Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 May 2013 (Monday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe goes Subscription only

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2013 15:57 |  #271

scorpio_e wrote in post #15907897 (external link)
One of the reasons Adobe is going cloud based.

I don't think this true. Keep in mind their product is not really cloud based so I don't see how it will help with piracy. The pirates will just hack out the subscription checks in the same way they can bypass activations today.

sponsored links
olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,928 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

May 07, 2013 15:58 |  #272

I am making benches and tables for a living. I need a screwdriver and hammer. I buy them, so it is at my place all the time.
When once a year I need some uber small screwdriver for a laptop, I borrow it from a mate for an exchange of couple beers [rent it].
And exactly that's why I do not want to rent the hammer, because everytime to rent it will cost me boxes of beers, that is waaay more than the hammer is worth.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 16:05 |  #273

Looking throught CC FAQ I found this:

I currently have a previous, perpetual-licensed Creative Suite edition on my computer. Will I be able to use both my Creative Suite products and the new Creative Cloud applications on my computer?

Yes, your existing Creative Suite installation will not be affected by installing the new CC applications. For example, you can install and use both Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC on the same computer.

Good news. I will always be able to go back to CS6 even if I decide to try out the cloud for the special first year pricing.

Also saw this in the 5 Myths post on the CC website:

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you’ll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days. However, you’ll be able to use products for 180 days even if you’re offline.

So, they give you a little wiggle room on the monthly subscription validation.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 07, 2013 16:06 |  #274

banquetbear wrote in post #15907854 (external link)
And you guys are seriously underestimating how beneficial this will be for small business cashflow.

Recurring fixed costs are not good for any business that has seasonal ebbs and flows. They're best avoided if possible in favor of costs that scale with income and one-time expenditures that can be paid during times of feast.

In other words, I may buy a new computer, software updates, and cameras as well as deliverables when business is up. When business is down, however, I don't buy those things. It's bad enough to have rent/mortgage, car, and insurance payments when there is little income. Adding Photoshop to that list when it could be or was a one time, feast-time expenditure is just ridiculous.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 16:11 |  #275

ToddR wrote in post #15907701 (external link)
Exactly. They want to traffic a bit on that buzzword with their marketing for the reasons/features you've described.

I just wanted to draw the distinction for the actual software, lest someone think it functions like Google Docs and wouldn't be usable if they weren't continuously online, etc. while using it.

I saw remarks somewhere (either in this thread or elsewhere; I forget) where people were concerned about situations where they're working on a computer without internet access for periods of varying lengths, and were wondering about how it would work, etc.

I know that I initally posted something along these lines, as I thought that it would validate the subscription/license each time the program is opened. It seems that this only occurs once each month. Even still, how do I know when that 1x is going to occur? Do I need to keep a log to track it? Because I have no idea when I'm going to travel and be without internet access. Maybe I'm in-flight and PS decides it needs to 'connect and validate'... sorry, no PS work for that flight, unless I'm on a carrier that offers online WiFi (usually another expense). So, yes, I agree that 1x a month is 'better' but I still hate the idea as a whole.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

ThreeGuysPhoto
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 07, 2013 16:13 |  #276

drvnbysound wrote in post #15907973 (external link)
I know that I initally posted something along these lines, as I thought that it would validate the subscription/license each time the program is opened. It seems that this only occurs once each month. Even still, how do I know when that 1x is going to occur? Do I need to keep a log to track it? Because I have no idea when I'm going to travel and be without internet access. Maybe I'm in-flight and PS decides it needs to 'connect and validate'... sorry, no PS work for that flight, unless I'm on a carrier that offers online WiFi (usually another expense). So, yes, I agree that 1x a month is 'better' but I still hate the idea as a whole.

Look at my post above...you can go 180 days offline.

-Wayne
three guys (external link) | flickr (external link) | gear

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 16:14 |  #277

cdifoto wrote in post #15907951 (external link)
Recurring fixed costs are not good for any business that has seasonal ebbs and flows. They're best avoided if possible in favor of costs that scale with income and one-time expenditures that can be paid during times of feast.

In other words, I may buy a new computer, software updates, and cameras as well as deliverables when business is up. When business is down, however, I don't buy those things. It's bad enough to have rent/mortgage, car, and insurance payments when there is little income. Adding Photoshop to that list when it could be or was a one time, feast-time expenditure is just ridiculous.

I agree with this. The phrase I've been thinking of is, Total Ownership Cost (TOC). Over the lifetime of this new format it will cost a LOT more to 'own' Photoshop.

dalto
758 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2013 16:17 |  #278

drvnbysound wrote in post #15907984 (external link)
I agree with this. The phrase I've been thinking of is, Total Ownership Cost (TOC). Over the lifetime of this new format it will cost a LOT more to 'own' Photoshop.

To me, the issue far greater than the cost is lack of a perpetual license.

Lets say I pay Adobe $9,000 over the next 15 years. At the end of that period, I have *nothing*. In the perpetual licensing model at least I will still continue to own rights to the last version I bought even if it doesn't have the latest features.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

May 07, 2013 16:28 |  #279

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #15907878 (external link)
I have years of .psd in layers, as the files are much smaller.
For tiff, first additional layer doubles the file size, next one triples the original, etc..

for .psd, it does not.
and I use 16 bit, so it adds up a lot.

That said, I will one day have to resave all those .psd in tiff.

Meh, I just put up with 6GB, multilayer, 16-bit, 100 megapixel TIFFs...

If there were more editing options for 32-bit files, I would save them as such.

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,835 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 07, 2013 16:29 |  #280

dalto wrote in post #15907992 (external link)

Lets say I pay Adobe $9,000 over the next 15 years. At the end of that period, I have *nothing*. In the perpetual licensing model at least I will still continue to own rights to the last version I bought even if it doesn't have the latest features.

Some may be forgetting what you have just stated.
It is like renting an apartment. At the end of the lease you have to leave everything behind, including your storage space, etc...
It would be something if one was to get the latest version to take with them when they left, that would change things a little.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 07, 2013 16:37 |  #281

cdifoto wrote in post #15907951 (external link)

...well no that is an opinion, not necessarily best practice. There are many ways to manage cashflow and you obviously have chosen yours. I didn't plan on getting photoshop at all for the next few years because in my forecast cashflows I didn't see a $1500.00 spike at all that I wasn't going to commit to either gear upgrades or reserves. I was content on using GIMP even though it took me forever to do basic tasks. Now my cashflow hardly takes a hit: its the price of four cups of coffee a month. If there was no Creative Cloud I wouldn't be using photoshop right now. And I won't be the only business that makes that same decision: for many businesses its smart to spread out costs like this and it would be ridiculous to do otherwise.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 16:45 |  #282

pwm2 wrote in post #15907752 (external link)
But then the majority of users of cracked versions of Photoshop have never been potential customers.

I've seen this in other threads (re: other software) but I've never fully accepted this. I know people who have used cracked version of various software in the past... some for multiple years. However, I also know that each of these same people have also purchased said software at some point.

Personally, I was looking to purchase CS6 within the next 6-8 months... but at this point, there is little to no chance that I will do so. I'm definitely not going to pay a monthly subscription. I've been cancelling as many of those as I can.

Heck, I had XM satellite radio for over 10 years - I cancelled it last month. Not because we couldn't afford it, but because I didn't want to pay for it any longer. My commute to work is at least 30 minutes, during which time I enjoyed listening to XM, but it just got to the point where we decided it wasn't worth it. It wasn't worth it for a service that my wife and I both used DAILY... which is why I don't foresee paying a similar monthly fee for something that I certainly don't use daily.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 16:51 |  #283

banquetbear wrote in post #15908055 (external link)
...well no that is an opinion, not necessarily best practice. There are many ways to manage cashflow and you obviously have chosen yours. I didn't plan on getting photoshop at all for the next few years because in my forecast cashflows I didn't see a $1500.00 spike at all that I wasn't going to commit to either gear upgrades or reserves. I was content on using GIMP even though it took me forever to do basic tasks. Now my cashflow hardly takes a hit: its the price of four cups of coffee a month. If there was no Creative Cloud I wouldn't be using photoshop right now. And I won't be the only business that makes that same decision: for many businesses its smart to spread out costs like this and it would be ridiculous to do otherwise.

Couldn't you have managed the same monthly expense had you financed the purchase yourself? ... and at the end of it, you would own it.

This where where I see little benefit of the monthly expense. I can put the purchase of PS on a credit card and pay monthly payments. The ONLY benefit I see is that you continue to get upgrades... as long as you keep paying.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 07, 2013 16:54 |  #284

dalto wrote in post #15907992 (external link)

Sure. However, that's not TOTAL ownership cost.

You must factor in (or attempt to) the cost of both options. Based on past experience, how many times have you upgraded PS? Once every 3 years? How much did that cost? Multiply that out over the life you think you will use PS. Then do the same with the new Cloud option. Comare the price.

You are right, at the end you don't own anything... but what does it matter? If you've factored in the same amount of time that you expect to use the product... because at day X+1, you don't need to own it, because you don't need it anymore.

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,598 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

May 07, 2013 16:56 |  #285

drvnbysound wrote in post #15908118 (external link)
Couldn't you have managed the same monthly expense had you financed the purchase yourself? ... and at the end of it, you would own it.

This where where I see NO benefit of the monthly expense. I can put the purchase of PS on a credit card and pay monthly payments. The ONLY benefit I see is that you continue to get upgrades... as long as you keep paying.

...at $20.00 a month it would take six years to pay it off. And I would be using a version that was six years old. If I close my business at the end of the year I would simply stop my subscription: and would only be $240.00 "out of pocket". A $1500.00 software expenditure is classed as capital expenditure here: so would have to be depreciated. A twenty dollar subscription isn't a capital cost. There are plenty of advantages for small business here.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

sponsored links

115,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adobe goes Subscription only
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.