Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 May 2013 (Wednesday) 14:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help choosing best camera for $500

Daruuk
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 08, 2013 14:54 |  #1

I own a small photography business which started as a hobby but has begun to pick up clients recently. I have very little capital, so I chose to buy a Canon T2i a couple of years ago instead of higher priced options, choosing instead to spend some decent money on a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens.
This setup has been working well so far, but as I get more work, I've become increasingly frustrated with the quality of many of the images I've been producing-- they're not as sharp as I'd like. I want to upgrade to another model with sharper focus.

My budget is between $500-700, which puts me in the range of a 1Dmkiii, 5DMki, 50D, or 60D. I need help deciding what to go for with the end goal of sharper focus than the t2i. Any advice?

Thanks!

sponsored links
Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2013 15:37 |  #2

I don't think buying another camera body will make your pictures sharper. With that combo you should be getting great pictures that are sharp. I think it has more to do with technique rather then camera.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,262 posts
Gallery: 293 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2013 15:42 |  #3

I agree with Patrick. If you cant get sharp images with the gear you have, its not likely that a new camera will help. Its likely a matter of technique. Can you post an example so we can see where the issue might be? There are things other than focus that can contribute to a lack of sharpness.

Daruuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 08, 2013 15:43 |  #4

Saint728 wrote in post #15911837 (external link)
I don't think buying another camera body will make your pictures sharper. With that combo you should be getting great pictures that are sharp. I think it has more to do with technique rather then camera.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Thanks for the advice... do you have any suggestions for how to improve technique to produce sharper photos?

Stelvio
165 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2010

May 08, 2013 15:46 as a reply to  @ Saint728's post |  #5

Like the previous poster said you should be getting sharp photos with the setup you already have. That said if you really want to get a different body on a budget I'd go for one of the 1d series, 1d mkII n or mk III if you can get one. Focus is faster and the amount of focus points really helps, esoecially with fast moving subjects.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 08, 2013 16:00 |  #6

Don't focus/recompose, turn on your focus indicator dot so you can see where the focus point was in the shot, make sure you're not shooting with too slow of a shutter speed,...

If you are shooting JPEG, you can turn up the sharpening in your picture styles.

The T2i is perfectly capable of taking razor sharp photos with good glass and technique.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 08, 2013 16:04 |  #7

Daruuk wrote in post #15911864 (external link)
Thanks for the advice... do you have any suggestions for how to improve technique to produce sharper photos?

quick generalization... Stop shaking so much and stay as stable as possible and use a faster shutter. Also mentioned before, stop focus recomposing especially at shallow DoF

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 08, 2013 16:08 |  #8

If you're doing portraits and shoot wide open, I suggest getting a prime lens such as the 85mm f/1.8 or swapping your T2i for a 5D and use the 24-70mm on it. Both will improve the quality. But it sounds like you are having an issue getting the plane of focus where you want. Is this the case? Are you using tripod and live view to verify your equipment is o.k.?

In any case, if you are doing portraits, lighting is probably the factor that will affect the final image most.

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2013 16:11 |  #9

As said before, post a picture. It will be easier for everyone to see what your talking about and we can give you some advice on how to get a sharper picture.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 08, 2013 16:20 |  #10

I can't believe nobody mentioned this. If you are using a filter, stop.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,800 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2013 16:22 as a reply to  @ Saint728's post |  #11

Sharper focus?
550D and L are very effective in terms of focusing on clients if they are not jumping into the sky.
Sharper images advice?
Get your photos here if you want valuable advice instead of wide guessing.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Daruuk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2013

May 08, 2013 16:39 |  #12

Saint728 wrote in post #15911966 (external link)
As said before, post a picture. It will be easier for everyone to see what your talking about and we can give you some advice on how to get a sharper picture.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Camera: T2i
Lens: 24-70 mm / f 2.8
ISO: 1600
Focal Length: 34 mm
Exposure Time: 1/60 Sec
F-stop: 3.5

Camera: T2i
Lens : 50mm / f 1.8
ISO: 1600
Focal Length: 50 mm
Exposure Time: 1/1000 Sec
F-stop: 1.8

Ok, here's two examples (straight from the camera, neither has been processed in photoshop)

I shoot families, weddings and babies, so many of my shots will be inside without a tripod. I have been guilty of focus/recompose, but in these examples the center AF point with no recompose was used. The one and a half year old int he top photo was moving, but there was relatively little movement in the bottom photo.

Teach me, senseis :-)

[EDIT] EXIF data to come when I have access to it this evening
[EDIT] EXIF data added

Tommy1957
Goldmember
1,288 posts
Joined Apr 2013

May 08, 2013 16:44 |  #13

EXIF data intact, please.

Some comments from an amateur. The first one looks to be focused on the kid's left shoulder and way too wide an aperture. I don't care for the extreme downward angle in that shot. It does exaggerate the DOF problem, also.

The second one NEEDS more DOF. My guess on that one is f/1.8 or close to it. Stopping down would improve the sharpness and the DOF.

peabody2468
191 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 08, 2013 17:24 |  #14

Just to be sure, I'd suggest you do some test shots using a tripod and the self-timer, and auto-focusing on something like a newspaper taped to the wall. If those shots turn out sharp, then the camera and lenses are working right, and it must be a technique issue - either not focusing on the right thing, or too wide open, or focus and recompose, or plain old camera shake with the shutter too slow. But as others have said, the T2i should produce pictures just as sharp as any camera. It's what I use, and unless I screw up, it's as sharp as a tack.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 08, 2013 20:16 |  #15

I would also suggest doing a focus test. There are many threads on these forums that discuss how to do them or you can google it as well. It is possible that your lenses are front/back focusing. If so, you can send them along with the camera to all get calibrated together by Canon, or if you are set on buying a new camera, be sure to get one that has micro focus adjustments.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

sponsored links

2,924 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help choosing best camera for $500
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.