Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2013 15:29 |  #256

ThreeGuysPhoto wrote in post #15907768 (external link)
You own CS6. It will always work. I'm not sure if the CC install will leave it alone, but you should be able to re-install it later if needed.

If you want to start the CC deal it will cost $20.00 / month ($10 / month the first year if you sign up soon) for an individual PS subscription. If you decide to stop the service you can still go back to CS6. You will just loose any new features added after. Of course there is concern that camera raw updates won't be available down the road which could be an issue.

Unless they alter the file formats. In which case your CS6 won't open the files anymore.

sponsored links
Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2013 15:30 |  #257

dalto wrote in post #15907784 (external link)
Unless they alter the file formats. In which case your CS6 won't open the files anymore.

Hence, saving everything in TIFF.

I've never found a use for the PSD format anyway.

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 15:31 |  #258

dalto wrote in post #15907784 (external link)

True. This as well as some other concerns have me leaning towards not getting any subscription and just keeping my CS6. I'd keep upgrading LR and other tools.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,182 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2013 15:32 |  #259

Shadowblade wrote in post #15907792 (external link)
I've never found a use for the PSD format anyway.

If you save layers for future edits you would save it in .psd. Seems important to me.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2013 15:33 |  #260

Chet wrote in post #15907802 (external link)
If you save layers for future edits you would save it in .psd. Seems important to me.

You can do it in TIFF too.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 07, 2013 15:33 |  #261

alann wrote in post #15907674 (external link)
You are incorrect. If I can pay 29.99 per month and have complete use of CS6 for a year. But since I own it I can pay 9.99 per month for a year then pay 49.99 per month after that. From what I understand once they go to on line only I am forced to use the service if I want to upgrade at any time. Then once I quite the monthly payments my CS6 is useless ( If I understand all of this correctly) because they deactivate it when you stop payment. If I am wrong please let me know. If the above is true I could have just rented (for the same monthly fee after a year) instead of paying 600.00 and a monthly fee.
If you read you will see that I did tell the tech that I know it is not her fault! Perhaps you should read just a little more before you throw stones.

You purchased CS6, therefore you have a perpetual license. There will be no CS7 however, so if you wanted to upgrade you'd have to purchase CC. That doesn't negate your CS6 license any more than buying CS6 would negate your previous licenses. If you decided to cancel the CC subscription you'd have to go back to CS6. It's really pretty simple. You can't upgrade CS6 without the cloud subscription because there simply won't be any upgrades available. CS7 would be the next upgrade but they have decided there will be no CS7.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 15:34 |  #262

Shadowblade wrote in post #15907803 (external link)

You can but those files can get really BIG.

-Wayne

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 07, 2013 15:34 |  #263

Chet wrote in post #15907802 (external link)

I do everything in TIFF files, works for me.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

lapino
502 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 07, 2013 15:34 |  #264

Again I have a feeling everyone is very vocal about this, but people here are still a minority. Adobe will sell loads of this, I am sure. Just too bad there is no lower price for hobbyists and only for teachers. They could easily extend this to 'non professionals'. I would pay 20/month with a smile but won't pay 61 euros as an individual who is not a teacher.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/23660915@N07/ (external link)
Gear: Fuji X-T2 / 18-55/2.8-4 / 23/1.4 / 56/1.2 / 55-200/ RX100M4

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 07, 2013 15:39 |  #265

I would be looking for alternatives. This is an opportunity for other software to step it up.

Lightroom= Aperature or Photomechanic

Photoshop = Gimp

This will be a great opportunity for other software companies to fill the void left by Photoshop.

I am not going to be held hostage to Adobe.. I will use Lightrooom and CS5 until it is no longer viable.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 15:42 |  #266

scorpio_e wrote in post #15907841 (external link)
I would be looking for alternatives. This is an opportunity for other software to step it up.

Lightroom= Aperature or Photomechanic

Photoshop = Gimp

This will be a great opportunity for other software companies to fill the void left by Photoshop.

I am not going to be held hostage to Adobe.. I will use Lightrooom and CS5 until it is no longer viable.

Lightroom won't change (for now). There will be a Lightroom 5 to buy outside the CCBS.

-Wayne

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,595 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 07, 2013 15:45 |  #267

alann wrote in post #15907674 (external link)
You are incorrect. If I can pay 29.99 per month and have complete use of CS6 for a year. But since I own it I can pay 9.99 per month for a year then pay 49.99 per month after that. From what I understand once they go to on line only I am forced to use the service if I want to upgrade at any time. Then once I quite the monthly payments my CS6 is useless ( If I understand all of this correctly) because they deactivate it when you stop payment. If I am wrong please let me know. If the above is true I could have just rented (for the same monthly fee after a year) instead of paying 600.00 and a monthly fee.

...you don't understand it correctly. I suggest you calm down, follow the instructions given to you by the customer service rep and visit the adobe website. The answer to your question "have you wasted your money" is no. You have a working copy of CS6 and you will have that as long as you like. You won't loose the ability to use your copy of CS6. You won't need to subscribe to the cloud unless you want to use any new features that get released that are very likely to be incremental for the next couple of years at least. Asking loaded questions to customer service reps who are forced to answer as politely as possible won't help you get answers.

And $600.00 for CS6? Count yourself lucky. We pay $1589.00 for the same product down under. (external link) I started using Creative Cloud a couple of months ago: its the first time that photoshop has actually been within my budget. And you guys are seriously underestimating how beneficial this will be for small business cashflow.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,671 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 07, 2013 15:48 |  #268

Shadowblade wrote in post #15907803 (external link)

I have years of .psd in layers, as the files are much smaller.
For tiff, first additional layer doubles the file size, next one triples the original, etc..

for .psd, it does not.
and I use 16 bit, so it adds up a lot.

That said, I will one day have to resave all those .psd in tiff.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Mike ­ Photo
530 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2006

May 07, 2013 15:51 |  #269

I know this is a hot button issue right now and there are lots of different photographers with different needs that may be effected more or less.

I just wanted to point out that with this subscription not only do you get a free behance account but that account also includes a free Prosite.

These sites are very impressive so a lot of the smaller photographers who are always asking what sites should I use should check this out. A lot of people are probably paying more for their site annually then then they would for a Photoshop sub with free website.

Anyway check out what some of these free websites could look like for you.
Behance Prosites (external link)

Instagram (external link)
MIKE PHOTO

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 07, 2013 15:53 |  #270

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15907878 (external link)
I...........

That said, I will one day have to resave all those .psd in tiff.

I'm curious, why this train of thought? If adobe changes their psd file format, that doesn't mean that previous versions of Ps will stop working with psd files they produced. Nor does it mean that third party software manufacturers will stop supporting the original psd file format. More likely it will be similar to Office products, where you are given compatibility options when you save your work.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

sponsored links

111,409 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.