there, but it's not PS. I think with enough practice, one could accomplish most of what needs to be done to a Photo with the OnOne suite. I use Perfect Resize as my default for those tasks and find it better than PS, but I find the cloning and masking to still be a bit immature but that could be just lack of use on my part as I still go to CS6 for those tasks....

thanks... I"ll might give the 30 day trail ... well someday..
with luck by the time my CS5 is too old either this or something else will have come along

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

ToddR
766 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2013 12:41 |  #209

alann wrote in post #15906799 (external link)

Maggie: I'm happy to help. Do you have other questions for me?

Is there anything more smarmy and obnoxious than the way these customer service drones always ask if there is anything else they can help you with? As if what came prior immediately wraps things up all nice and tidy to your satisfaction. She was trying awfully hard to sweep you out the door. :rolleyes:

Gear List

Stone ­ 13
Goldmember
1,690 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 12:43 |  #210

Gaarryy wrote in post #15907114 (external link)
thanks... I"ll might give the 30 day trail ... well someday..
with luck by the time my CS5 is too old either this or something else will have come along

tiff is an open standard, so CS5 should last you for a very long time.

However, (and I could be very wrong) the move Adobe just made, makes me very wary of using their proprietary DNG format. How long before we see a "new" version of DNG that only works with the subscription based products?

Ken
Fujifilm X100T | 5D III gripped |35L | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 85 1.8 | 430 EX II | Yongnuo YN-568EX | Billingham 445 | Think Tank UD 60 |

sponsored links

111,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.