Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
Thread started 08 May 2013 (Wednesday) 05:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much editing is enough?

JohanBorjesson
187 posts
Joined Mar 2013

May 08, 2013 05:52 |  #1

How much editing in Lightroom do you guys do on dogs?

Flickr (external link)
500px (external link)

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 14, 2013 17:15 |  #2

I shoot animals from time to time for adoption agencies and I really don't do any editing on animal photos except to adjust exposure if need be, or clone out a toy I'm using to keep the dog's attention if it gets in the frame by accident. I think natural works best for animals/pets.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,288 posts
Gallery: 82 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 14, 2013 22:05 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #3

by contrast, I edit the crap out of them... :D

but I like editing

this from today, taken at f/1.8

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_3482 (external link) by Immaculens.com (external link), on Flickr

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 10-18 IS STM
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

bayberry
262 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 15, 2013 23:22 |  #4

About this much:

IMAGE: http://www.juliewardphotography.com/photos/i-tNzkRx6/0/XL/i-tNzkRx6-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.juliewardphotography.com/photos/i-KjpdcfH/0/XL/i-KjpdcfH-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.juliewardphotography.com/photos/i-V6hBs5M/0/XL/i-V6hBs5M-XL.jpg

http://juliewardphotog​raphy.com (external link)

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,288 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 16, 2013 01:09 as a reply to  @ bayberry's post |  #5

the horse through the water is a great image!

7Dmk II gripped | 5Dc | 100-400L IS II | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 10-18 IS STM

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 16, 2013 14:32 |  #6

Immaculens wrote in post #15933117 (external link)
by contrast, I edit the crap out of them... :D

but I like editing

this from today, taken at f/1.8

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_3482 (external link) by Immaculens.com (external link), on Flickr

Great work

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Mighty ­ Spider
26 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 19, 2013 07:49 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban
SPAM PUT AWAY
This post is marked as spam.
joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,395 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Aug 19, 2013 08:07 |  #8

Do seals count? I actually spend more time on exposure (their colors range from gray to black) and eye focus (the camera likes the nose at the end of a long snout, always at the expense of the eyes, even shooting at f/11). After that, I usually adjust levels, exposure, and sharpness and add my by-line.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,288 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Aug 19, 2013 10:42 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #9

[what a very strange coincidence... I looked at this thread yesterday (just the title) while going through all my old threads and doing a lot of deleting and suddenly this thread should get attention today after so long. Obviously I didn't delete this one...]

My question is - when doing a photo shoot and put them on disc for a client - "How much editing is enough" for each image? How many images do you fully edit, how many partially, how many at all? How much to charge... practices and answers vary so much its hard to decide, if you get an answer at all.

based on the length of the session - my client gets a few full resolution images (for print options) so obviously 'those' are fully edited, but if you give them 30+ images.... yeash.

Present the client 12 edited images - best of the bunch - and they choose which will be full resolution. Then pop all others in a folder and call it 'additional images' which would lower expectations of their editing quality...

I'm at a point where 1 to 2 minutes tops of edit time will crop it - and give it attention in the Basic Panel of Lightroom and export it (I use an import preset that already sharpens and various other things)... so I guess 30 images would take 30-45 minutes, once you have culled them down to that number from the whole session.

These questions come up in the Business section from time to time - and there seems to be no standard practice in this digital age yet. Clients essentially 'expect' a disk full of images - versus - the film days where you pay for each printed image.

I'm fully aware my whole post is slightly off-topic from the OP's question but it is a logical extension of it.

sirquack
Goldmember
2,598 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Aug 23, 2013 09:43 |  #10

This is how I apply things to all shoots. I do cull, then basic adjustments on all remaining images. I find my top 5 favorites and fully edit to my liking. Then I post all to a hosting site and have the client pick 5 they want me to fully process. They usually pick some of my top five. If not, I end up processing about 10 full images. They get the top five and any of their picks in a folder called Edits, and all others on the CD for their use. Doing the basic adjustments usually takes 30 seconds or less, so not too much to provide those. They usually end up happy and I only spend time working on their and my favorites for more than 30 seconds. I have my workflow pretty set with import presets for LR. So most of the hard work is done before I even see the images on the filmstrip.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,875 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much editing is enough?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Pets Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.