Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 12 May 2013 (Sunday) 15:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3

J ­ Michael
972 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

May 22, 2013 21:59 |  #46

pwm2 wrote in post #15934373 (external link)
By people being angry that Canon doesn't release the source code so everyone can have a chance to rewrite the camera software. Basically thinking it is wrong that the ML functionality have required reverse engineering.

Given the interest in hacking the GH2&3 and 5D, there's definitely a niche for an OpenSource camera.

sponsored links
Allan.L
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 22, 2013 23:17 |  #47

To all n00bs arguing against Canon, do a four year business degree. If any of you n00bs arguing against Canon HAVE a four year business degree, then you're bitter because you can't play the game, lol.

romanv
223 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 22, 2013 23:42 |  #48

Oh look, another smug apologist who's not only content with a lack of innovation, but admires it from his ivory tower. How neat.

You're right though. You sound exactly like someone with a business degree working in a large corporation, if that was the purpose of your thinly veiled brag.

Allan.L
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 23, 2013 00:55 |  #49

Lol I'm just a student, no real work experience yet :) Other than being an ex pro cyclist. I do seem to understand the real world better than some people though...

Allan.L
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 23, 2013 01:03 |  #50

I'm partially just starting sh*t... Even though most of what I say is true, it's provocative. What Canon is doing is both smart and frustrating. I am a business student and a consumer, I understand both worlds decently. For example, I laugh at how they milked the rebel series and their 18mp sensor. It's brilliant and humiliating at the same time. Try to run a successful business while pleasing everyone. We on POTN are a select few, we are NOT the majority and that has been discussed many times on other threads. Pleasing US is the LEAST of Canon's concerns, sadly. Anyways, now you know how I stand and hopefully you can sleep decently. I'm passing the fk out.

romanv
223 posts
Joined Jul 2012

May 23, 2013 01:07 |  #51

I'm not ignorant to business models or marketing strategy; but I dont have rose tinted glasses on when it comes to why or how business decisions are eventuated apon in a large corporate environment either.

People raised an absolute **** storm to get Canon to include the clean HDMI out on the 5D mk3, and what did they get? A half arsed result after a very long time.
The problem with how corporations work, is that there are so many levels of detachment between what someone wants, and the end result that it's almost impossible to deliver what was expected.

For example:

Canons CSRs field complaints/criticisms/​suggestions from the public.
Team leaders hear the complaints from CSRs.
*A few more levels of detachment, long period of time passes*
Business Analysts speak with the team leaders etc, half way understanding what's been said so far.
*more time passes*
Business Analysts draft up some proposals based their recollections on the above, hand to a Project Manager.
*more time passes*
A Project Manager says "Not enough money" so cuts an important chunk out of the project. (cough audio recording cough)
*more time passes*
Engineers get given the project, with a strict "Do this and no more no less and hurry up we're behind schedule already"
Marketing team rolls out the project, not knowing what they're talking about because they arent technical people.
The public recieves the end result which is nothing like what they were asking for, or what would be useful in any way, and it's cost MILLIONS.
Everyone involved in the project pats themselves on the back for doing their part really well, and everyone gets pay rises.
Canon CSRs field a bunch of complaints about how crappy it is, and the long cycle starts all over again.

Repeat onwards for infinity, and that's corporate life. Not just at Canon, but pretty much everywhere.

None of the above means I have to change my opinions about their products, or how they are delivered; even if it's impossible to do any better within the frame work of a large corporation. Thinking that things are crap and need to improve, is the catalyst for what little change ever actually gets made.

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

May 23, 2013 02:25 |  #52

romanv wrote in post #15958856 (external link)
Oh look, another smug apologist who's not only content with a lack of innovation, but admires it from his ivory tower. How neat.

You're right though. You sound exactly like someone with a business degree working in a large corporation, if that was the purpose of your thinly veiled brag.

Not sure who "you" is - if you want to debate on a public forum and use the word "you", then you'll better make sure you manage to aim your comments so it is possible to figure out the target for "you".

Next thing - people needn't have to like Canon's strategies to realize that Canon has the right to decide them. It is, of course, possible to debate them. But to expect them to do what basically no other company does is a bit optimistic.

In the threads about Adobe no longer selling perpetual licenses, people discuss an Adobe decision that is very different from most other companies selling similar types of products. In this thread, people wants to argue why Canon should behave different from most other product-owning companies.

Some things would be good if Canon could include in all their cameras - like timer functionality. But to think that Canon should make the most of all shipped hardware, without caring for their other models, and how they would canibalize on each others market shares, isn't really part of sane business logic.

Canon - like most other companies - wants to keep down their costs. So it is meaningful to strive for hardware and software reuse. Which means that they sometimes have to turn off functionality of that common hardware or software just to separate products.

It must even be accepted that there sometimes are product niches a company don't want to sell a single product in. They might have deduced that any sales in that niche will not bring any new money. Any sales will only come from customers who would normally have bought some other of their products. So adding own costs while getting no new income would then be a bad strategy.

Posters here regularly wants to make the shocking statement that "they just want to make money". Just that this isn't shocking. The majority of all companies exists just to make money to their owners. That is their main task. Making their customers happy is just one strategy to maximize their income by getting a loyal customer base so they get return customers. And so they get free PR where one customer manages to get another person to become a customer too. But this still doesn't mean that a company should focus on doing the best products they can. The company - not the customers - must make the decision if they think it would be an advantage to make better products.

Sometimes, a company can make better products without extra costs. Just that there is a too large distance between the customers and the people who makes the decisions. That would be a failure of the company.

When it comes to cameras, this world have an almost infinite amount of customer feedback available on the net. So any company that wants to pick up feedback can, without taking direct contact with their customers. But the decisions are still up to the company, and people here aren't automatically fan boys for pointing that out.

There is a big difference between "I would like them to sell [...]"" and "I demand that they [...]". People sometimes thinks their arguments are stronger or more convincing if they demand something. Silly, since they aren't normally in a position to demand - just wish.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 23, 2013 06:25 |  #53

All I know is that I'm more than happy to buy from companies that don't needlessly bottleneck technology - like Blackmagic Design. Canon is probably still at least a year away from release anything close to what the BMCC is now. And the only reason it's a year and not 3 is because a smaller company with no product line to protect forced their hand.

momentz
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 29, 2013 02:31 |  #54

charro callado wrote in post #15959273 (external link)
All I know is that I'm more than happy to buy from companies that don't needlessly bottleneck technology - like Blackmagic Design. Canon is probably still at least a year away from release anything close to what the BMCC is now. And the only reason it's a year and not 3 is because a smaller company with no product line to protect forced their hand.

Except that now thanks to ML the 5D3 is pretty much on par with Blackmagic.

I'll just leave this here. Although it took me a day to work out how to go from stock firmware to having a 3GB 30 second AVI file from my 5D3, to be able to work with video raw was quite remarkable, and adds massive value to the 5D3 imo, even if I hardly ever use it!

https://vimeo.com/6718​9942 (external link)

Canon EOS
Eos is the Titanic goddess of the dawn, who rose from her home at the edge of Oceanus, the Ocean that surrounds the world, to herald her brother Helios, the sun.

SillyGuy
929 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 15, 2013 04:40 |  #55

ok.......so if i wanna put ML on my 5d3, will my photography be affected by it? i'm a n00b

thx

My Website (external link) | My Blog (external link)

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 15, 2013 07:58 |  #56

One of these days i will delve into the world of video. Once i have upgraded to a FF camera for stills, i want to use my 60D for video to record events like graduations, weddings ect, but im wondering if the sensor wont get overheated due to the ML hack that allows longer recording times. Should i worry about that?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

ArcticShooter
Goldmember
1,828 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 19, 2013 09:28 |  #57

So now you can also do RAW video on the mkII but not full HD. As I understand the writing speed is not fast enough to handle full HD. I think I have to try it out this weekend

Helge
Summer is great :)

My gearMy (external link)Flickr  (external link) (external link)G+ (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 19, 2013 10:04 |  #58

ArcticShooter wrote in post #16134470 (external link)
So now you can also do RAW video on the mkII but not full HD. As I understand the writing speed is not fast enough to handle full HD. I think I have to try it out this weekend

Interesting, they were able to get 1080p out of the 50D so I wonder what the hang up is?

Joel

sponsored links

9,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.